OCR02139 - Final Fantasy IV "Crazy Old Betty"

djpretzel

I feel like its just an echo of what was already said, but this is an amazing work of orchestration. Even though its short, there is a lot of variety in the sound. I dig the choir at 0:45, it feels like something out of a horror movie, and then jumps right on into some smooth jazz. I hope there are more mixes coming from you, Sergiu...

Wow! I want more; far too short.

You really created the images well here, I definitely see what you were going for, and it worked beautifully.

I like the sway and flow of it, I can almost see Betty in the past dancing at a ball, or just dancing through her room, stumbling about.

It's very dark and creepy, but it has a beauty and elegance about it, along with a sort of "kookiness." It also has a certain aged quality about it.

Bravo.

As soon as I read the concept idea for this mix I had a feeling it was going to be something I'd enjoy, and it certainly was! Only "problem" here, to echo everyone else, is just how short it is, this definitely one that I've already found myself listening to a couple times in a row just to really get that atmosphere.

Speaking of the atmosphere, that's totally what makes this mix, and I really dig it, if it's creepy, it's not in a scary way, just in kind of a weird way. I've been playing a lot of Machinarium lately and I couldn't help but be reminded of the speechless way the characters interact in that game while listening to this. Of course, the original concept is a lot of fun to imagine too, I sort of get the sense of a character telling a story with flashbacks to all of the crazy things that must have happened in their life.

The radio switch on/off is a very nice touch as well, amazing how good even a 2 minute mix can be when it manages to nail an atmosphere like this.

Its sounds like it was Danny Elfman who made it.

This ^

Oh wow, I love the radio framing design.

That plus the subtly, broken, "you just know something is wrong here" tone makes for a really delicious mix. Also, the swing elements are distinctive and feel welcome. Truly, this is a cool take on Into the Darkness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It does sound playfully dark, like something out of a Tim Burton movie. It fits the idea of an asylum inmate slowly losing it. The idea with the radio intro and outro was really cool. A bit short, but very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Great remix! I don't know if it necessarily fits my memory of that cave, but what a great mix. I cannot get enough of it. Totally unique. The orchestration sounds really great too, imo. Also I like that it is sort of sassy.

I love this so much that I can't even use my words.

• 1 month later...

Read the description about dear old Betty as the track started. Thought, "Oh, how cute, with the radio thing!"

Then came the transition. Literally got the chills. It was awesome.

I've always found the very beginning of the source material to be suitably mysterious and potentially frightening, but felt it was a bit too fast to be properly discomfiting. This piece didn't slow it down but still fixed that issue, and made it absolutely creepy.

I'm not a huge jazz fan, either; it has to be pretty light for me to not notice/not care/actually like it. But what was here really worked, and the swing bits were a good inclusion. I guess what I'm saying is that nothing overwhelmed anything else except where it was needed to give the sense of someone who's a little disconnected and whose memory isn't as reliable as one would hope.

Very well done.

~LS

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02139 - Final Fantasy IV "Crazy Old Betty"