OCR02403 - *YES* Mega Man X2 'Intruder Alert'

DragonAvenger

Hi,

This is a remix made for the upcoming Project Album MMX: Maverick Rising initiated by Bahamut. It's a remix heard from MMX2 Magna Centipede's Central Computer Stage. I had fun working with this track. I hope you guys enjoy it :)

Basic info:

Game: Megaman X2

Track: Magna Centipede: Central Computer Stage

Original Composer: Yuki Iwai

Orginal here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYvQ8pDTseQ

Remix can be found here:

Cheers,

Washudoll (Dihaz. M.H.)

User ID: 3331

-----------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYvQ8pDTseQ

I have some bias, as MMX2 was my favorite of the series for a long time, and I thought overall it had a pretty solid soundtrack. I think the adaption here is pretty sweet overall, although I would have liked there to have been a little bit more adaption of the source melody at times. I think the balance between original and source is nicely done.

The bass drum needs a little more oomph; doesn't feel like it's cutting through nearly enough in the soundscape. There were also a few times where the timing felt ever so slightly off, almost a tad lazy, if that makes sense. I think it's related to the instrument attacks more than anything. Aside from those issues, the production seems pretty good to me.

Love it:

YES

EDIT: I read Andrew's vote, and I will have to agree with him on the strings, drums, and guitars. I still don't think it's quite enough for me to call it a no, but it would be pretty awesome if those things could get fixed up.

Pretty exciting intro with the vocal clips; this is how vocal clips are used, people!

I do think the horn attacks and the counter melody strings were a little slow, and things suffered, and the rhythm guitars were mixed a little too quietly, with the leads too loud. The drums sounded like mushy AD drums, which are very capable of being cleaned up. The snare needs more crack, and the kick a little more beater. The drum patterns were good and varied, with exciting fills, and arrangement-wise things were exciting and dramatic, with a good expansion and use of source with some newer sections.

Overall, it's close, but needs a bit of production polish to make it over, definitely a good candidate for a resub. I encourage you to fix up those issues and send it back. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Hah cool intro.

The fusion of orchestral, rock, and synth elements works very well. I love it. I'm not crazy about the mix though. The whole thing is a bit brittle. Also, Those drums are getting crushed, and the cymbals breathe audibly at times. It's tough to make room for everything in such a loud and busy mix, but you really need to get that kick drum up a bit.

I'm not going to go no on this one; I think the fixes are pretty minor, and I want this to be a

YES, conditional on bringing up the bottom end a little bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, cool mix, right from the intro. So many moving parts and it all fits together. The slow attacks did bother me a little, but it was easy to overlook most of the time with everything going on. The mixing was also not perfect, but for such a busy mix, it's great that I can hear everything clearly and that the energy level is high. The drums could have been better samples, but I think this is passable. Let's see how it goes.

YES

• 1 month later...

Sheesh, this is a good arrangement.

Gonna echo all of the comments on the sequencing and mixing. They're the things keeping this only a great mix and not a "my word, my face seems to have evaporated" mix. Even so, this is still over the bar thanks to the strengths of the arrangement.

YES

Structurally, it initially held pretty fast to the source, but there was good expansion along with much needed flourishes and personalization to really pick up the interpretive potential of the arrangement. Not feeling the sequenced guitar at :56, but I've heard so much worse. This was solid enough.

Really disappointed in the awful crowded production from 2:17-2:30. The splashy percussion and the barely audible bassline playing the source resulted in a messy, unfocused soundscape. Definitely get the source usage pushed more to the forefront to avoid that brief hiccup.

That said, things picked back up nicely after that brief hiccup with some awesome synth writing to cap off some stylish arrangement ideas. On the whole, I'm really digging the approach here. Production Issues aside, it's definitely a epic-style take on this one that really amped up the enegy level and generally clicked. Ultimately, I can roll with this as is. But if you COULD tweak these issues, you should do so. Nice work nonetheless, Dihaz!

YES