Final Fantasy X - Errante (Thunder Plains)

Silent Edge

This is my second work, made with FL Studio.. Well, I haven't finished my first work yet, but I suddenly got the inspiration for this one, and I immediately wrote it down!

It's an arrangement of the Thunder Plains theme from Final Fantasy X in ambient style, or at least, that's the style I want to give to this song.

The funny thing is that I got the inspiration while I was whistling this song, I realized that a 'whistle version' of it would've been kinda cool, so I tried to make one myself and I managed to arrange it in ambient style.

The song's not complete yet, I should add something more to make it more tasty , and the ending's missing! (I still haven't figured out a possible ending for the song, actually..)

There's much work to do but I wanted to post a preview version for it, please leave me some comments! Even bad ones are well accepted, as you might've noticed I'm totally a novice in this field, I need some advices/critics from elders y'know :P

I prsonally think I should change that whistle synth, also, I need a mute triangle so bad, but I can't find one >_>

Source:

Link: http://tindeck.com/listen/vuip

• 3 months later...

Lower the velocity on the piano for a softer sound (unless that's a single velocity-layer piano, in which case get a better one). The parts where the piano and whistling play in unison... shouldn't. I'd either change one of them to play a different melody entirely (probably something backing-y) or have them alternate playing the current melody and being backing for the other instrument.

Interesting idea, decent start. Keep it up. :D

Lower the velocity on the piano for a softer sound (unless that's a single velocity-layer piano, in which case get a better one). The parts where the piano and whistling play in unison... shouldn't. I'd either change one of them to play a different melody entirely (probably something backing-y) or have them alternate playing the current melody and being backing for the other instrument.

Interesting idea, decent start. Keep it up. :D

I felt there was something wrong in the piano velocity, but I wasn't so sure, now that you confirmed that, I'll definitely lower it!

The piano & whistle unison is the proof of my low level skills in this field, infact I never thought of alternating them, I must try that out!

Thanks for your advices, Sir :)

• 2 months later...

So I made up a few changes again, I softered the piano like Rozovian suggested me, and I added a fully wet-reverbered piano on the back.

I made some minor changes on the whistle too, and I increased the master volume, wich was too low before.

In some parts the piano and the whistle are still playing in unison, I haven't find an alternative melody yet, plus, it looks like I'm really near to the limit of my laptop's capacities, and you might notice that if you listen to the song carefully.. I wanted to add more things, like atmospherical effects sounds ('cause it's the Thunder Plains!) but I need a more powerful computer to do so.

The big lack in this one is that it's not really well-mastered, I've learnt so many things in a little time, but mastering is still kinda unkown to me (compressors and other stuffs, I'm just able to use equalizers xD).

This might sound you crazy, but I'm seriously thinking about submitting this one, although it's a 99% it will get a *NO*, it's still a good way to let the judges read my name at least once, 'cause I'll come back with better ReMixes until I'm not part of you OCReMixers!

So I made up a few changes again, I softered the piano like Rozovian suggested me, and I added a fully wet-reverbered piano on the back.

I made some minor changes on the whistle too, and I increased the master volume, wich was too low before.

In some parts the piano and the whistle are still playing in unison, I haven't find an alternative melody yet, plus, it looks like I'm really near to the limit of my laptop's capacities, and you might notice that if you listen to the song carefully.. I wanted to add more things, like atmospherical effects sounds ('cause it's the Thunder Plains!) but I need a more powerful computer to do so.

The big lack in this one is that it's not really well-mastered, I've learnt so many things in a little time, but mastering is still kinda unkown to me (compressors and other stuffs, I'm just able to use equalizers xD).

This might sound you crazy, but I'm seriously thinking about submitting this one, although it's a 99% it will get a *NO*, it's still a good way to let the judges read my name at least once, 'cause I'll come back with better ReMixes until I'm not part of you OCReMixers!

