OCR03807 - *YES* Seiken Densetsu 3 "The Fairytale Fair" *PROJECT*

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Archangel
Your real name: Jaka Čibej (That's a Slovenian male name, short for Jakob - just to avoid any sex-change stuff, that happens kind of often. XD )
Your email address: 
Your website: http://www.reverbnation.com/jakacibejarchangel
Your userid: 23355 (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=23355)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana II)
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Ordinary People
Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: Hiroki Kikuta
Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): Already available.

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

This is my third submission to the panel. It's a remix I did for the Seiken Densetsu 3 Project (Songs of Light and Darkness), so if it passes it shouldn't be posted until the project is out! Now that I've got the disclaimer of the way, here are my thoughts on the remix:

I distinctly remembered the source track from the game since you spend so much time in various villages buying equipment and sleeping at the inn, and hearing it has always given me the impression of standing in the middle of a village fair. Everyone is speaking, you can hear various animal sounds, merchants yelling, children laughing, the sun is shining and a stream is bubbling nearby, while on the nearby meadows tons of butterflies fly around.

It all seemed very folkish and naturey, so naturally I chose to make a very carefree-sounding remix, full of "bright" instruments (the harp, the piccolo , the piano and so forth). I decided to make it a bit slower than the original (except for the ending part), to make it sound more like a peaceful fair and less like chasing a mischievous sprite through a village. I added some recorder and some Irish low whistle to achieve a more medieval sound, plus some bassoon, just because I love the way it sounds, so fat, clumsy and grumpy!

Enjoy!

Regards

J.

-----------------

(btw, check out the YT comment)

Pretty much an expanded take rather than a reinterpretation, this was pretty effectively handled. Some really nice ornamental expansion, and a beautiful soundscape makes this a really solid piece. Great intertwined melodies, and plenty of space throughout, a good flow, and just about the perfect length.

It really does channel the playful spirit of a village fair. I do think it is slightly conservative, but there is plenty of structural expansion, and a lot of additional parts, so it clears the bar there. Production is great and clean as well, so nothing from stopping me from giving this a Yes.

I was excited when I saw this submission after hearing Dragon Wings. That being said I enjoyed listening to this mix quite a bit. You handle all the instruments well, and while the arrangement is a bit conservative it still has a lot of personalization and additional elements to give it a nice flair. The only thing I would have liked is some more bass presence, but I recognize that you purposely did not add it to give the more fair feel.

Hope to hear more from you in the future,

YES

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03807 - *YES* Seiken Densetsu 3 "The Fairytale Fair" *PROJECT*