Wintry Album?

Bahamut

So, I was curious how much interest there would be for a wintry/Christmas themed album for posting on OCR with a bit of quick turnaround. I know Dyne is running his annual OverClocked Christmas album, but I am interested in something with some tighter quality control. Not all tracks need to be postable on OCR though.

The turnaround would have to be pretty quick since winter is coming up and Christmas is only less than a month away. I am thinking for the album to be done in under 2 months - can it be done? All depends on the interest and how dedicated people are I guess. If there is interest, all things will be handled via direct contact with me.

The subsequent tracklist is only suggested, and I certainly would not need all of them done, or any on the list for that matter - if you know of a song that has a wintry feel to it or you want to take in a wintry direction, by all means I'd be fine with it

Banjo Kazooie - Freezeezy Peak -

Diddy Kong Racing - Walrus Cove -

Diddy Kong Racing - Frosty Village -

Diddy Kong Racing - Snowball Valley - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK9npqePSaY

Final Fantasy 7 - Buried in the Snow -

Kirby's Dreamland 3 - Ripple Field 2 -

Lufia - Field Motif - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSiU2UOP8KE

Lufia 2 - Winter -

Mario Kart 64 - Frappe Snowland -

Mario Kart: Double Dash - Sherbet Land - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13NYYDjE-9s

Mega Man X - Chill Penguin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ISsXnti24

Mega Man X3 - Blizzard Buffalo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL3m1izjzHY

Mega Man X4 - Frost Walrus Stage 1 & 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWnIPxFMXw , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFaKWt9RWrg

Mega Man X6 - Blizzard Wolfgang - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDiVxIwToyU

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Ice Cap Zone -

Super Mario 64 - Snow Mountain -

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Snowpeak -

A graphic artist would also be needed if there is interest.

I am DEFINITELY interested in this. I have some thoughts about it that I'd like to share with you, so I'll do that outside of this thread, but yes, I'm definitely interested in seeing this kind of an album on OCR, and I'm sure others are as well.

Edit: I'd like to do a track, though I'm not as musically versed as many others, I will do my best. Just don't throw me up there just yet, I need some time to put together something to prove that I can actually do it.

maybe if he mean's make a quick good songs then pakage it fast :o

I don't care if he already has all of the remixers lined up with all of the mixes finished. I'm tired of the current trend of projects out the ass. We already have too many fucking projects, and yet another one with 'quick turnaround' means what, all of the other ones get pushed back even further? I know some projects try to line up and be released on a day that commemorates the original game, but trying to get everyone's plans to line up is bad enough, especially when we need breather room from each album so each can have their time in the limelight, not release one project one day and then have another release the next day.

I mean, it should be evident that we need to back off on these projects when we have several trying to get off the ground in the Recruit forum by people who aren't even known in the community, let alone be able to keep the project afloat by themselves (ie. aren't remixers). Not that it's a problem for some people (see Jade and Wild Arms), but I'm also a bit tired of people starting over nine thousand projects for the sake of doing projects, and I am looking SQUARELY (not rectangularly, or triangularly) at you, Baha. You've got Mega Man X, Lufia 2, and your concept RPG project. Is that really not enough?

Now that that's over, I agree that it's a cool idea (I planned on doing a holiday album myself with at least three of the sources mentioned), but if you're gonna start it now for a December 2011 release, that's fine, as long as no one else has already vied for a release then. Or you could always make it non-OCR but still have an OCR quality standard, but I assume if it's going to be through OCR, you want the publicity as well.

my 10¢

I didn't expect this much outright hostility (you're not the only one Xenon), so I'm going to put out front a few of my thoughts out there.

1. I'm sick of seeing a lot of poorly directed projects - this goes for a large majority (but certainly not all). Some current directors have some outstanding issues from taking over some of the poorly handled projects & I have offered assistance in many ways whether it be recruiting in directly contacting people or connecting others who might have time or advice. I've found much of the advice ignored in many instances (generally speaking, not just older projects) until after a long time later (1+ year), if at all, in which people realize I was completely right, or in one case, one person co-directing a project agreeing with my advice (& came to the same conclusion independently but glad to have it verified by me) but was ignored by his co-directors.

This observation isn't even from a short period of time - this trend has been here for quite a long time. If people don't want to see others accomplishing getting successful ones done, then perhaps they should vent their anger towards people who can't or have been unwilling to make the decisions they need to to get theirs complete since these album projects are as much a communal accomplishment as individual. I've waited long enough in seeing them try to accomplish & people complain about those who actually succeed and want to see that success diminished in favor of waiting...for what? For people keeping on starting new album projects with little idea what they're doing and continuing the cycle which has created the whole mess in the first place? I'm going to be honest here - I think it's out of line given the comparative pushback on the real problems, especially when I've offered my assistance for many of them in private. I certainly almost never see this type of pushback towards all the others when there are many cases where it's more deserved.

