OCR02150 - Return All Robots! "Quicksilver"

djpretzel

One of my favorite RAR! remixes; I've always loved Radiowar's style, and was really hoping he'd participate in the contest. Something about his beats and synths reminds me of artists like Zero 7 and Massive Attack, two of my favorite downtempo electronica artists. They really suit the icy source tune perfectly, and if we ever do an expansion or sequel, I want this one *ingame* :)

Gorgeous epiano sample opens up this shifting and moody remix. Reminds me of some of Akira Yamaoka's work with Silent Hill 3 and 4, except much more outwardly relaxed. Production is very clean for the majority of the song. I'm loving the drums, and the layers of instruments work well. One thing I really dig is the deliberate degradation of some of the samples, reminiscent of Boards of Canada's work. There are a few spots where it feels like the samples border on fighting for frequencies but it doesn't get messy.

Great job, Radiowar.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Oh, man, you can really get an icy atmospheric feel off of this one, especially in the intro. That beat is nice and solid, and the ambiance of this track is spectacular. It may be a bit more upbeat than a soundscape, but it's still chill enough to relax to and you can get a lot of peace out of this tune. Awesome work on this ReMix.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

A very sterile sound. The instrumentation reminds me of Boards of Canada, but whereas their music is like small respites or vaults in a strange incomprehensible world, this song is like someone polished that world into a finite mathematical shape and left it hanging in chilly stasis.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02150 - Return All Robots! "Quicksilver"