Tales of Graces F English Localization Confirmed!

The Dual Dragons

And how do you know if Graces is stuffed with Anime cliches?

Also, I could bring out tons of similar topics about most types of games coming from any corner of the world. So why want someone to fail because you don't like that style?

To me the Uncharted series has tons of US action movie cliche's that I cringe at, why would I wish them to fail? Makes no sense.. pretty childish if you ask me.

Also

^This

Because it's overplayed as hell. And yes, I know it's chock full of anime cliches because a) it's a Tales game and B) you can watch the damn trailer and figure it out in a heartbeat. Yes, this IS a bad thing, because the gameplay is fun but ruined by "oh, it's nothing" and "..." and all that crap that keeps me from replaying Tales of Symphonia or finishing its sequel. If there were more "American action movie" trope abusers out there, it would be a bad thing too. But seriously, playing Tales of games (honorable mention: Eternal Sonata) is just painful for me. I mean, obviously, if you enjoy it, that's great, but it seriously ruins the game for me.

Tropes aren't bad, but when that's all you have to your credit, it gets old. I don't want them to fail because I hate the game, I want them to fail so they're forced to change and try something new. I loved the original SNES Tales of Phantasia because it was really limited in that area, but every game since then has been disappointing in the dialogue department.

Looks like we're gonna have to lay down 300 bones on another console if we want a shot at this one.

...Or learn full Japanese.

Can I interest you in a copy of Tales of Graces for Wii to help you practice? I guarantee you'll know what "arigato" means by the time you're done playing.

Can I interest you in a copy of Tales of Graces for Wii to help you practice? I guarantee you'll know what "arigato" means by the time you're done playing.

I can actually understand what they're saying half of the time. I just can't read the actual text or menus for shit so whenever something isn't voiced I'm screwed. All I know is hiragana and katakana.

Also no thanks, already have one borrowed. Glad I didn't pay what Play Asia was asking. My friend probably isn't though...

Because it's overplayed as hell. And yes, I know it's chock full of anime cliches because a) it's a Tales game and B) you can watch the damn trailer and figure it out in a heartbeat. Yes, this IS a bad thing, because the gameplay is fun but ruined by "oh, it's nothing" and "..." and all that crap that keeps me from replaying Tales of Symphonia or finishing its sequel. If there were more "American action movie" trope abusers out there, it would be a bad thing too. But seriously, playing Tales of games (honorable mention: Eternal Sonata) is just painful for me. I mean, obviously, if you enjoy it, that's great, but it seriously ruins the game for me.

Tropes aren't bad, but when that's all you have to your credit, it gets old. I don't want them to fail because I hate the game, I want them to fail so they're forced to change and try something new. I loved the original SNES Tales of Phantasia because it was really limited in that area, but every game since then has been disappointing in the dialogue department.

Well, I'll have to disagree with you on it always being cliche. Luke Von Fabre from Abyss, his developement and the inclusion of Asch is ONE of many Tales examples of being very far from cliche in my opinion.

Also Yuri from Vesperia, what is cliche about him? I think his persona is unique and the way he handles the situations that occur throughout the game is very unique and you never know where you got him.

Just because they INTRODUCE something as cliche, I'd have to say that they are very good at taking it far from the first impression and develop it into something truly unique with depth.

I mean come on, like Dragon Age 2.. lol.. I watched the trailer for it, they narrate about the one and only CHAMPION! The one who can save us all!!

And Mass Effect 2 babble on about them needing a LEADER to save the universe basically, should I ignore playing these titles because the trailers have cliche elements? Hell no, I want to dive into it and see what's REALLY underneath it all. I never base something solely on some trailer, oh hell no.

Well, I'll have to disagree with you on it always being cliche. Luke Von Fabre from Abyss, his developement and the inclusion of Asch is ONE of many Tales examples of being very far from cliche in my opinion.

Also Yuri from Vesperia, what is cliche about him? I think his persona is unique and the way he handles the situations that occur throughout the game is very unique and you never know where you got him.

Just because they INTRODUCE something as cliche, I'd have to say that they are very good at taking it far from the first impression and develop it into something truly unique with depth.

I mean come on, like Dragon Age 2.. lol.. I watched the trailer for it, they narrate about the one and only CHAMPION! The one who can save us all!!

And Mass Effect 2 babble on about them needing a LEADER to save the universe basically, should I ignore playing these titles because the trailers have cliche elements? Hell no, I want to dive into it and see what's REALLY underneath it all. I never base something solely on some trailer, oh hell no.

I'm not talking about introductions or trailers, I'm talking about completing Tales of Symphonia (twice!) and playing about 20 hours into its sequel. I'm talking about full experiences, playing through the whole game.

I am NOT trying to say everyone else should be as bothered by this like it bothers me, I just find it the most grating thing about the series... I like Tales of games, I really do, but the anime cliche dialogue is seriously one of the few things holding back the series in my opinion. The battles are great, the plots are... good enough for a JRPG (plot is an excuse to go dungeon-diving and kill stuff), but man, the characters and their dialogue just pain me.

I know it's an opinion, and I don't expect everyone to share it, and I respect that most people here enjoy the dialogue. But here, let me ask this: if they kept the anime style and almost all of the dialogue but cut out all the "Oh, it's nothing"s and "..." parts, would you be okay with that?

luke von fabre is a very typical anime game character and if you believe otherwise than you probably haven't actually watched very much anime or played very many video games

and even if you haven't luke von fabre is basically zelos from tales of symphonia except also with retrograde amnesia thrown in there - which is probably literally the most cliche thing in the whole world - and a mysterious evil clone brother thing which is also pretty high up there on the list of most overused cliches

the only tales game that even came close to not being cliched is tales of vesperia which is really saying something because the cliches in that game are just falling all over each other

I'm not talking about introductions or trailers, I'm talking about completing Tales of Symphonia (twice!) and playing about 20 hours into its sequel. I'm talking about full experiences, playing through the whole game.

I am NOT trying to say everyone else should be as bothered by this like it bothers me, I just find it the most grating thing about the series... I like Tales of games, I really do, but the anime cliche dialogue is seriously one of the few things holding back the series in my opinion. The battles are great, the plots are... good enough for a JRPG (plot is an excuse to go dungeon-diving and kill stuff), but man, the characters and their dialogue just pain me.

I know it's an opinion, and I don't expect everyone to share it, and I respect that most people here enjoy the dialogue. But here, let me ask this: if they kept the anime style and almost all of the dialogue but cut out all the "Oh, it's nothing"s and "..." parts, would you be okay with that?

Well, I would be stupid if I said Tales don't have cliches lol So I can't fight you based on some support I have for the Tales team and I do feel you on the: "Oh, it's nothing"s and "..." parts.. I hate that as well. But generally Tales games give me a complete experience few games do and I've enjoyed most of them and I always get lost in their worlds, so as you stated it's very opinionated. And if you don't want to play the game, I fully understand, hell I feel many similar emotions towards US RPG's myself.

So yeah, Tales of Graces F has been announced!!! YEAH!

Not gonna let this thread die that fast, oh no noes..

Love the Tales series, hopefully we'll get Tales of Xillia after Tales of Graces F sells 8 million copies, topping the sales of Red Dead Redemption. :<

Hey I'm just hoping Graces F gets down here to Australia. We seldom get any Tales games here.