2. If people are so worried about breather or whatever they want to insert as a frankly arbitrary reason, they should keep in mind that the community is getting continually larger, and that will result in more people participating in all aspects of the site. Albums also come out all of the time period, and if one wants to take that line of argument, one might argue there's too much music out there period, which I think is hogwash.

If one is willing to put an onus on me for the increased music creation rate from projects, I believe it should be placed equally strongly on others to move things along better, as part of the logjam is from older projects finally completing after taking their sweet time. I don't see others caring too much about that & just glad when they become released, so why single me out of all people? Because I am willing & do put a lot of time & effort in something I genuinely love that I honestly cannot say is matched by too many?

3. Is there also that much dislike for having new music available? Sure, the music doesn't have to be in the form of an album project, but there are obvious reasons for why they have become popular choices, and on more than one occasion it has brought new people into the community - Lufia 2 for example helped bring Dr. Manhattan around to subbing to OCR, and I can name others who have had confidence raised through my efforts. Some have improved markedly with help from others and me, which is another big reason I like running album projects - I like seeing people improve, and it helps almost all parties involved learn. They also help people network & become more comfortable as a part of the community.

I could probably go on but I think some people already have their mind made up about things & haven't considered the circumstances of the broader situation. It seems with all of this somewhat irrational pushback, I will hold off, but I'm disappointed with the disproportionate attitude in general.

A winter themed album does seem like a good idea, but I don't think it will be needed with the amount of albums coming out in the next few months. Not to mention you have Megaman X to finish off, which would probably benefit from the attention you'd give this project if you end up doing it. Those are my main reasons for being less than enthusiastic about this project.

The other reason is the quick turnaround which could mean either a potentially rushed album or one that isn't finished by the deadline as many people that are interested in projects are up to their eyeballs in stuff anyway. Finally, your Megaman X project's original final deadline was a few months back and was pushed forward so I'd expect that to happen here as well.

You said Dyne was doing a winter themed album... why don't you take quality control of that instead? It would mean less work for you and i'm sure Dyne wouldn't say no (do correct me if i'm wrong dyne :P)

That said, if you do decide to do a winter themed ocr album, then I wish you luck.

Well first off Baha, I did not know you offered assistance for struggling projects, so my apologies on that end. I also agree wholeheartedly about poorly run projects; that's truly the core of my distaste for project hate in the first place.

However, the problem that gets me the most is everyone's intent on making a project an OCR official project. I wouldn't mind having new music every day; heck, it seems like I'm trying to find it myself. But once the "official" aspect enters, it seems as if many directors don't really understand all of the different elements that this encompasses, and it gets ugly when there is already a backlog of projects that have been patiently waiting for their turn in the spotlight, especially when it comes to having release dates that correspond with certain events with the game.

Now, in terms of how the projects have been divided lately (1 disc and 2-4 disc albums), I think this works and should be the format for a while, until the eventual overall that will happen due to the growth of the community. But in terms of quick turnaround, I don't think OCR should be involved, sans for a posted mix and a "Hey, check this album out!" kind of deal a la Essence of Lime and ilp0's Mega Man album. I mean, look at the project queue as it is now. Teen Agent just got released, so who knows how much longer before either Link's Awakening and Pokémon will come out, and then once one of those do, the other will be next. Meanwhile, halc's got to wait all of that time with a finished project because everyone deserves their time, despite that he finished The Sound of Speed waaaay faster than either of the other two.

I singled you out because at the time you started the Lufia project, you hadn't finished DKC2, had just started MMX a month or so prior and to be honest, looked like you were just creating projects for the sake of creating projects. This was a bias from me, and I apologize for doing so on this album as well, especially since you were just proposing the idea. But even then, since you've said I'm not the only one who has shown disdain, perhaps some people are just getting burned out from the fact that all these projects just keep piling up on one another like there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

I do support this project so don't get me wrong, but... in the project rules that you posted yourself, it says "Are you already involved with the coordination of other projects? Unless you have a track record of successful album projects, you must limit yourself to coordinating one album project at a time. If you have established credentials we may make exceptions and allow two simultaneous projects."

You're definitely established but that still is just 2 simultaneous projects... unless I'm missing something and you're above the law. :-P But yes, don't get me wrong, I DO support this project. I'm just sayin...