OCR01262 - Super Mario World "Ghost"

djpretzel

What a coincidence... the last time I checked this page, this mix wasn't there. I just finished listening to it (from VGMIX) and I thought I'd check back on the forums, and voila, it's there!

Although the dance kick drum seems a bit out of place, in my opinion, it works well, especially around the 0:55 mark...

Excellent work!

DJ Pretzel, I have to correct you. It's more a take on the Mario Castle theme than the Ghost House Theme.

Nix, I love this remix so much. Halloween is the perfect time to release it! I love the build-up of how the strings and brass swell to a crashing explosion at :40 and the strings at :55 on even if they sound like a tracked synthline. The velocity of everything is constantly changing. The brass is the highlight of this track. It sounds so realistic that even BlackPerson's brass sequencing is put to shame here. I also enjoyed the piano arrangement. You actually manage to use high and low chords in all the right octaves unlike some of my piano work. And did I forget to mention the dogs barking in the background and the church bell exiting the mix? A very chilling effect.

not the most polished piece...in the beginning the strings seem to be playing too fast, they sound unnatural. also, in some places the percussion, techno and hip-hop, sound at best unnecessary and at worst, inappropriate. If it were me, i would rethink the percussion entirely.

that said, aside form the percussion, this mix has lots going for it. the beginning is moody and there is lots done with the source material. Lots of tension, lots of extrapolation and exploration.

Now for the bad news. I can say Vigilante pretty much summed up all the negative things I have to say about the percussion. I'm a little bothered by the orchestral snare and zap-kick percussion mixture especially when it's used at 2:55 to 4:21. You should get some 808s or some real genuine pullback hip-hop snares and kicks. The hi-hat also has a bit of a lo-fi thing going. If you want some percussive samples for another project like this that you'll undertake, I'm willing to hook you up.

Other than those small matters, you've got my vote, Nixdorux. Guys, if you want to hear a happy tune gone to a dark arrangement that'll send shivers up your spin, this is the download. It's got a John Williams (Star Wars music composer)/Rob Dougan (Matrix music composer) feel to it.

Peace and Happy Halloween!

-Double A Ron

90/100

Is it actually the ghost house theme? I haven't played the game in ages but it sounds like the fortress theme to me...

Bump...

It's the ghost house up until 0:40, then it's the Fortress.

But yea, this is definately a pretty cool track.

:o The tune's barely recognizable! In fact it's almost gone. How did he manipulate it so the "Ghost House" bit was in there?

excellent track, hardly any relistenability for myself though. that dance kick kick kick..... grates on me. i'd love to hear the track sans dance kick, or fading it out after a while. because it sorta distracts me from everything else going on. which sounds really good.

c'est la vie

Is it actually the ghost house theme? I haven't played the game in ages but it sounds like the fortress theme to me...

Bump...

It's the ghost house up until 0:40, then it's the Fortress.

But yea, this is definately a pretty cool track.

I agree it doesnt really matter ..it's two for the price of one 8)

Cool and very original this mix is..is so thumping and jumping !

I'll have my eye on you, Nixdorux :o

I paste the messsage I wrote to him as a review. In French as he speaks French and I am French, what a luck.

Ton remix de la Ghost House de SMB4 a quelques bons côtés. J'aime bien l'extrapolation du thème principal, l'instrumentation orchestrale assure. Mais désolé de te dire que le mariage entre rythme éléctronique et percussions n'a pas du tout pris. Le rythme ne s'accorde pas du tout à la mélodie et ne fait que nuire à l'orchestre et à l'âme de la musique.Il faudrait le supprimer ou alors le ralentir considérablement. "Ghost of the Marble hall" de l'autre remixer reste la référence pour moi. Bon choix de

remake cependant. Pourquoi ne pas remixer le thème du château? Je me souviens des fameux "Whaouwha, whaouwha", de cette sublime musique.

Here is the translation:

This Ghost House remix has some qualities. I like the main theme extrapolation, the orchestral intrumentation is very good. Buth unfortunately the electronic beat doesn't fit at all with the melody and the instruments, it destroys its souls, the result being goofy. This beat should be erased or at least significantly slowed. "Ghost of the marble hall" reamins the reference for me.

Good choice of remake anyway. Why not remixing the Castle theme? I remember the famous "Whouhoua, whouaha" of this wonderful score.

I would have loved to hear this without the kick drum thingy. It didn't NEED it. It doesn't add to it. I feel it distracts from the beautiful orchestral stuff in the background. A song like this should be able to hold a beat without hammering it into your skull like this, I think. Or even if you wanted to emphasize a beat, why not do it orchestrally? I mean, I find myself having to actively put up mental filters to pretend that backbeat isn't there...

Being creative is kew in my books, Thats part of the reason that I like it so much is that this guy was going out on a limb true it might have sounded a bit better but personally I don't think I would have liked it as much (Even though im a sucker for the orchestreal stuff)

Firstly, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this remix. The main reason was because of the percussion. Does anyone remember way back during the seventies? The Philharmornic Orchestra was running low on funds because none of the young people were showing interest in classical music. They tried to solve the problem by recording "Hooked on Classics" a record filled with a collection of the most famous classical songs in history, set to a disco beat playing in the background. I think that this song had a very "hooked on classics" feel to it, the beat, even though it was arguably out of place, lended a modern feel to the music without resorting to corny sound effects. I fully recommend this remix to anyone, and everyone. Nice work Nixdorux!

Edit/ By the way Double A Ron XP I belive you meant to say that Don Davis did the music for the matrix.

By the way Double A Ron XP I belive you meant to say that Don Davis did the music for the matrix.

I'm pretty sure it was Rob Dugan. Anyway, as for the remix...like most people, I felt the kick was -- at best -- a bit out of place here. Other then that, I like it a lot. The "swing section" was the highlight of originality for me. I also like the exiting bells, but I couldn't pick up on any dogs barcking in the background... :( Well done. :)

I think the percussion kind adds a little something to the mix. It might have been better to do some longer reverb/maybe a little hiss distortion on it or maybe do a reverse bass effect on it. Without the drum in there, it's basically just the original song with some extra stuff in it. The beat is kind of cheesy to have all the way through given that this is a 5:30 length piece... it would have been hottt (triple t hot) to have some kind of crescendo in it and then drop that cheesy bass in for a minute or so, but I think just the straight up kick gets old pretty quick. Overall, though, I liked it =)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01262 - Super Mario World "Ghost"