OCR02310 - *YES* Legend of Dragoon 'Deadbeat'

OceansAndrew

* BlackPanther

* Rashad Hill

* Legend of Dragoon

* Requiem(Emperor Doel's Death)

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjsg4wJy1Lw&playnext=1&videos=-BMlXeRpJ9U

Hey hey it's me again ready to sub another piece that was done as part of the Freshly Baked ReMixer Challenge 2010, and by request by Jimmy in the "ASK A JUDGE" thread, here's a breakdown:

0:00 - 0:11 -> A cute little drum pattern goin on with some building ambience then you get some sub frequency hits that come in.

0:12 - 0:22 -> The weird organ is based off the 2-3 notes that play at the very beginning of the source tune then I just carry it further with a whole melody

0:23 - 0:41 -> A bassline comes in to try to fill the soundscape a little bit and that continues until the buildup and drop

0:41 - 0:52 -> Ok now the beat comes in and you have a more aggressive dirtier bass which is playing the main two notes from the intro to the source with a little bit of expansion

0:53 - 1:04 -> This is where you hear part of the main melody, I didn't play it all during this section to try to help make the mix longer. Bass is still playin the same notes raspy synth is there to help back up the main synth I suppose I don't really know how else to explain that =/.

1:05 - 1:16 -> This parts mine I guess. Got the organ plain a steady 8th note melody. I have a crazy distorted synth there for aesthetics to help with the mood of the track I guess.

1:17 - 1:28 -> Still my part. The only thing still pertaining to the source is the bass which is in the last section as well. Now there are bells which more or less, is playing what the organ is and that has gotten a bit more aggressive

1:29 - 1:52 -> This section here pretty much is the source not really much to say...

1:53 - 2:04 -> It's the bells again, I guess this would be a melody not linked to the source it's the harmonized version of the bells earlier

2:05 - 2:16 -> E-piano playing the intro notes with a little bit of expansion

2:17 -> Closing

So I hope that was a good enough breakdown for yalls xD. I enjoyed makin this track I felt like this was another step up for me, as Jack(tefnek) taught me the art of buildup and now I just need to perfect it, OA gave me some last minute feedback which I hope was enough, and I was constantly tryin to figure out what I could do to keep it interesting with a lot of automation on the synths and whatnot so in return I got a way better handle of FL Studio now. Not much else to say, I hope you guys enjoy, and I hope Hoboka enjoys as this was his request for the FBRC 2010 and I don't know what his musical tastes are and I remixed this in a genre that I was decent at. Enough ranting enjoy please lol!

Oh if this doesn't pass can you leave the link up please, and thank you.

Got a PM from BlackPanther

"Hey Deia, I made a mistake when subbing my Legend of Dragoon remix, I put the song title in the name title field for the remix. The real name for the remix is "Deadbeat", if you could change it I would appreciate it. I sent this out to the other judges in case you didn't get this though xD."

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I've heard this one quite a few times. Lots of good stuff going on here. I like how you've taken the original source and really meaned it up, while also spicing it up. I will say that there are a couple nitpicks, like the bass could be a little firmer, and the leads could have a little more presence, but I think this still gets the job done.

YES

It sounds much improved with the bells being in tune. :-)

The production is above the bar with some some cool synths (though one is a touch shrill, but not a dealbreaker) and beats. The drums are a bit static, but there are several patterns that mix up the sections, and while some more involved drum fills would have been nice, and a little bit more expansion that pushed this closer to 3min would also have been good, i'm comfortable passing this.

Yes