OCR02100 - Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "Rime of the Wanderin' Seafarer"

djpretzel

proven paradox:

first of all, thanks for the love both here and on youtube... as always, it is much appreciated that my music was enjoyable!

about having multiple voices; while i've never been against collaboration (as i've probably collaborated more over the years than anyone i know), i've gotta stress that not very many of my tracks are presented as "studio" music. i actually struggle mightily with making studio quality music and i invariably end up making mood pieces or environment pieces probably as some kind of copout ... or, like this track and many others, guy-with-a-guitar-in-the-woods types of pieces

because of that, the vocals aren't meant to wow you into thinking "ya know, this guy is a great singer!" instead, it is meant to sound like a guy, who isn't necessarily a musician, with a guitar on a boat... maybe just a boy who found himself caught up in the middle of something much bigger than himself and is struggling with trying to make sense of it. i can't imagine link being a classically trained vocalist and luckily, neither am i :D

honestly, i kinda like my voice cracking... i find the imperfection to be so intrinsically human that it may just be perfect hehe

This particular ReMix was the first one that have ever gotten to me in a sentimental kind of way. I have been scouting this site for a long time now (not beeing a member untill now, dont ask why, cause I really dont know) and nothing in here, NOTHING drove the feelings of pure brillancy yet strangely sorrow into my head, like this piece.

Everything from your voice (which is amazing) to the simple strokes on the guitar and the nice use of the theme from the game is just taking this... this masterpiece to a whole new level of ReMixing.

I hope that we will be hearing more from you, and once again, thanks for showing the world, that the Triforce indeed is real, or atleast this part of it.

• 3 weeks later...
because of that, the vocals aren't meant to wow you into thinking "ya know, this guy is a great singer!" instead, it is meant to sound like a guy, who isn't necessarily a musician, with a guitar on a boat... maybe just a boy who found himself caught up in the middle of something much bigger than himself and is struggling with trying to make sense of it. i can't imagine link being a classically trained vocalist and luckily, neither am i :D

honestly, i kinda like my voice cracking... i find the imperfection to be so intrinsically human that it may just be perfect hehe

Fuck yes man, this is what I love about your music. A lot of the feel and emotion of your music comes the flaws that are noticeably present, but somehow manages to actually improve the songs instead of detract from them. This is the perfect example of that. Will this be winning any awards for the most technically proficient vocal performance? Probably not, but damn if it isn't one of the best written, most enjoyable, and most heartfelt vocal mixes on the entire site. I hope you don't ever change that aspect of your music, it's what drew me to you at first and what continues to hold me as I hear each new song of yours.

I'm glad I was able to play a small part in helping this reach more ears, it's an unequivocally brilliant performance and absolutely one of those songs that I'll always look back on with the utmost fondness.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. love the title, an apropos reference to a beautiful piece of literature

2. such an amazing voice, plays the too high(?) notes well, as stated by djpretzel

3. impressively fitting lyrics that make an already touching song nigh tear-jerking

4. amazing that you seem to have put your own emotions into a melody you didn't compose: props

5. this is gonna be stuck in my head for a while

thank you!

• 1 year later...

I really like the way Zyko sings. You get more of a different kind of tone from him because it just sounds professionally unprofessional. Sounds weird, I know, I'm not a linguist, but it just seems like an everyday person (kinda like Link if he wasn't the hero of the whole thing), just singing on a boat through different weather and places. Lot of heart here. Good guitar playing and good progression as the song goes on.

• 3 years later...

God, i've listened to this way too many times over the past couple years, why not comment on it now.
It's pretty hard for me to talk about this track without gushing over it man.
I wouldn't even say im a fan of this kind of music and when I first saw this, I was kinda nervous to see how a folk-ish song with Dragon Roost (One of my favorite tracks) being one of the sources sounded like. It blew away my expectations. 
The lyrics are beautiful, zyko's voice is very fitting with the lyrics, every time I listen to this I can just feel all the emotion and feeling that was put into this ReMix just hitting me in the face...
Let me stop, because I could praise this mix all day if I could.
Tl;dr It's good.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02100 - Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "Rime of the Wanderin' Seafarer"