OCR02255 - *YES* Sunset Riders 'Bleeding Guns'

OceansAndrew

Contact Information

* Your ReMixer name: Dj Mystix

* Your real name Mansoor Nazar

* Your userid 11757 (DjMystix)

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged Sunset Riders

* Name of individual song(s) arranged A Rosy Setting Sun, Mountain, Draw Your Gun

* Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

* Composer : Naohisa Morota, Motoaki Furukawa

* System : Sega Genesis

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

* Original Sources:

The Rosy Setting Sun

Mountain

Draw Your gun

OCR WIP Thread:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30159

Comments:

Sunset Riders was a great game and, although not 4-player, but still fun to play on consoles as well. I only played Arcade and Sega Genesis versions but fell deeply in love with the awesome sound track.

I didn't want to stick close to the wild west theme and attempted to create a new style mixing modern RnB with western theme. I haven't used anything more than the lead melodies from the sources. One track that didn't make it to this mix is "Face with Courage" (

) which shortened the mix's length to 4:00 minutes. As for the ending, I had to write something original because no other track made sense. Hope you'll like it.

This was a really cool take on a bunch of source themes, and giving them a unique chord progression really gelled the melodies together. Production was solid, and the arrangement was very slick and personalized. The transitions were solid and creative, and besides the brass synth that came in a little later on, things were completely on-point. Good sequencing, especially the guitars, and the beat was tasteful and interesting.

This has a really nice feel of a modern take on a classic spaghetti western; and the integration of the source is really natural. The synths are nice, and the acoustic guitars work really well.

Really solid, nice work!

Yes

OA covered everything I wanted to say. I was really feeling this throughout, and I enjoyed how you used the source themes over a new chord structure. The style works really well for this, and the synths are well chosen. My one gripe is the brass sample near the end sounds super fake compared to everything else, which is a shame, but certainly not a dealbraker.

Nicely done,

YES

• 1 month later...

You did a good job fusing the melodies, and the subtle original writing keeps things interesting. The sequencing is pretty good, aside from that brass. I thought the balancing could use some work. The melody at 0:21 is a bit soft, which really stands out since the melody is super prominent in the rest of the track. The background writing gets a bit indistinct at times, like the acoustic guitar (especially the countermelodic stuff from 3:26 to the end). Nothing really glaringly bad.

Solid work. I endorse this mix.

YES

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed this, it had a low-key charm. Even the brass towards the end, which was the fakest thing to ever fake, fit the 90's midtempo track vibe because you reverbed it into silk. You really did hear that kind of stuff back then (and sometimes still today). The acoustic and electric guitars were beautiful leads and the live feel to them helped make up for the other leads which weren't as dynamic. Great track, I likey.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting intro with some Rayza-style sounds. Pretty solid usage of the fakey guitar with great stylistic articulations and resonance that doesn't make you complain about it being a sample, much the same as with Vurez. I could have gone without the grating synth at 1:33, which was shrill/piercing.

One thing that really hit me from 1:33-2:15 was that the overall mixing should have been cleaner. right now, it's too lo-fi and supporting details like the upright bass and acoustic guitar chords are definitely getting trampled to the point of nearly being inaudible. It's not negatively impactful enough to drag this down to NO with so many other things working well here with the instrumentation and arrangement.

Very silky switchup at 2:15 to the acoustic guitar. The whistling sound was a nice subtle touch as well. The trumpet sound was noticeably weaker, but it still had reasonably good body and realism.

The arrangement was smooth, with generally strong sound choices. I think we should get a 192kbps encoding to heard the details a bit better, and wouldn't mind another pass at the balancing, but other than that, I was really digging this. Solid work, Mansoor! I'm feeling the Konami/Genesis love.

YES