OCR01242 - Donkey Kong Country "Beneath the Surface"

djpretzel

Whoa, my first Review of an OC ReMix!! :D Ok, In the biginning this can be interesting by the sound effects, but this is a VERY LONG ReMix and it turned boring if you're searching for a good ReMix of this game. Anyway, I DON'T enjoy hearing this. Sorry, but I rate it 3/10

Sorry, Sefy, but while this may not be your cup of tea, not every remix on this site has to be under 2 minutes and include nothing but an added bass drum track.

The mix of sounds brings me back to thinking of this as a Pat Metheny (very proficient jazz guitarist) style. It's that laid-back jazzish style but with a sense of just cruising along, which was something I felt while playing any of the underwater levels.

I've heard a DnB remix of this song (if anyone's heard the remix by DJ Freaky Flow, that's the one I'm talking about) and having heard both sides of the "energy" spectrum of this song, I'd say that Vigilante has done a great job.

Anyway, I DO enjoy hearing this. I congratulate you with a 9/10 for brightening my day :)

I definately enjoyed this remix. Aquatic Ambience is definately my favorite song from the Donkey Kong soundtrack and this remix made it even better. I love how its got the jazz style to it. The piano, saxaphone and guitar make it sound even better and complement the relaxing element of the original song. I give it a 9/10. Great job Vigilante!

O and Sefy..you may find this song "boring" but you must remeber that this song is supposed to be slow and relaxing. The original song was not a fast paced upbeat tune. It was a relaxing calm song....hence the name Aquatic Ambience and I think this a great remix of the original.

The Frog theme part comes in a bit too strong in attack. It should have been fit more with the flow of the rest of the song. Same goes for Kraid in that it changes the mood extremely. The Zelda one was the nicest. ("What? There's Zelda in this?") I had a great time listening to how it went into the lower register to proceed with the melody again. ("What's this guy talking about??") Though I still categorize Ocarina of Time's Opening with Frog and Kraid in that they all don't really add anything at all, or blend in. ("Hey, he's right! There is a Zelda song in here!")

Other than that, it took two listens to understand everything, which is a plus. Shows good structure. I thought I had some more issues to address when I first heard it, but the second listen eliminated them. They were mainly about some random thing that I changed my mind on, and some of the "improvisation" or whatever in the middle. But any purist to the original thoughts can be ignored given that overall it actually sticks to the original well while providing decent arrangement which brings a fresh change of pace. Or something.

This one is truly worthy of showcasing the KIC project, excellent work Vig, I heard it for the first time last night on VGF and I have yet to finish my torrent download to listen to them all again (at much higher quality) but this one was one of my favorites, if not THE favorite.

Frog's theme made me go huh? I heard the same progression as Zebesian midnight right after that too if I am not mistaken, so that whole ending passage kinda threw me for a loop, but not in a bad way. Kinda cool actually. O yeah, and I like your sax.

After hearing McVaffe and bLiNd's mixes of this track, I didn't think it was possible for a better version to be created. How wrong I was.

I have no criticisms to give here. This is a beautiful, excellent composition and Vigilante should be very proud. I love it and I have a new favorite OC ReMix. YaY!!!!

The source material lends itself well to a jazz version, and Vig has pulled it off extreamly well. If this is any indication of the quality of the rest of the project, I'm on the edge of my seat! A highlight for me has to be the intro of the guitar at around 3'05 (although I'm not quite sure what that "hissing" noise is in the background...) Anyway, I also thought the snipit of the Zelda Theme was interesting, and made me smile. :) Great work, I can't wait to hear more...

LOVE this mix, definately one of my fav's, man. Really delivers the feel of underwater, from the jazzy sax to the mello guitar. Rock on all the way.

And I loved that CT Frog treat XD As well as the Metroid one. Thought that the Zelda one was form FF6 there for a minute. Sounded kinda like a tune from FF6. Heh.

O and Sefy..you may find this song "boring" but you must remeber that this song is supposed to be slow and relaxing. The original song was not a fast paced upbeat tune. It was a relaxing calm song....hence the name Aquatic Ambience and I think this a great remix of the original.

I know it, but I mean that I hear better ''slow and relaxing'' ReMixes, and even not in this game. For example, my favourite ''slow and relaxing'' OC ReMix is Christmas Nights - Merry Little Christmas. I hope you understand that I just saying my modest opinion.

Vig, you are freakin crazy man. This is WOW. The most killer parts of this remix comes from the last 2:00, the guitar harmonics are just flawless, and the only complaint I had struggle to find was the abrupt start, but this is a matter of opinion. Nice work, I think it's your best yet man. This sounds professional, and the original composers would be proud.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01242 - Donkey Kong Country "Beneath the Surface"