OCR01266 - Street Fighter II "The Ken Song"

djpretzel

Wow. That was quick. Teh_goat showed this to me in IRC and I loved it. Had it on repeat for almost two hours. The production on this song is excellent. No muddiness, no instrument clashing, just clean Top 40 rockin goodness. Vocals are witty, well recorded and suit the genre perfectly. The guitar solo is not extravagant, once again fitting the "vocal line improv" soloing that is quite common in songs of this genre.

I am very impressed by this mix. And, to clear up my confusion, this is NOT by Goat. :)

Yeah this is really really sweet. I have always wanted to hear a kick ass take on ken's theme, and here we have it. Probably more than I could have ever asked for. I have to admit at first I was skeptical when I read on djp's write up that there were lyrics to this one, being afraid they would ruin an otherwise good remix. But after hearing this, all I can say is - wow. Rock on man. Now all you need is a music video and OCR followers everywhere can vote this onto TRL.

Ok, so this started out like numerous mixes, but then BAM!! awesome vocals. There are VERY few remixes on OCR that actually use original lyrics effectively, even fewer that compile them into complete songs. Ken is my favorite player in the SF series, and this song was an amazing tribute to his kickass ability...to kick ass. :) Great job. My only gripe is that sometimes the vocals are hard to understand, or not synched with the music (though that's probably just because of what kind of music I'm used to). This was very well developed overall. 5/5, 5 stars, 100%, whatever you want.

I say with all honesty that this mix is just...outstanding. The mixing, vocals, instrumentation, the whole nine yards...all just fantastic. It's damn near pro-level recordings, hell it pretty much IS there. Anyways, I love rock, and this piece almost reminds me of J-Rock like from FLCL. Mad props to this piece, and I genuinely hope you continue to pump out mixes of this caliber.

Great singing too. Star Salzman..you have competition!

Jared Hudson

TO's another good thing out of Australia. :-P

Great work, Joe. When I first heard the old version at VGMix, I wasn't too hot on it, but it's be refined nicely swince then and I really enjoyed it. The almost Engrished lyrics make 0 sense but they're fun and flow well, and frankly that's really what counts. High quality work, bro. Hope you have more ambitious stuff like this for the future. Looking forward to playing this on my radio show.

I can see this song as the main intro to Ken's own game. I love how the voice kind of slurs, but not in a retarded lazy way, in a way that completely works, and flows.

The harmonizing around 1:00 remins me of Vertical Horizon's song "Underwater" (which is a great song also btw) during the lyric 'I feel your touch.'

Ridin' down the lone arizona desert kickin ass in my '72 Javelin AMX, with Ken in the passenger seat, mwa haha!

:o Hey, I remember this one! One of my good buddies really wanted it from VGMix, but since I had a hard time sorting through all the SF remixes I gave up. Now it's finally here! I can refer him to the link so he can download it. :nicework:

Anyway, I'm glad you took my earlier suggestion, and asked me about OCR, JD. I love this song even though I'm not a big fan of Street Fighter like this friend of mine. Do another. 8)

Excellent.

For some unknown reason, I seem to remember listening to this one off of VGMix a while back, and not enjoying it.

For that, I can only plead temporary insanity.

This song rocks, and rocks hard. Thank God it came around again so I could re-listen and have my face melted by how much it rocks.

I would just like to make my original post a little more clear.

This mix fondles my genitals just right... a sex machine ready to reload like an atom bomb. This mix helps me realise my ken.

Man...

and all my friends called me a queer for playing ken when everyone else played akuma and sagat, and other less effeminate characters such as rose and Birdy.

I hope they listen and get in touch with their Ken.

You know...

I'm surprised that in all the comments and reviews, nobody has mentioned the actual official vocal version of the song in question.

Because that's what this had to compete with in my head as I was listening.

Now, obviously, no amateur remix is going to compare to an officially arranged, studio-recorded rock mix with Hironobu Kageyama on vocals.

But I'm not going to hold that against this. Because this was good. I liked it.

Very nice. :)

You know...

I'm surprised that in all the comments and reviews, nobody has mentioned the actual official vocal version of the song in question.

Because that's what this had to compete with in my head as I was listening.

Now, obviously, no amateur remix is going to compare to an officially arranged, studio-recorded rock mix with Hironobu Kageyama on vocals.

But I'm not going to hold that against this. Because this was good. I liked it.

Very nice. :)

keep in mind, we are comparing it to the original in game tune... outside the game arrangments by pros are not what we are comparing it to. this is OCremix afterall. its whats in the game that counts.

At least something nice has finally come out of Australia.

-D

Jivemaster, Elle MacPherson, Priscilla: Queen of the Desert.... SNAP

I'd almost give them Foster's, too, or at least the amusing advertisements.

Really anthematic mix - just reiterating my appreciation.

Don't forget INXS-they did a Pokemon song back in 1987. ;)

I didn't even read the review first (I prefer to let the music speak) so I was surprised when the lyrics came in. Very nice.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01266 - Street Fighter II "The Ken Song"