#1 DarkeSword

DarkeSword

Judge, Moderator, For Everlasting Peace Director

• Moderators
  • 14,575 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

http://e3.nintendo.c...i/game/?g=zelda

I'm very excited about this game. The graphics look awesome and all of the hands-on impressions I've read say that the controls are amazing. I read an interview stating that after what Nintendo did with full orchestra music in the Mario Galaxy games, they couldn't very well pass on doing the same for Zelda, so hopefully we'll finally get some real live orchestra in a Zelda game.

#2 Geoffrey Taucer

Geoffrey Taucer

Serious Monkey Business Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

Looks awesome, but I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed that Link is likely to be right handed in all future iterations.
Posted Image
"No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should."
-Ann Druyan

#3 Avatar of Justice

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

http://e3.nintendo.c...i/game/?g=zelda

I'm very excited about this game. The graphics look awesome and all of the hands-on impressions I've read say that the controls are amazing. I read an interview stating that after what Nintendo did with full orchestra music in the Mario Galaxy games, they couldn't very well pass on doing the same for Zelda, so hopefully we'll finally get some real live orchestra in a Zelda game.

Won't that mean the music can no longer change on the fly to match the action? I kind of like that.

The real question is, will they introduce someone just as cool/cooler than Midna?
http://australiscomm...SecondPanel.php
Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the President?

#4 vega12

vega12

Robo (+700)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 737 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Looks awesome, but I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed that Link is likely to be right handed in all future iterations.

Maybe this time around they will offer the option to pick a handedness when you start a new game file? I believe they said they couldn't do it for Twilight Princess without mirroring the entire game, but maybe they learned their lesson from that? :razz:
"Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people."
-Edward R. Harrison
Posted Image

#5 Chernabogue

Chernabogue

Legacy Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

I like the way they mixed up Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker graphics. Hope to see more from this game soon.

#6 BardicKnowledge

BardicKnowledge

Bonus kun (+2900)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

Agreed, lefty Link ftw, especially as a lefty myself.
Posted Image

#7 Sengin

Sengin

Bad Dude (+400)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

The game itself makes me very interested, especially with the (hopefully) 1:1 controls. Although, I could definitely do with a difficulty increase....

However, I'm really iffy on the orchestral music. I have found that orchestral music doesn't fit well with video games to me. While there were a couple of songs I liked of Super Mario Galaxy, most of them are completely forgettable (I can't recall a single song, and I just beat the game for the second time 100% again a month ago) and somewhat bland/boring - too "atmospheric" and made to be background music just to have something other than silence. I always liked the melodies that video game music offered - stuff that got stuck in your head, that you could hum/whistle/bob your head to and really get into, and with this shift to orchestral music, it seems like the majority of songs have put that all away and all the games that do this type of music are very similar sounding, boring pieces of music that just fill the silence (no good original melodies, no good "groove"). Of course, this doesn't mean orchestral music can't be interesting, but I haven't played a game yet (or at least one I can remember off the top of my head) that has orchestral music that is interesting for more than a couple songs. Maybe I haven't played the right game though.

#8 Bahamut

Bahamut

Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,856 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

The game itself makes me very interested, especially with the (hopefully) 1:1 controls. Although, I could definitely do with a difficulty increase....

However, I'm really iffy on the orchestral music. I have found that orchestral music doesn't fit well with video games to me. While there were a couple of songs I liked of Super Mario Galaxy, most of them are completely forgettable (I can't recall a single song, and I just beat the game for the second time 100% again a month ago) and somewhat bland/boring - too "atmospheric" and made to be background music just to have something other than silence. I always liked the melodies that video game music offered - stuff that got stuck in your head, that you could hum/whistle/bob your head to and really get into, and with this shift to orchestral music, it seems like the majority of songs have put that all away and all the games that do this type of music are very similar sounding, boring pieces of music that just fill the silence (no good original melodies, no good "groove"). Of course, this doesn't mean orchestral music can't be interesting, but I haven't played a game yet (or at least one I can remember off the top of my head) that has orchestral music that is interesting for more than a couple songs. Maybe I haven't played the right game though.

Final Fantasy 6?
Liontamer: AND THEY HAVE A PLAYPLACE

#9 Abadoss

Abadoss

Trenches Composer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,699 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR, USA

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

*drool* It sucks that I don't yet have a Wii. This has the potential to top TP as my favorite Zelda game.

