Song of Storms - Zelda dubstep remix!

lukeraith

The 4/4 drums and the 3/4 source doesn't really work together. Not saying it can't be done, just saying you haven't. Either adapt your drums to 3/4 or the source to 4/4. Or both.

Needs some work on the sound design. A generic flutey sound with way too much reverb doesn't really sit right with the dry bass. Not sure what makes dubstep dubstep, but the snare could stand to be harder, the bass drum more defined, the instrumentation less reverbed and the overall sound clearer.

For ocr, you'd also need to expand on it, creatively, whether that means writing new material or just adapting the source for length without making it repetitive. I get that it's not for ocr, this version. Just saying, for later mixes. :)

Not up to ocr's standard, but not bad. Keep mixing. :D

Cool!

Crazy combination of materials. I think the 3/4 and 4/4 will work fine. For a first try this is great! You've got a pretty good dub step wobble going there!

Critiques:

The melody sounds pretty far away, in the middle section it might be interesting to double it with something that lives int he same sonic space as the bass line.

Dub step is all about insane bass. Making the bass even more distorted and squelchy would work very well to build intensity in the middle section.

For a first try this is great! You've got a pretty good dub step wobble going there!

Critiques:

The melody sounds pretty far away, in the middle section it might be interesting to double it with something that lives int he same sonic space as the bass line.

Dub step is all about insane bass. Making the bass even more distorted and squelchy would work very well to build intensity in the middle section.

+1

Really though, you need to work on matching the melody to the beat a bit more to get rid of the awkwardness. Try inserting some pauses in the melody, break it up a bit, don't be afraid to chop and slice somewhat. Is that going to break the 3/4 and 4/4 that you have going? Possibly. Is that bad? Nope.

I like these drums, especially the snare. Personally they fit the style you're going for.

Keep the source in 3/4 time. It is possible to do the percussion in that time signature and keep it dubstep. The percussion is not following on step to the source and hitting the snare every 3rd beat out of 4. Change the pattern to six beats and make the snare hit on the 4th. Listen to this for an example, it's the only real 3/4 dubstep I know of.

As opposed to E-Bison's comment, not all dubstep has to be harsh and with intense drops. There's plenty of chilled out dubstep like the link I posted.

• 4 weeks later...

Great drums, just great. At the intro, IMO, the flute sounds a little harsh. Maybe substitute it with a different instrument, bring it down, or ignore me :D

At first, the clashing of 3/4 and 4/4 annoyed me a little, but when the wobble came in, it seemed to mesh together much better than it did before. I don't know why, but... Yeah. Great tone for the wobble, although it might do with only a smidgen of filth on it.

That's a great job for the first time, miles ahead of mine haha

The time signature stuff is awkward, but I like this. The mix definitely needs more energy toward the middle, because the bass starts to feel slow and repetitive. Adding more modulation, change ups and some crisper, fatter drums could really add a lot. Actually the drums could be doing a lot more for this track than they are, but maybe that's just me. Awesome work!