Mass Effect - Uncharted Worlds

SkinnyT

I'm currently working on a remix of the "Uncharted Worlds" track from the original Mass Effect. Just thought I'd post what I've done so far and maybe get some response from you guys. The track might feel a bit empty right now, but I'm working on that. ;-)

FL Studio 9 + Zebra2 plugin used.

Bitrate: 192kbps

Length: 2:26

Speed: 120BPM

me04_2.jpg

Ver. 1: http://www.skinnyt.com/media/new_worlds_wip.mp3

Ver. 2: http://www.skinnyt.com/media/new_worlds_wip.mp3

Some eq or filter edits to bring out the ostinato and bass a little more would be good, they're a bit buried under the more clear instrumentation... which is ok when you have a more clear sound in the foreground, but sounds poorly mixed when you don't.

Slow, atmospheric, and retro synths. :D I don't think it's empty, a bit minimal in the arrangement but I don't mind, it's a cool style. Would make a nice addition to ocr, but it's a bit repetitive and doesn't do much, doesn't go anywhere. imo anyway. Dunno how the source is used, so can't say about that.

Cool style, cool sound, good luck mixing. :D

I like it, reminds me of the music from The Terminator which is no bad thing

I don't know the source very well, but i feel like it's missing something big and really memorable, not that it's bad as it is, i just reckon it needs a big SHAZAM! I've only listened to the source once or twice so i don't know it too well, but i can say that your piece sticks to the source quite closely, so it'd be nice to hear some more variation and big stand out moments.

can you post the source in this thread as well? i know it's easy enough to look up on youtube, but it would be just that little bit more helpful.

Thanks! ;-)

The original is quite a slow and chilling song, like you're drifting away into space. :)

You can have a listen at it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpu5cTk_qvI

I guess I've been sticking a bit closely to the original material, at least the melodies of the song. Could always try some improvisation around the theme.. I don't know. I'm gonna work some more on it later, right now my head hurts. :-P

• 3 weeks later...

conservative yes, but damn that sounded awesome. modify some of those core synth parts a bit more and maybe try adding some sort of percussion elements. the synth arrangement is very driving on it's own but a bit of percussive backing wouldn't hurt. the sampled instruments sound excellent.

good stuff. i love where this is going.