The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

DarkeSword

• 3 weeks later...

So here's the new trailer if you haven't seen it already:

I think it's looking better, but I'm still worried about the controls. It looks like TP on Wii controls, just more with more angles. I'm sure it'll still be a fun game, but waggle creeping into the game concerns me.

Please tell me it's not going to have that giant controller display taking up an entire 1/4 of the screen or that we can have the option to turn it off. That looks really ridiculous.

You know, as curious and interested as I am in this one (and I usually am when it comes to new Zelda games), that was a surprisingly unexciting trailer. I gather it's for a tech show and all, but other than a few tiny tidbits, it seems mostly like they're still trying to sell the gimmick, instead of the game itself.

Aside from that though, the game looks really good visually and sound-wise. I'm also very curious to know more about the dude sitting on the statue.

^ I pretty much said the same thing. I don't get why Nintendo is so intent on shoving motion controls down gamers' throats. Hardcore gamers grew up on controllers with D-pads (or a joystick) and button(s). If the motion controls aren't perfect, which they well could be, there's basically no reason to force gamers to use them. I'll withhold my final call until I play the game for myself, but I'm skeptical at this point.

In all fairness, I was skeptical of Wind Waker, and while it's far from my favorite, it was still a great game.

^ I pretty much said the same thing. I don't get why Nintendo is so intent on shoving motion controls down gamers' throats. Hardcore gamers grew up on controllers with D-pads (or a joystick) and button(s). If the motion controls aren't perfect, which they well could be, there's basically no reason to force gamers to use them. I'll withhold my final call until I play the game for myself, but I'm skeptical at this point.

Most people don't seem to realize that Nintendo isn't trying to widen the chasm between the "casual" and the "hardcore", it's trying to shorten it. Hence, a Zelda game that's easier to control. It's not a bad thing.

I'm just wishing this game isn't like Phantom Hourglass, where the game was laughably easy, I'm hoping it's more like Spirit Tracks, where it's potential is put to good use.

But I'm optimistic. Three words: Four Armed Stalfos

What I'm hoping for:

High difficulty, at least higher than TP

Orchestral soundtrack

Less fan-service to Ocarina fans, more experimentation and developer freedom

A good feel. That good ol' magic "lost in Hyrule" feeling

I like motion plus and the graphics. That's all I know about the game. Lookin' good. Will pre-order.

Today I realized how shitty I feel for never beating OoT or MM. I'm actually more tempted to play MM. Would you guys recommend it or are the people who say it's just "boring and weird" right?

EDIT: Oh, has anyone played Master Quest? OoT was already kind of difficult to me but I love a challenge.

If you're inclined for MM, complete MM. You're probably not in the "boring and weird" crowd. One of the things I love about MM is that it stretches Zelda conventions pretty far back

As for Master Quest... Worth a play if you're familiarised with OoT dungeons. The MQ dungeons do get a bit insane. But go for OoT first, if you haven't completed it.

Most people don't seem to realize that Nintendo isn't trying to widen the chasm between the "casual" and the "hardcore", it's trying to shorten it. Hence, a Zelda game that's easier to control. It's not a bad thing.

You're right conceptually. I'm more concerned about execution. If the motion controls don't work perfectly for whatever reason, it defeats the purpose.

Well, I started OoT:MQ (widescreen hax ;D)

I'm not familiar with OoT dungeons. I only managed to beat Fire and Forest by myself. I quit literally 2 or 3 times upon reaching the Forest Temple because I couldn't figure it out but one time I did :/ I know you said not to do MQ but I'm gonna be a cocky jerk and do it anyway.

Then MM, even though I really would rather play MM I can't call myself a gamer if I've never beaten OoT.

Wish I could play it like this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZNgyPbga3g

I put MM along with Link's Awakening and Wind Waker as my absolute favorite Zeldas. There is just really nothing I hate at all about MM- I think as a game it's pretty much perfect, and pulls off pathos and atmosphere without being pretentiously artsy.

Good stuff.

I hope the villain (?) that is shown in that new trailer doesn't wind up like Zant.

You know, looks awesome for most of the game, then revealed to be a total fucking pussy.

I mean, Agahnim, for as minor as he was, maintained a badass vibe all throughout. And you could FEEL Majora's influence with every single perverted and wrong thing in Termina, and all the suffering it caused, so even seeing Majora's true form as a shrieking schizo child was somewhat fitting. And hell, other villains like Onox, or Vaati maintained some force of intimidation.

Zant, he just fucking lost it all when he revealed his loser-looking face, danced around like a fool (and not in the cool batshit crazy Majora way), and died the death of a bitch. NOT cool, man.

What I'm hoping for:

Every other miniboss to be a variation of stalfos

GirlyVaati to be some random villain who only sort of resembles vaati and who doesn't really have any solid motivation.

Tons of puzzles where I have to spin around this block I found so that it fits into a slot.

Most enemies to require me to cut them horizontally or vertically with really big lines on their bodies to help me choose.

A Zelda that stays very true to the OoT formula and doesn't try anything new.

heres hoping