OCR01269 - Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble "A New Ray of Light"

djpretzel

Rather interesting. The sections in the 1:40 and 3:10 range with the slowdowns are the best parts, simply because they introduce some non-trippy flavor to the mix. The rest is good and all...just a bit generic in its execution.

The mix is still good. The synth line is phat, and the quality is high, the song danceable. Just...yeah.

9/10

Not a normal fan of techno, but this track is pretty cool. Kind of reminds me of DJP's Hyrulian remix, which was trance, then a flute solo, then back to the trance.

Love the dropout near 2:15, and the re-entrance of all the "insturments." Very happy stuff here. Definately a keeper. Great work as always, Sadorf and S|r_NutS.

oh yeah! some more good mixage for another great sonic game. i cant get enough of these.

plus i was waiting for S|r NutS to come out with something new anyway, i like his stuff. (havent heard anything of sadorf's, so, my apologies there)

jesus, its even from my favorite track in the game. third level boss. i can remember dodging shots from that thing for about an hour just to listen to the music. god this is sweet

so that compounds the appeal of the mix. i like it quite a bit.

Ah. Another amazing addition to the Sonica Electronica Foundation. Very unique, and flowing. It honestly took me til about halfway through minute 2 to get really into it. Some parts had some awkward resonance, but it didnt hurt the ears. After the three minute mark was really enjoyable for me.

9.5/10

I love this mix. I heard the WIP way back before S|r Nuts started to collab with Sadorf. This mix makes me remember Triple Trouble with such vivid detail. I feel like I'm really on the train from Sunset Park (I think) Act 3.

I love the new parts that happen around 2:00+ .

Great work!

This has a lot of really enjoyable things going on, one of the better S|r Nuts/Sadorf experiences. I definitely dig what you guys do. I also love the beat that comes in around 2:30 and is also incorporated into the outro - the beat plus the rhythm of the synth flow very nicely together, and is for me the hook that has me coming back everytime.

Great work you two.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this song sucks!

It is the most boring, repetitive, trash I've ever listened to. Does the creator of this track even listen to techno, cause I would say no. I myself have amassed a huge collection and I can tell that this song just plain sucks. The production is top notch, but the song itself lacks soul. You should hop over to VGmix 2 or whatever and listen to Gecko Yamori's "Mellow Tempest" or "Work It", now thats some good techno. Or pick up some Aphex Twin, whatever.

Please though, if you don't know anything about techno then please don't make it.

It is the most boring, repetitive, trash I've ever listened to. Does the creator of this track even listen to techno, cause I would say no. I myself have amassed a huge collection and I can tell that this song just plain sucks. The production is top notch, but the song itself lacks soul. You should hop over to VGmix 2 or whatever and listen to Gecko Yamori's "Mellow Tempest" or "Work It", now thats some good techno. Or pick up some Aphex Twin, whatever.

Please though, if you don't know anything about techno then please don't make it.

Obviously you don't anything about techno. Gecko rarely ever makes techno - more like house, techstep, electro or something funky. Real techno is something you'd think is terrible. What your thinking of electronica (listening electronic music - I just learned about that a few days ago instead of the old concept that electronica was the proper term for the term techno! heh)

Anyways on this piece, I found the rhythm a bit cheesy at the start, the jazzed rhythm is better but the rhythm sounds like Fairlight/Simmons drums trying to act like 909s which doesn't work. It doesn't really add to the aural depth as the bass too is weak.

As for the synths, they are ok as if to give a fresh new take on the cliched JP-8000 supersaw trance of the funny nation under the sea. However, they don't really catch my attention as it is cliched and it bores me a bit. However, the take on the melody makes up for that, I guess.

erhmm well I don't really listen to techno. For every electronica ignorant, everything that has somehow a 4 on the floor beat and sawy synths is techno, however, the genre I listen to (and mix in) is Trance.

I Don't know whats your huge collection of techno, but it sounds to me like you're just starting to listen to electronica. Trance has so many variations that I can't name them all. Infected mushrooms, Dj Tiesto, System F, Ferry Corsten, Carl Cox, Cosmic Gate, Those and many more are the type of electronica I listen to. I'm sure they won't ring a bell to you anyways.

