Email sub file Killer Instinct - The wolf of the Opera (OC ReMix).mp3 - djp

Remixer name: Uboichi

E-mail: uubjacobson@quicknet.com

Song: The Wolf of the Opera

Original Song: Tooth & Claw

Game: Killer Instinct

System: SNES

Original composer: Robin Beanland, Graeme Norgate

I was just messing around while playing the piano when WinAmp shifted to Tooth & Claw (Yeah, I always leave WinAmp on while I’m playing piano ^_^” ). It didn’t take very long before the inspiration started to pour into my head. Tooth & Claw is quite a heavy piece, so I considered just one piano wouldn’t be enough, thus I added another one ;-)

hmm. i'm kinda borderline on this one. i think the two-piano setup was a positive decision, i think the mix benefits from the extra hands. the first part is great. it also has little if anything to do with the original. the mix as a whole seems more creative and inspired than many of the sound-alike piano mixes from other unnamed mixers we hear.

my qualm is that i think the second section might have sounded better if rather than two pianos, the mixer had used one piano and a heavy string section. Furthermore, it sounds very sequenced, and somewhat unnatural. would have been better without quantization. I dont think this adds up to no.

so have a YES

We get a lot of cool piano tracks on this site. Though sequencing shouldn't be shunned, its definately not as impressive as live. Furthermore, I like to think theres a higher standard for piano pieces. Furtherfurthermore, the sound quality is rather low for this song. Very low-grade sf.

The remix itself is pretty good, but I say find a good pianist and record it live, or midi it with better sample quality, and ofcourse, make it longer.

NO

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ki.rsn - Sabrewulf (ki-21.spc)

The arrangement is fine, but like Danny alluded to (though on a not-as-significant level), there's not enough dynamic contrast here. It was a lot more of a problem for me than it was for him, as I thought the delivery was dry/one-dimensional and lacked emotion & energy the whole way through. Moving into the more recognizable source arrangement at 1:35, everything lacks presence and just plods along. While Uub infers that this is live piano, I certainly hope this wasn't. This needs much more emotive/fuller delivery to reach the perceived bar for piano material. Not bad, but incomplete in that sense.

NO

Yes there are issues here, particularly the lack of dynamics. I also thought there was way too much staccato playing. The humanization isn't the very best, but I don't think our standards should be so narrowly focused where quality material is just nonchallantly rejected for requiring a live pianist. At least in this case where I feel beyond that one main flaw, everything else is very well done.

I thought the overall sequencing, execution and considering the sophisticated and complex material here; the end result was definitely above the bar in my opinion. The beginning really reminds me of Rachmaninov. A very good thing. :o Enjoyable and passable in my book.

YES

The arrangement was good and quite varied throughout.

The interpretation of the original is good, I like the scary feel in the intro, very appropriate styling in the original sections which flows in well with the main theme. Having 2 pianos was a good idea, making for a fuller, more complex-sounding mix.

The only thing that this lacks somewhat is the human element. Perhaps if a softer section was in there somewhere? I'm saying

YES