OCR01268 - Suikoden "Cliff the Great Crusader"

djpretzel

More than the recorder I like the subtle yet powerful strings that come up beneath the melody and, as with all the Trenthian stuff I've heard in the past, the percussion, very very nice.

I definately sense that Celtic theme, but the recorder obscures it a bit, though that makes it better in it's own, unique way.

I personally, am a sucker for flute remixes, and i think this is awesome. Maintained a constant power without getting boring, it really reaches into your soul.

10/10, NJ guys

Umm, thats not a flute thats a recorder... very different instruments. Anyway, love the game, the love remix, 9/10 for the squealls of the recorder.

Played 1st Chair Clarinet through middle school and part of highschool squealling is verrry painful to me.

Yatta! Suikoden had such a badass soundtrack, and it's so underremixed.

This percussion on this is ultra-sweet -- the beats are really playful, organic, and engaging. Live recorder never hurts either :P

Instrumental arrangement is mighty sweet too. I love how the theme is bounced around between different ensembles with such a concise direction. The music goes places, but it never rambles.

Fantastic stuff.

wow. I saw this on the judging panel awhile ago, and danced around for a bit upon seeing the "Suikoden" part of the title... The recorder is definitely unique, but it grows on you. I like the celtic sounds and mood of the piece, and even though the drums don't seem to share the same style, they work well together. Ahhh the whole song brings back nice memories :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice... this put you on the map for me Trenthian... and here I thought you just hosted bad remix competitions. :P

Yeah, solid, love the feel... LOVES the recorder (you've got some great texture with the tongue there... ew...)

All around solid. The kind of piece you'd play for someone to demonstrate the creativity of the remixers around here. :D

• 1 year later...
so i was watching rainman and i was like where have i heard the rainman theme song before... and i was like OYEAH it sounds like the intro to this song.

yeah am i just making that up? but definitely eprops on using a recorder. dats da shit.

I dont know... I have only seen the last half of that movie.

I should watch it sometime.

Thats the one with dustin hoffman and T cruise right?

so i was watching rainman and i was like where have i heard the rainman theme song before... and i was like OYEAH it sounds like the intro to this song.

yeah am i just making that up? but definitely eprops on using a recorder. dats da shit.

I dont know... I have only seen the last half of that movie.

I should watch it sometime.

Thats the one with dustin hoffman and T cruise right?

oui

• 2 years later...

This mix is interesting alone because of the recorder (not to say the song wasnt interesting on its own merits which it surely is), but the fact that someone was able to go off like that on one and remix a game with that featuring prominently is very impressive considering my main familiarity with the recorder is 6th graders making ear bleeding noises with them. Its nice to have a great song with a recorder for a change.

Great job Trenthian

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Excellent intro. It's what would imagine Steve Jablonsky might do for Desperate Housewives. Great cinematic vibe to it. When everything kicks in, the vibe changes to a very ethnic sound with the combination of the percussion and the pan flute. Sounds great! The brass is a little synthetic sounding, but since you have it so buried and layered, it's not terribly noticeable. The soundscape does get a little cluttered towards the end and there is some pretty heavy compression, but that's a fairly small qualm on the whole. The dynamic shifts and classic Trenthian and they sound fantastic. Great track mate!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow this is awesome! The memories... Good old days spent playing RPGs without a care in the world. The real world that is. Suikoden was always one of my favorites. Those days are long gone but live on through great vgm. Great mix! Props Trenthian!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01268 - Suikoden "Cliff the Great Crusader"