For this mix, I didn't tought "hey lets mix this in melodic trance" or "I'm gonna make a friggin amazing Athem trance song out of this". I don't like to stick to genres, I just let my style flow with the mix. I don't know why this guy is so pissed off that this song doesn't sounds like techno when in the first place it wasn't intended to. I must agree in that gecko yamori is a good mixer, but "techno" is not his main genre. I suggest you to listen to people like SupergreenX, bLiNd, Prophecy or Thomas Nelson, those are consistent remixers of the genre, although, their genre is Trance, not techno.

So yeah, I don't mind if someone doesn't likes the song, but saying that it just plain sucks based on the fact that you have amassed a huge techno collection... I don't think its right (considering the fact that the song isn't techno). Also, saying its repetitive?!? lol this has more variation than the 80% of the trance songs. Start looking for some Trance artists, and then come back and give an opinion that actually has a base.

(and apex twin techno? wtf?)

Good Trance would be Sasha, some Oakenfold, and Underworld, but your right I really don't like Hard Trance. However, it said to review and If just giving you my take on it. Also, to defend my electronia knowledge, or whatever you want to call it, if you really want me to name off all the artists I owe I would be glad to. The name's would go well over 50. To name a few: Aphex Twin, Orbital, The Orb, Meat Beat Manifesto, Sasha, Gus gus, Naomi, Fragile State, u-Ziq, DJ Shadow, Juno Reactor, Depeche Mode, Massive Attack, Spicelab, Roni Size, The Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, AK1200, The Prodigy, Underworld, etc...

I really could keep going, trust me I know my stuff.

Also, I'm interested... what is Techno? Cause I guess I only know electronica. What are some artists that are considered Techno?

Good Trance would be Sasha, some Oakenfold, and Underworld, but your right I really don't like Hard Trance. However, it said to review and If just giving you my take on it. Also, to defend my electronia knowledge, or whatever you want to call it, if you really want me to name off all the artists I owe I would be glad to. The name's would go well over 50. To name a few: Aphex Twin, Orbital, The Orb, Meat Beat Manifesto, Sasha, Gus gus, Naomi, Fragile State, u-Ziq, DJ Shadow, Juno Reactor, Depeche Mode, Massive Attack, Spicelab, Roni Size, The Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, AK1200, The Prodigy, Underworld, etc...

Also, I'm interested... what is Techno? Cause I guess I only know electronica. What are some artists that are considered Techno?

lmao... from those names I can only choose a few as trance. crystal method? chemical brothers? the prodigy? depeche mode? Meat Beat Manifesto? DJ SHADOW? Also I must admit that Paul Oakenfold would be good trance (In fact I'm going to his concert soon in my country) but come on, from those artists you mentioned there's a big range of genres that don't include trance. Big beat, breakbeat, Trip Hop, dnb.. hell they aren't even techno. So what makes you think you could say what is good trance or good techno?

meh, I'm not gonna even bother anymore.

Listen to some D.A.V.E. the Drummer, Umek, Chris Liberator, Chris Liebing, Mistress Barbara, Jeff Mills, Adam Beyer, Patrick DSP....

List goes on, but what techno is mainly about is the glorification of the electronic sound - as mechanical as can be - and then make it danceable. Some of it not and thus called experimental.

Meh...this really isn't Trance too much...I'd say Trance-lite at best...but that's pushing it...

Trance? How about some Armin van Buuren, DJ Dawn, TTF, Airbase, Daniel Soto, or Marco V?

That's trance. This is not trance.

The melody got pretty repetitive...and I don't really think it was that good of one to begin with...

Average.

lmao... from those names I can only choose a few as trance. crystal method? chemical brothers? the prodigy? depeche mode? Meat Beat Manifesto? DJ SHADOW? Also I must admit that Paul Oakenfold would be good trance (In fact I'm going to his concert soon in my country) but come on, from those artists you mentioned there's a big range of genres that don't include trance. Big beat, breakbeat, Trip Hop, dnb.. hell they aren't even techno. So what makes you think you could say what is good trance or good techno?

meh, I'm not gonna even bother anymore.

