Arcadia - Last Dungeon

Modus

Posted this up a little while ago and got no feedback. I took that as bad news, but I really just don't care anymore. I'd rather it be shredded in the OCR forums than rot in a corner on YouTube. It's trance-ish style and my third finished song since I started teaching myself electronic music 2 months ago.

I used the intro segment of "Last Dungeon" and ditched the style in the original completely, so I'm not sure if it's a proper remix. Source:

Mix: http://soundcloud.com/exobyte/skies-remix-last-dungeon

Nowhere does ocr say you have to use the entire source for a remix. However, yours is overcompressed, so that'll be a problem if you sub it. Source usage, imo, wouldn't.

Bass drum is waaay bassy, and the cause of the pumping. Dunno how intentional it is, but you might wanna be a bit more selective about what tracks you duck under it. Too much pumping. Not gonna download and check, but you could have a lot of subbass in there that's screwing with the compression. Worth looking into.

Arrangement doesn't really take advantage of the melodies you've dug out, this could be way more epic, even without a lot of edits. :P 0:27-1:00 with drums, followed by a long break, we don't get the trance beat back until much later. The breakbeat is cool, but feels like it's still a breakdown. That makes 1:00-2:19 all breakdown and build-up. Your source is stronger than that. :P And I hear some melodies in the more droney rest of the source that could be used for a lead if you don't think you can reuse the first part.

Nice work, but make it epic; also, cool outro. :D

Nowhere does ocr say you have to use the entire source for a remix. However, yours is overcompressed, so that'll be a problem if you sub it. Source usage, imo, wouldn't.

Bass drum is waaay bassy, and the cause of the pumping. Dunno how intentional it is, but you might wanna be a bit more selective about what tracks you duck under it. Too much pumping. Not gonna download and check, but you could have a lot of subbass in there that's screwing with the compression. Worth looking into.

I have two layered samples for the bass drum, one being a subby sound, and also two layers for the sidechaining synth, one being a pure sub sound only. So it sounds like you're spot on about the compression.

I'll take out the sub-only synth and replace the bass drums with a trance kick. I can't find one anywhere in my libraries, but it looks like its easy to synthesize a basic one.

Arrangement doesn't really take advantage of the melodies you've dug out, this could be way more epic, even without a lot of edits. :P 0:27-1:00 with drums, followed by a long break, we don't get the trance beat back until much later. The breakbeat is cool, but feels like it's still a breakdown. That makes 1:00-2:19 all breakdown and build-up. Your source is stronger than that. :P And I hear some melodies in the more droney rest of the source that could be used for a lead if you don't think you can reuse the first part.

Part of the problem is that I want smooth transitions, but I don't know how to achieve them. I keep doing the 'sudden pause, re-introduce chorus' thing because of that. I probably just need to plan more ahead on my arrangements than trying to do it on-the-fly.

Nice work, but make it epic; also, cool outro. :D

Thanks, I appreciate you being so thorough. You mentioned some things I knew were bad and other I didn't realize, which is why feedback is so important to me.

P.S. The instrumental outro thing was inspired by a couple older songs that I can't remember the names of.. they might be by Colplay, Savage garden, or The Verve. If you know what those songs might be, let me know because I haven't found them yet :[ I just remember that transformation into instrumental being so overwhelmingly epic to me. I'd like to make it my 'thing' when I figure out how to do it a little more smoothly :]

Nice.

So 90s! Especially the section after the break down. Although the piano is nice, it can get very cheesy. Why not layer it with something that evolves? I can hear you doing evolving textures, why not your piano material as well?

I would highly re-consider your kick sample. It is too long, and the tail is interfering with you on/off bass groove. It needs more punch and less PWUHB! As the guy said before me... Could be compression / sample problems. Listen to exactly how a trance kick sits in the mix and interacts with the bass around it. Kick / bass issues kill most people, me included. It's always safer to keep them apart.

heh.

So 90s!

Not sure how to take that XD Electronic music of the 90s to me is like the beta version of today's electronic.

But yeah, the piano gets cheesy as heck to me too. Good thing I have plenty of similar samples :]

The kick will go, and even though the sidechaining was intentionally extreme I'll tone that down too. And, yes, I feel like the bass is never how I want it. When I listen to professional songs I don't know how they keep it so separate. I'll have to look into that!

Thanks for your help.