Chipamp Updated to v1.0!

djpretzel

chipamp_logo_white_bg.jpg

Chipamp, a bundle of Winamp VGM-related input plugins, has been updated from version 0.9 to version 1.0. In addition to fixing incompatibilities with Winamp 5.6+ related to an outdated version of SNESAmp, this update removes adplug, which was causing problems with MIDI files, updates a number of other plugins, and adds several new plugins and formats.

Chipamp is available for free at http://chipamp.org.

Please uninstall Chipamp before upgrading!

Below is a list of plugins included in Chipamp and their respective homepages and authors. The version included in Chipamp is also indicated (this should usually be the latest & greatest). As a sidenote, chiptune plugins often rely on emulation libraries coded by other developers, so remember to check each plugin's homepage and documentation for a more complete who's who. Please contact us if you have additions/corrections to the below information.

Included Plugins & Versions

Changelog

0.9, 8/27/2006

• Initial release

1.0, 12/17/2010

• Removed adPlug, in_sk00l plugins due to conflicts with default .MID, .MOD
  • Updated SNESAmp to latest version; fixes errors with Winamp 5.6+
  • Updated 64th Note to 1.2 Beta 3
  • Updated NEZplug to 0.9.4.8 + 2 + 19.20
  • Updated NotSo Fatso! to 0.86
  • Added new plugins: AODSF, AOSSF, ASAP, MDX, S98, SC68, VGMSTREAM, VIO2SF, WSR, YM

Woo-hoo! Nice to see that this handy little plugin pack hasn't been forgotten. djp, you spoil us all.

However, I did notice that the included vgmstream isn't the most recent version. r659, the version included, is the most recent on the sourceforge page, but at hcs' site (http://hcs64.com/files/vgmstream/) they have the most recent versions compiled. Right now, it looks like r898 is the newest version they have.

Woo-hoo! Nice to see that this handy little plugin pack hasn't been forgotten. djp, you spoil us all.

However, I did notice that the included vgmstream isn't the most recent version. r659, the version included, is the most recent on the sourceforge page, but at hcs' site (http://hcs64.com/files/vgmstream/) they have the most recent versions compiled. Right now, it looks like r898 is the newest version they have.

Interesting, missed that. Although, I'd sort of like to know why SourceForge is out of date... what's the purpose of it being there if it's not updated? We can include this in v1.1 along with any other feedback/suggestions we get between now and then (v1.1 will almost certainly be a matter of weeks, not months or <cough> years), but it'd be great to have an official comment on why the discrepancy exists...

Yeah, it does kinda defeat the purpose. Looking around, it looks like sourceforge has the most up-to-date source code, but they don't get around to uploading the compiled versions there for some reason. It might also be that there seems to be a new version of vgmstream every 5 days or so, so keeping it perfectly up to date in Chipamp forever probably won't be possible. But its revisions usually only fix one or two specific files or formats, so being a little out of date isn't usually that big of an issue.

• 2 months later...
Ok, so im trying to download Chipamp from chipamp.org and everytime McAfee says it has a Trojan in it. Ive tried DL from different browsers and get the same result each time. Any help?

That's a false positive; it seems to be vio2sf.bin that causes it, for most people, which is necessary for playback of 2SF files (Nintendo DS music). At the moment, the only real alternative would be temporarily disabling virus scanning long enough to install chipamp, or whitelisting it somehow so the warning is ignored or not triggered.

One alternative would be our releasing a version that simply doesn't have 2SF support, for those affected, but it's a popular format. It might help if you could check the McAfee logs and see if it's indeed vio2sf.bin that is mentioned?

That's a false positive; it seems to be vio2sf.bin that causes it, for most people, which is necessary for playback of 2SF files (Nintendo DS music). At the moment, the only real alternative would be temporarily disabling virus scanning long enough to install chipamp, or whitelisting it somehow so the warning is ignored or not triggered.

One alternative would be our releasing a version that simply doesn't have 2SF support, for those affected, but it's a popular format. It might help if you could check the McAfee logs and see if it's indeed vio2sf.bin that is mentioned?

Ok, so I looked at my logs and heres what I found:

Detection name: Artemis!4F17AF46126E (Trojan)

File: C:\Downloads\chipamp_setup.exe.part

Process: C:\Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Process description: Firefox

And

File: C:\Downloads\chipamp_setup.exe.crdownload

Process: C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe

Process description: Microsoft Windows Search Protocol

And

File: C:\Users\Danro\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\UserData\Default\Cache\f_003414

Process: C:\Users\Danro\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Process description: Google Chrome

I hope this helps, anything else I can provide let me know. I have winamp installed and ready to go.

• 1 year later...
I didnt, instead I switched anti virus software to AVG and it works fine now. Dunno what the issue was but as long as its working im happy :D

One year later...

Is there a Mac friendly version of Chipamp? There's only a .exe version.

• 1 year later...

Chipamp 1.0 doesn't seem to work with Winamp 5.66 on 64-bit Windows 7. Winamp just hangs or dies on startup with no indication of what's going on. Safe mode works, but of course that just means it skips loading the Chipamp plugins.

Earlier tonight I had a slightly older version of Winamp installed prior, possibly 5.63 but can't say for certain, which worked perfectly.

Also, what's the status on Chipamp 1.1? It's been years since the 1.0 release, which was soon followed by a preannounced update which hasn't materialized.

It's not like they're going to proactively seek out any Winamp plugins hosted elsewhere and force them to be removed you know. Sure the site's going down on the 20th, but that doesn't mean Chipamp here needs to be hurried up. It'll be fine and it'll work fine for many years to come, regardless of whether or not Winamp's site is still up.

Chipamp 1.0 doesn't seem to work with Winamp 5.66 on 64-bit Windows 7. Winamp just hangs or dies on startup with no indication of what's going on. Safe mode works, but of course that just means it skips loading the Chipamp plugins.

Earlier tonight I had a slightly older version of Winamp installed prior, possibly 5.63 but can't say for certain, which worked perfectly.

Also, what's the status on Chipamp 1.1? It's been years since the 1.0 release, which was soon followed by a preannounced update which hasn't materialized.

Yes, please update Chipamp to be compatible with the final version of Winamp. It causes Winamp to crash on startup presently.