OCR01234 - EarthBound "Dreaming on Distant Shores"

djpretzel

At first I didn't like this song, but now it is at the top of my list! I didn't like it at first because it sounded staticky, I didn't recognize it, and it felt repetitive. But after hearing it a couple times, I got hooked on the wonderful, dreamy tune and its awesome drums. I especially like the end when it gets slow and I stop whatever I am doing and dream...

A nice mix. I do believe this is the most ambient thing I've seen on this site. At first I was a little unsure of it, as seems to be the case with everyone else, but after listening my opion changed. The ambience is great because there is other stuff to take away from the repetition and makes it constantly unique. I can't believe I've gone this long without seeing this mix. I almost feel ashamed to call myself an OCR veteran, or even an Earthbound veteran.

VERY good stuff here. VERV good. Highly reccommended.

• 2 months later...

I LOVE this song! It sounds so beautiful! I especially loved the ending, how the piano comes in. EarthBound is my favorite game of all time and this song is perfect for it. Great Job Rellik. If you made a cd with this type of music, I would buy it. Speaking of which, what would you classify this type of music as? Trance? I would like to find come cds with this similar type of music because I love it so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I can hear the similarities in various Earthbound songs within this beautiful piece, although I haven't quite finished the game yet :oops: , but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a completely awesome and well put together piece.

I understand that most remixes are very time consuming, and therefore I show my respect to all you remixers out there. I would be remixing right now if I had the correct equipment......and I'm getting there, but until then I 'll enjoy beautiful masterpieces that inspire me to make something incredible, such as this one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've listened to every song on OCR, and this is definitely one of my favorites. This is also one of the songs, on a short list of about a dozen, that have ever made me cry.

Simply put, this song is beautiful. With its haunting introduction, its comforting electronica beat, and its saddening celo; this song covers so much ground that it has always remained interesting to me.

Rellik, I do certainly hope that you will make many more songs along the lines of this one, as it has been richly entertaining to listen to.

-Austin Spafford

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I feel this wonderful remix is actually quite fast and intricate most of the time. Hearing people claim that it's "slow" and "ambient" is the exact opposite of how I listen to it. Must be a different mindset.

Doesn't get much more intense than this rich track. Lovely.

• 3 months later...

I've heard this song more than 300 times and it never gets old. It's just so calming, so beautiful, and still so captivating. It is definitely one of my top 3 favorite songs on the site now and I've heard at least 500 of them. Thank you, Rellik, for this wonderful song. I am so glad this was one of the first songs I downloaded from ocremix.

Very highly recommended, although for me it took a couple playthroughs to look past the static into the dream that it brings. 10/10

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, first of all, let me just say that hands down this remix is spectacular, and totally deserves to be on the 100.

Second of all, that said, I'm sure that I'm wrong, but where the heck is the Earthbound music? I've replayed the game like 5 times, but quite frankly, I don't notice anything in this remix from it.

Heh, well, that kinda proves that I love this remix though, doesn't it?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

You'd never know it at a brief glance, but I consider this among the strongest mixes on the entire site. It manages to be both fast and meloncholic; blurring the lines between those elements of light and shade and varying degrees of intensity. Seeings as I like long, understated intros, I found the setup perfect. Things progress so naturally, you can just hear it all clicking into place, like it's all predetermined. Even the bends and glitches and other experimentation have a real poetic rhythm to them and just sound like they belong. It's a magic listen.

And look, while I can't say I'm well versed in every piece of music from EarthBound, I trust the people who say that this mix does represent a small portion of the game's OST. And correct me if I'm wrong, even the shortest piece in the soundtrack is viable for remixing, given that the remixer uses that piece thoroughly for the mix's duration. If there's no doubt on the judges' part that the mix is derived from some specific chords played in an obscure moment in the game, then normal rules should apply and there shouldn't be any more dispute. This is not the first mix to remix a short series of notes that are seemingly inconsequential in comparison to larger themes but are nonetheless part of a game soundtrack and thus valid.

I think it's a credit to Rellik that such an overlooked piece of music could be nurtured to blossom into something as freaking awesome as this.

• 3 months later...

This came on my ipod while I was walking along the beach the other day. The way the atmosphere of the music along with the beauty of the ocean and the feel of the sand all came together ... I'm fairly certain I'll remember that moment forever. Terrific song.

• 6 months later...

What the first user thinks... I think, because I think I know what he's taking about, I think. Great mix. Lots of Earthbound's tunes have been remixed into techno songs. But I think this is one of the most mature techno songs from those tracks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01234 - EarthBound "Dreaming on Distant Shores"