I love this source. My main trouble was with the piano (and whistle actually) being out of time. Whenever you play the ending phrase on the piano the one that goes A G F - semiquaver, semiquaver, quaver. Ugh, I wish you could embed sound or notation QUICKLY and easily. anyway, yeah, that phrase always sounds out of time and unconfident are you playing it in? If so quantise that part. The whole piano sounds just a tiny bit unconfident and at times a bit loose whilst the part is very staccato and needs to be in time.

Whilst i've never submitted anything and really haven't posted an Remixes here I wouldn't suggest posting something you're not confident will get through just to show you're here. That'll probably get you a bad rep.

I think you could add some drums to this - make them quite subtle but that might give it some energy - i would put them in perhaps halfway through at a new section.

Also if you're stuck for new material on this piece as you have only really changed up the instruments a bit. I'd suggest just playing the melody and seeing if anything else fits or do the opposite, play the accompaniment and see if you can fit a different melody over the top. try and expand on the melody or write a new section in the same kind of style as thunder plains.

These are my suggestions.

I love this source. My main trouble was with the piano (and whistle actually) being out of time. Whenever you play the ending phrase on the piano the one that goes A G F - semiquaver, semiquaver, quaver. Ugh, I wish you could embed sound or notation QUICKLY and easily. anyway, yeah, that phrase always sounds out of time and unconfident are you playing it in? If so quantise that part. The whole piano sounds just a tiny bit unconfident and at times a bit loose whilst the part is very staccato and needs to be in time.

Whilst i've never submitted anything and really haven't posted an Remixes here I wouldn't suggest posting something you're not confident will get through just to show you're here. That'll probably get you a bad rep.

I think you could add some drums to this - make them quite subtle but that might give it some energy - i would put them in perhaps halfway through at a new section.

Also if you're stuck for new material on this piece as you have only really changed up the instruments a bit. I'd suggest just playing the melody and seeing if anything else fits or do the opposite, play the accompaniment and see if you can fit a different melody over the top. try and expand on the melody or write a new section in the same kind of style as thunder plains.

These are my suggestions.

Thanks for your advices :)

The problem is that my laptop's not enough powerful to add more things to this piece, but I'm planning to get some new hardware, so I'll review it completely after I'll buy my new pc.

I wouldn't suggest posting something you're not confident will get through just to show you're here. That'll probably get you a bad rep.

Damn, I was so optimistic and naive I didn't even consider that xD

I guess you're right, this is not the right one to begin with! (at least, for now..)

Thanks for your advices :)

The problem is that my laptop's not enough powerful to add more things to this piece, but I'm planning to get some new hardware, so I'll review it completely after I'll buy my new pc.

Damn, I was so optimistic and naive I didn't even consider that xD

I guess you're right, this is not the right one to begin with! (at least, for now..)

It seems like you have a good attitude so i think you'll get a lot out of this.

My main issues were not with the amount of tracks - although some of my suggestions required that. It was the timing issues in the piano and whistle - do you have a quantize feature on your DAW or perhaps try and re-record particularly the end phrases which always seem to sound unconfident and out of time.

Keep it up, i guess wait till your new PC to do the super serious stuff!

Well Calum covered quite a bit of it with his posts, but ill just re-affirm a few things. First, I will say that even though this track is lacking in a lot of areas, it's still okay to post something like this in these forums without any real repercussions. You can only compose and produce to a certain level, so your rep will just kinda be "what it is" until your skills and equipment improve. As far as the track is concerned, I echo Calum on everything he said and I will add a few things to consider. You still need much better patches. I know it's a bummer, but basically all of your patches strike me as dated and lo-fi. If you can't afford new patches, I would suggest you play heavily with things like velocity and effects to give the whole thing a more human sound. Also, your problem with timing is based around the fact that the whistle setting has a good amount of attack to it, like a real whistle, but that cant work with a piano like that (playing notes in unison). All said, though I like the source track, and the idea you're presenting here, you need a big over-haul on the entire mix. I also heard definite clipping going on, which is never a good thing. You should listen to some of the submitted FFX tracks that passed the board to get an idea of the standard that OCR accepts. This one would probably not pass on any level. Just keep at it. We all start somewhere, and the only way to go is up. Good luck:razz: