OCR02050 - SimCity 2000 "SimFunkadelic"

djpretzel

I can never get enough of funk remixes, so this was particularly delicious to me. The guitar was excellent, the organ work was smooth, and everything just came together perfectly. I was also surprised by how imminently loopable the track is... I didn't even realize it had ended until I was 30 seconds into the next playing. Clearly I could listen to this all day.

I'm not familiar with the source, but this reminds me a lot of the music in Transport Tycoon. I think you would be able to make a pretty decent remix of any track from that game too (though I'm not sure its soundtrack would qualify for OCReMixing). I'm not big on the drums, I think they could definitely have been more interesting, both in terms of samples and of arrangement, but I love the bass. I'm guessing those are samples that just happened to fit here, but they totally work.

Very catchy! This song was made for funk, I now feel.

If I *had* to be critically constructive about anything (only because you asked!), I'd say the very short intro made me stumble a bit. Maybe it's the pause. But then it picked right up and never stopped. Great!

I played SimCity 2000 a few times. Only for the disasters, though. MAN was it awesome to unleash an alien on a really big city. And just like Vinnie, I cheated like a mofo at it just to get satisfaction (mostly because I didn't understand how to actually play the game). Regardless, this took me back and I decided to go listen to the source tunes again. Wonderful trip down memory lane there.

I have to echo the TOO SHORT criticism. You really could have gone on for at least another minute or two with what you had without overstaying your welcome, because the groove you mustered up with this makes me salivate for more. The guitar and bass riffs are so tasty, shaft-style. Love the stereo you used on the guitar hard-panning. You processed them very very well, just like the rest of the mix. Nice use of percussion too. This is one of those mixes that keeps my attention just because of how it is layered.

Kickass song, dudes. Keep it up, I can't wait to hear more.

• 2 weeks later...

....I liked it enough to start expecting samples from the actual game: like when you erect a police or fire station, etc.

Or perhaps you thought that would be tacky? I must know: was "to add samples or not add samples" a question you grappled with?

I can never get enough of funk remixes, so this was particularly delicious to me.

Seconded. As someone who loves songs like El Lagarto and the music from the very first GTA, the remix at hand is a treat. The choice of instruments is perfect, particularly the guitars and the organ. The sound of the guitar coming in at 0:37 is awesome; same goes for 1:05.

Not much to criticise; the ending is a bit abrupt, and the volume is rather low.

• 1 year later...

Hearing the source tune, it reminded me that SelectaNovel covered this source during the VGMix days - good times, and I'm glad to see an arrangement of this source surface on OCR :o

So I got to say I'm loving the funk-driven take on this one, given that the original was already kind of bass/groove heavy. Velvet's recorded guitars were extremely tasteful and have shown a great amount of precision and expression towards them, not to mention those are some sick wahs :D

I could've even mistaken the bass for the real thing, given that there's no mention of any bass recording in the description; that's a very strong tone being given out towards it. The additional electric parts accompanying it were definitely well spaced and added to the atmosphere.

To be fair, I don't really understand why it kept getting conditional/NO votes from the panel. Going by the assumption that the organ part originally had brass I could understand, but as it stands I felt it's an extremely well polished contribution towards a more underlooked game. Really digging the approach a lot, and I hope you guys come back soon :)

• 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02050 - SimCity 2000 "SimFunkadelic"