OCR00510 - Final Fantasy VI "Kefka Goes West"

orkybash

Final Fantasy VI 'Kefka Goes West'

Once upon a time, there was a shortage of Kefka remixes. Then along came NoppZ and filled the void with a very funky remix of our favorite FF villian music, complete with an interlude based on none other than the Veldt theme. Instrumentation is great here - gotta love the organ stabs, and the guitars on Wild Wild West! Transitions are well executed, which is rare for a song with such distinct sections. My only complaint is the absence of Kefka's laugh! That's gotta be the most classing sound in FF history...

• 1 month later...

I absolutely adore this music. I just want to get in bed and cuddle with it. :wink: No, but seriously, this remix is good because it's fun. It's fun to listen to. It's two songs in one. But overall: It's Kefka. :P But, I think I agree with orkybash. Where's the Kefka laugh?! Ok, right. Anyways, rating, rating? I dunno. It's not quite a five, yet it's definitely not a 4. We'll go with 4.7/5. Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing: "?"

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey, great stuff! I like the change in rhythym on the melody, the drums are cool, as are the accompaniment. The Veldt theme rocks also. If I could change one thing about this remix, however, I would have to say that the last repeat of the melody is not necessary. We've heard it several times already, why play it again? I thought the artist was going to do something cool with it, like incorporate the Veldt theme or instruments into Kefka's theme, but it just didn't happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

AHHH! I can't believe there are so few reviews on this!!! This song should have hundreds upon hundreds of reviews all claiming it's excellence!!!

Really!! This definitely ranks in my top 5 OCRemixes of all time. There's just something about it, I can't even explain. I turned a friend of mine on to it as well, and since we found it about a year or so ago it's yet to get old. I love the break in the middle, and especially the beginning (mainly at :22, and again in the end at 3:49, which are just points of meltiness.) There is nothing about this mix that I don't like. It has such an evil, devious tone to it. So Kefka. When I become a video game villain (you just wait,) this will be my theme.

Ahh, nothing but praises, I'm sorry. Everyone needs to download it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Seriously, download this mix right now. I'll wait.

Welcome back. See what I mean?

I've heard this mix probably sixty times, and each time it feels like something new is happening. Especially the oft-hailed transition portion. You simply won't believe how deft and effortless Noppz makes the transition to Wild Wild West. I know I didn't.

One of the top ten mixes on the site.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does Kefka want to go west? There´s nothing for him there! Maybe sand, but he hates sand.

The mix itself is divided into two parts. One with the all annoying Kefka with his catchy music, which follows by a more rougher Veldt theme. Both parts are good, reminds me of Kefka´s carnevalmix by NoppZ that I listened to 5 min ago. Nice instruments, beats and all those stuff that made it sound good.

If I could change one thing about this remix, however, I would have to say that the last repeat of the melody is not necessary. We've heard it several times already, why play it again? I thought the artist was going to do something cool with it, like incorporate the Veldt theme or instruments into Kefka's theme, but it just didn't happen.

Kinda agree here. First Kefka, then the Veldt, then the same Kefka melody from the start of this mix. NoppZ could have added something or turned up the tempo or something, at least something that differed from tha start.

Very nice. I'm digging those organ licks. The guitar sound you've got during the Veldt theme and the the brass during Kefka sounds overly synthy, but still fits the mood. I agree that you could have done something cool with the Kefka theme second time around, like keeping the Veldt drums the whole way through and adding some other "Veldtness" to it at the end, to make it A B A+B instead of A B A. THe ending was also abrupt.

This is going to my playlist.

• 2 years later...

10 for concept, 8 for execution.

I am simply in love with your clean synths from the Kefka section; they consist of understated cool in it's purest form. Good show.

Sound-wise, my only complaint is the guitar sample, but this mix is old school, so not having an actual guitarist around to help you is a bit more understood. Great additions from the synth runs to the organ licks, to the mixing up of the 2 sources, though I think they could be even more mingled.

Overall a great mix; nice work.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a pretty funny concept, and I cant get the Figaro scene with Kefka out of my head whenever I listen to this one. The percussion is one of the things that really pulls you in at first, though I would have liked the loop to have some variation in it. The sounds now aren't that great, but they fit the themes well and are more than forgivable.

There are a few moments when things don't exactly match as well as they should, but I've listened to this enough to not really notice them as much anymore.

Cool stuff, great concept, though not the best produced mix around.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00510 - Final Fantasy VI "Kefka Goes West"