OCR02160 - Armored Core: Nexus "Hyper Monkey Likes the Dancefloor"

djpretzel

Amazing! I'm looking for a job and I throw on the album, all of the sudden my head starts moving back and forth to a new beat. I'm really getting into it, and boom! It's this very one posted here. Hats off to the AnSo and everyone else on the album. You've made being unemployed, and finding that no one wanting to hire a .NET programmer enjoyable! Now that is a feat.

Edit: I actually got a job offer shortly after posting this. I credit Matthias for this turn of events! Also, this mix and its incredible funky bass rocking all the way throughout. If you bob your head while listening to this, you too may experience 1) gainful employment, 2) happy experiences with the opposite sex, 3) happy experiences with the same sex, 4) be a better person.

• 10 months later...

Great bass line, synths, and beat. I think Deia's vocal lines could have been projected a lot more, as they feel a little too airy for most of the mood, and feel a little overpowered. I think the vocoded 'i can try' works a lot better than the previous lines, though. Overall a pretty sweet mix, with awesome filtered transitions and a high energy level.

Great bass line, synths, and beat. I think Deia's vocal lines could have been projected a lot more, as they feel a little too airy for most of the mood, and feel a little overpowered.

Gotta second that - honestly felt like the weakest part of the mix was the vocals, just because of how - to steal OA's word - airy they were in a lot of places when compared with the rest of the track. It's still definitely good stuff, though - awesome synths and bass, and a beat that makes it next to impossible not to bob your head. Or your foot. Or your finger. Or something.

Personally, I am disagreeing with this "airy vocal" stance. In the original they already had an airy presence albeit within a drum'n'bass style setting, so I feel cool with the type of presence being given in this track as well.

As for this track, progression-wise it stays very safe towards the source material, and lyrically so do the vocals for that matter (again, like with "We Can See No.373" it's no deal breaker), but there's been enough done towards the writing in the background and the light vocaloid-like presence starting at 1:45 to really make it stand out from the original.

I had no idea that the guitars and bass were recorded live (something that I acknowledged that Mattias had done in the past with his early PRC submissions), but hearing them back I now certainly can't imagine the track without their presence. I even thought when I first heard it the bass - which I thought was a synth one with a ridiculous amount of wah-achieving envelope filters - was one of the key elements that really managed to add some flow, and it makes it all the more sweeter to know that it's a live instrument too. Excellent stuff!

Aside from a little source conservation, I felt that this mix is very close to perfection, and at the time was a great way to be introduced to Mattias's Armored Core arrangements. And with Deia's airy presence complimenting the atmosphere really well, this track is definitely something that should be taken pride over. Nice work you two! :)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02160 - Armored Core: Nexus "Hyper Monkey Likes the Dancefloor"