#10 Overflow

Overflow

Master Chief (+1800)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

Are you kidding?? I can't get those Galaxy songs out of my head!
http://www.youtube.c.../48/NpAMsN_4VYE
http://www.youtube.c.../53/-i4eAqFNMg4
http://www.youtube.c.../59/OmSDwiAnPPY
http://www.youtube.c.../62/KmodD2IzsFA
http://www.youtube.c...u/1/--rv9r19H-0
http://www.youtube.c...u/2/nYQvAovLaRo
http://www.youtube.c...u/3/_oZk3Tj29M8
http://www.youtube.c...u/4/oQBS6dISFjM

I personally couldn't be more excited for orchestral music!
And yes, Nintendo can make even orchestral music change on the fly. Dive underwater in Mario Galaxy or hit Bowser's weak spot (for massive damage) to see what I mean.
Posted Image
Posted Image
3DS FC: 1461-6201-4828 PM me if you add me! I go as GameBird!

#11 Sengin

Sengin

Bad Dude (+400)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Final Fantasy 6?

Final Fantasy VI's music was amazing, but I wouldn't classify it in the same orchestral sense as stuff from say, Super Mario Galaxy. It sounds extremely different, as FFVI's music wanted to stand out (there's lot of melodies, etc) and Galaxy's seemed to want to stay in the background only so you aren't hearing only sound effects. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Are you kidding?? I can't get those Galaxy songs out of my head!

Those are all from Galaxy 2, which I haven't gotten the chance to play yet (and do sound better than Galaxy 1).

#12 Overflow

Overflow

Master Chief (+1800)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Those are all from Galaxy 2, which I haven't gotten the chance to play yet (and do sound better than Galaxy 1).

Actually, the second 4 are from galaxy 1. They use them in Galaxy 2, but they don't change them at all. They play during some of the secret levels.
Posted Image
Posted Image
3DS FC: 1461-6201-4828 PM me if you add me! I go as GameBird!

#13 ambinate

ambinate

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

man, i couldn't disagree more with all of that stuff about orchestral music in games. both galaxy games, i think, are some of the best examples of music in video games, orchestral or not. most of the music is centered on really distinct melodies, so i find it a little weird to hear someone say that the games are lacking in that department. i can sort of see where you're coming from if you were talking about games like the elder scrolls series, but even still i'd disagree with you.

as for zelda, i'm kinda skeptical right now. it has a nice visual style and looks like it'll be a solid game, but i really wasn't blown away by anything i saw in the trailer or demo. it seems like they added more thorough motion control to the twilight princess formula and that's about it, which is a little disappointing, at least for me. i was sort of hoping they'd figure out a way to create a more dramatic revision of the 3d zelda formula, the way they did with the galaxy series. i love the zelda series, but we've essentially been playing variations on the same game since 1998, while other nintendo franchises have seen much more substantial overhauls in the same timeframe.

#14 Caster13

Caster13

Roll (+350)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

I found Link's movements to be a little awkward looking, especially when he has the sword out. Watching the E3 video where Miyamoto is demonstrating the game, there's a few scenes where Link runs around with the sword held upwards in the air, stiff as a pole.
"I have captured the enemy for meat testing! Praise me! PRAISE ME!!!" -GIR

#15 Schwaltzvald

Schwaltzvald

Wario (+4000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

i was sort of hoping they'd figure out a way to create a more dramatic revision of the 3d zelda formula

Sometimes dramatics can easily overwhelm the developers into doing rash things thus essentially becoming a distraction; an enjoyable one perhaps but a distraction nonetheless.

#16 DarkeSword

DarkeSword

Judge, Moderator, For Everlasting Peace Director

• Moderators
  • 14,575 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

I found Link's movements to be a little awkward looking, especially when he has the sword out. Watching the E3 video where Miyamoto is demonstrating the game, there's a few scenes where Link runs around with the sword held upwards in the air, stiff as a pole.

They actually were experiencing technical difficulties during Miyamoto's demo. The bright lights on stage were messing with the sensors on the wiimotes and causing input hiccups.

If you read any hands-on impressions at the game news website of your choice, people who have tried it out say that the controls are very responsive and aren't prone to those weird input issues we saw during the demo.

#17 OA

OA

Judge, Unsung Heroes Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,877 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

art style looks sick - I admit I have yet to finish a 3d Zelda; usually getting bored about 2/3 through, but I always have a fun time playing them.

I'll probably be picking this up. :D
Posted Image

#18 Kinslayer

Kinslayer

JC Denton (+950)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:39 AM

I like the fact that Link will actually have a shooting sword in a 3D game...
Um? Where did my stuff go?

#19 Moseph

Moseph

Strider Hiryu (+2100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:51 AM

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

(off-color joke about title goes here)

that it's on the wii makes it even better
Posted Image

#20 Velocifero

Velocifero

Alex Kidd (+200)

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:15 AM

Looks interesting. I'll probably get it as I do every other Zelda game. Of course, I'll need a Wii. Maybe the new black one..
Posted Image Posted Image
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums