OCR02298 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'where threads connect'

DragonAvenger

while i'm setting the record for most submission emails for a single remix, i wasn't too sure if the panel had judged my chrono trigger "where threads connect" remix that i subbed back in december 2010. if that's the case, i'm sure it will receive a no (resub) as it stands so i would liek to update my submission with a much cleaner approach to the production on the violin. if that's cool with y'all.

i'm not sure that i acknowledged chris|amaterasu's contributions properly. he did an amazing job both interpreting and adapting the melody to violin so i wanted to make sure that he is credited when the mix is posted. thanks!

some words from chris, "It was great fun mixing synth and acoustic elements, and whilst melody focused more on the journey through time, I tried to complement that with a melody that had both intensity and grace. I hope you enjoy our contribution =)"

thanks,

melody

contact info:

melody

peter kim

www.youtube.com/xrisingforcex

submission info:

Chrono Trigger

Epoch

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QDybqj8Zw

my inspiration for this piece was to evoke the actual act of travelling in the epoch and make the listener perceive the experience from a first-person perspective. i wanted to illustrate the actual journey into the fabric of time, in a rendered-silent-by-the-awe-of-it-all sort of way. this is opposed to associating the song with its original function, as overworld map bgm, and challenging the listener to always look past surface values and really contemplate the core of a song.

feel free to keep the link up when it gets rejected

------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QDybqj8Zw

It starts out wonderfully with good source use, a cool arrangement style, and a really nice performance.

I think the soundscape is really nice, though the backing synths seems slightly loud; I think bringing them down just a touch (2-3db) would make things gel a little better. It's definitely not a dealbreaker, but would be a little more balanced, and you could hear the nuances of the melody slightly better.

The arrangement slowly tapers off into more liberal territory, but it all feels natural and keeps the chord progression going, and just simply evolves into a shifting pattern. It creates a pretty cool, hypnotic effect. One thing that was strange to me at 4:04 was 2 guitar notes, and then nothing. Somewhat strange choice there, but it didn't really jump out to me as a detraction to the track.

Overall I really enjoyed this. I think the synths could be brought down slightly, but I am definitely ok with this passing as-is.

Yes

I love how this starts out; you really nailed the soundscape and the arrangement is very nicely personalized. While it gets more liberal as the song goes, there is still plenty of returns to the melody to keep things on track. Other judges might call this one a little short on source, but I think it succeeds in keeping the source in mind.

I will agree with Andrew that right now the leads are being a little crowded by the backing synths, and that overall they could be brought down a little. This could go into (conditional) territory for it, but I think it could also be ok as is.

Really fun listen.

YES

• 1 month later...

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games, but I had forgotten that the original song had a B-section because I'm usually not flying around that long in-game. This song sounded really liberal to me until I went back to hear the original.

This is a great arrangement - peppy and forward-moving but understated and thoughtful as well. It's a great mix of moods that hits emotional territory that doesn't get mined much.

The only failings this song has is in the mixing but they aren't major. The viola(?) sounds a little heavy on the lows and doesn't need to, it just eats up space that is already somewhat crowded there. The synths in the B-section should also have been taken down a little. I hear some light clipping or distortion around 4:08 and again at 4:27, it'd be great to clean those things up before we post this.

YES

• 3 weeks later...
while i'm setting the record for most submission emails for a single remix, i wasn't too sure if the panel had judged my chrono trigger "where threads connect" remix that i subbed back in december 2010. if that's the case, i'm sure it will receive a no (resub) as it stands so i would liek to update my submission with a much cleaner approach to the production on the violin. if that's cool with y'all.

link: http://tindeck.com/listen/vqlt

thanks,

melody

In the box today.

• 1 month later...

this is probably one of my favorite Chrono Trigger remixes; I remember being amazed by this even as just a wip. really dynamic arrangement that kinda reminds me of some of Shnabubula's original work. the live violin was a nice touch. it does get a little liberal in regards to the source, but doesn't stray too far.

no issues here, this is pretty visionary stuff imo. :)

YES