*NO* Super Dodge Ball 'Dodge This Sakura'

DragonAvenger

This is my remix of the infamous Team Japan track from Super Dodgeball for the 'Around the World' OCR Project with the 'Sakura, Sakura' Melody that is used as a teaching method on the Koto and other stringed instruments in Japan. Its a very famous folksong in that land also showing its head in other games of the NES days, even Mike Tyson's Punchout on Piston Honda's intro. When I heard the Super Dodgeball version it just REALLY caught me and I had to make a killer mix of it. I even got the attention of the famous Deadmau5 when he opened submissions for mau5trap. You can hear it here (it is an early version of the track) http://soundcloud.com/fuckmylife/favorites?page=2

He was on stickam (video chat) and started asking me how I did things and the chatroom exploded with jealous rage. An interesting moment for me but also a confirmation that the professional dance world isn't too far away from OCReMix and its dance music. He actually wanted to sign me to mau5trap but of all 12 tracks he marked for signing, he forgot about them and ended up focusing on his tour instead which is understandable. I finished the track as I broadcasted me working on my own stickam channel with a small audience from OCR. I asked if anyone knew where I could get someone talking about sakura trees in Japanese and Per Lichtman found this website with audiobooks.

http://ikeda-hideo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/license_e.html

So that is where the sample is from. This is also the text for the sample

http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000074/files/427_19793.html

Roughly translate he is talking about how beautiful the Sakura Trees are and it might be because of the burried corpses under them. It fits the track well anyway. The bassline is rockin and will definitely want to make you bounce. I hope you enjoy listening to this as much as I did making it.

PS -

This track has a lot of meaning it seems. Global Trance sent Jade a birthday gift of a TMNT shirt and sent me a shirt as well because of this track. Not to dodge the sakura but to rest under it

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Sakura_Samuraih1vDetail.png

bLiNd

-------------------------

Great sounds, nice flow, and good source use. The ping gets a little piercing in some spots due to the shifting volume levels, but otherwise I was really feeling this track. Great transitions, good variation, nice inclusion of semi-ethnic sounds, and excellent bass.

Only reason this was paneled was the use of a folk song, but that sortof thing happens with Tetris all the time, and this arrangement is more than enough to silence all doubters. Great stuff, dude.

Yes

This should have been a direct post! Jordan's production quality is always absolutely ABSURD, and easily on par with the best trance and house artists in the world. What I love about his sound design in general is that it's full of little details, interesting synth choices and organic sounds. In particular, this mix has a really nice 'enveloping' and atmospheric feel. As for the arrangement, which takes a rather minimal VG source and expands it across the mix, it's excellent.

A resounding YES

Just noting to everyone that the Tetris theme is the singular exception to our policy of not allowing remixes of VG songs based on non-VG songs. We've even got that listed out in the submission standards. I will check this out soon to see how much the folk song is used, but saying "because Tetris used a folk song, this is ok" doesn't jibe with the current standards.

Just noting to everyone that the Tetris theme is the singular exception to our policy of not allowing remixes of VG songs based on non-VG songs. We've even got that listed out in the submission standards. I will check this out soon to see how much the folk song is used, but saying "because Tetris used a folk song, this is ok" doesn't jibe with the current standards.

If that's the case, this might be an automatic no-go, because it's almost entirely based on Sakura Sakura.

Let's see what Dave thinks.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't say this is a super clear-cut NO Override. The Dodge Ball song is based off

, but has some original sections to it, which Jordan uses. In fact, there's more usage of the original sections than the Sakura melody:

Dodge Ball sections:

0:00-0:15

2:09-2:22

3:35-4:21

5:07-5:21

=88 seconds

Sakura sections:

2:39-2:54

3:09-3:35 (with Dodge Ball hook at the end of some phrases)

4:41-5:07 (with Dodge Ball hook at the end of some phrases)

=67 seconds

I would say that the Dodge Ball song has enough original parts that it is its own song, just like certain songs from the TMNT games that incorporate the TV show theme. If Jordan had shied away or minimized the Sakura melody this would be fine for OCR. But 67 seconds is definitely not an "extremely limited" use of source material not originally from a game.

By the way, this song is amazing.

NO OVERRIDE