I think you missed my point. Only the first three I listed I named as Trance

I'm too tired to take the time to pick apart this song section by section, so I'll just give a brief rundown. This arrangement of Sunset Park Zone, Act 3 is pretty solid. It starts out like any chilled-out trance song, slowly coasting into more solid beats. . . Fade-in drums. . . "Chimes" and notes that cut in and out. . . Stuff like that. It's pretty average as a trance song, really, but as a remix of Sunset Park Zone, Act 3, it works well.

Now. . .on another topic, I'm not complaining, buuuuut. . . There are other songs in the game that are worthy of being remixed. It seems like that every time there's a Sonic & Tails 2 arrangement or remix out there, it's of this song. Now, I know those of you keeping track are probably aware that there haven't been many remixes/arrangements from this game overall. Ztrop was nice enough to make an arrangement of this song for me a while back, which is on VG Music as I type this. And there was one by some random dude that I can't remember. I had it on my MP3 player at some point. It was someone here at OC ReMix, in fact, who posted it in the WiP forum. But, I digress.

Short Story: Average-sounding trance song, very good-sounding remix.

erhmm well I don't really listen to techno. For every electronica ignorant, everything that has somehow a 4 on the floor beat and sawy synths is techno, however, the genre I listen to (and mix in) is Trance.

I Don't know whats your huge collection of techno, but it sounds to me like you're just starting to listen to electronica. Trance has so many variations that I can't name them all. Infected mushrooms, Dj Tiesto, System F, Ferry Corsten, Carl Cox, Cosmic Gate, Those and many more are the type of electronica I listen to. I'm sure they won't ring a bell to you anyways.

For this mix, I didn't tought "hey lets mix this in melodic trance" or "I'm gonna make a friggin amazing Athem trance song out of this". I don't like to stick to genres, I just let my style flow with the mix. I don't know why this guy is so pissed off that this song doesn't sounds like techno when in the first place it wasn't intended to. I must agree in that gecko yamori is a good mixer, but "techno" is not his main genre. I suggest you to listen to people like SupergreenX, bLiNd, Prophecy or Thomas Nelson, those are consistent remixers of the genre, although, their genre is Trance, not techno.

So yeah, I don't mind if someone doesn't likes the song, but saying that it just plain sucks based on the fact that you have amassed a huge techno collection... I don't think its right (considering the fact that the song isn't techno). Also, saying its repetitive?!? lol this has more variation than the 80% of the trance songs. Start looking for some Trance artists, and then come back and give an opinion that actually has a base.

(and apex twin techno? wtf?)

K honestly.... i hate 99% of trance because alot of people submit garbage to this genre and they sound the same. This is just because they are trying to imitate some mainstream dj or artist that made a trance peice.. and the original guy that said this remix was trash and repetative... wtf are u talking about. I can say that hands down this track is not repetative. It has so many variations, and its the 1% of trance i like. Its nice and slow, it has an epic feel to it. Dude, u know jack shit about techno if u think this is trash. and if ur saying its trash cause ur basing it on genre, get a life man. dont be so freaking biased. Go listen to sasha for instance, he mops the floor with apex twins abstract shit. Honestly. I have been listening to techno since the day it was born, 19 or so years ago. I know good techno. Apex twin... like come on man. To each his own, but that man just uses a bunch of screwed up sound effects and a shitload of effects. Go listen to BT, a man who devoted his entire life to the study of music, and therefore has become one of the most inspiring electronica artists in the world. Hey on second thought, before you start saying that an author has no idea of what techno is, and should listen to it before he makes it, why dont u go listen to some other sir nuts songs. that will shut u up. For instance, go listen to his Heat man remix on vgmix. this is fantastic and ingenious! This is a man who knows his techno.

http://vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=577

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01269 - Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble "A New Ray of Light"