DragonAvenger

OA said to sub this today... :)

Your ReMixer name: Brandon Strader

Your real name: Brandon E. Strader

Your website: www.bstrader.net

Your userid: 3123

--> FF1 PROJECT <--

LINK:

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy I (NES, GBA)

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Church, Main Theme

Nobuo Uematsu

CHURCH (GBA)

MAIN THEME (NES)

My own comments on this... I made it in about 4 or 5 hours after Benjamin "Birdo Egg Shooter" Briggs dropped Church because he didn't like it. I started with Church, discovered that the first part of Main Theme used the same key progression (C Major, G Major, D Minor, A Minor) so I threw on Main Theme for the ending. This song is named and the intro is in tribute to the band Camel.

0:00 - 0:36 = Organ fade-in intro, the source melody begins to play with max reverb then fades in volume until the reverb lowers to a normal amount and the volume is normalized

0:36 - 1:33 = Main melody / key progression from the source plays twice, second time with accompanying Mellotron Choir (much love for the mellotrons)

1:34 - 2:09 = The second part of the Church source, I had some trouble picking out the chords here, but you can hear the source prominently played on the piano. Much love for the Mellotron strings. <3

2:10 - END = Song finishes off with the lead melody and chord progression from MAIN THEME, and ends with solo piano/bass of Main Theme, with a tiny nod towards Dream Theater in the final couple notes.

There's no "blistering solo section", but I really love this kind of laid back bluesy vibe, and it's not meant to jump out and stab you in the face with its movements. I think it's very lovely, the middle section is a bit dark due to the chord changes but I've always liked the darker parts, especially in ballads, to stir that type of emotion in people. Yeah, Benjamin "The Button" Briggs, or as djp nicely called him, BB, dropped Church but he's still making Town for the FF1 project. This song wouldn't exist if he had finished Church. :3

---------------------

Super laid back, which fits both themes quite nicely. I like that this is a more personal mix than trying to go gung ho metal, or whatever. I think you have a niche in this style that works pretty well for you. Arrangement works nicely for me.

I'm not too sold on the mellotron stuff (choir has a bit of a slow attack, strings are kinda meh to me), but it's no dealbreaker here. The drumwork throughout is pretty nice, and 1:33 sticks out as really working well, although the piano could be just a touch louder.

I like it.

YES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Contrary to what Deia said, 1:33 was a weak section for me - the drum pattern was too random, and the piano was covered by the other instruments and didn't make for a good lead because of it. The mixing isn't that great overall and you've got conflicting frequencies (Mellotron strings and piano), dryness, and volume imbalance. Nothing major individually, but a lot of things that add up.

Apart from that, I was liking this a lot. The timing is a slight issue here, like it has been on some of your other subs, but the looseness was a little bit charming and made this feel kind of folky. Yeah, I'll go ahead and pass this, but it's a very close call and I wouldn't be surprised if you get some NO votes on this.

YES (borderline)

• 1 month later...

nice intro, I think the guitar could have been a little more upfront, and there's one chord in the intro (the last beat of the measure at :20) that just strikes me as ugly every time I hear it.. I don't think the bass needed to move there. some evolution in the static choir and string sounds would have given this more life, but they sit nicely under the array of real instrumentation. I was digging the performances and the timing, while noticeable at points, wasn't as problematic as in some of your other subs and lends itself to the style. didn't get too crazy with the arrangement, but the adaptation and execution was strong, imo. nice job.

YES