OCR01298 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Predetermination' *FT*

zircon

This is from a few months back. Really great stuff from Unknown (aka Tyler Heath).

This is a song I originally arranged for the CT Movie Soundtrack Project audition, but decided to release it publicly as well (due to length issues it was discarded from the audition). Orchestral with some ethnic percussion underneath - hopefully this is a little better than previous submissions.

(also, I guess you know my username/realname/website/etc)

In case you are not familiar with the CT soundtrack, this is a remix of the main theme of the game, "Chrono Trigger" (track 2 on the RSN from this site).

this is a YES

great arrangement. Everything comes together quite well. The dynamics are masterful, the instrumentation is arranged perfectly to fit the mood, and the harmonic alterations made to the original are subtle yet smart enough to make the song profoundly emotional. Great work.

My biggest complaint is some of the mixing is a bit unbalanced, the lead brass could be more present.

oh well.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Chrono Trigger" (ct-1-02a.spc & ct-1-02b.spc)

Good feel here, though I also felt the melodic instruments should have been a bit more prominent relative to the percussion and so-forth.

I don't care for Chrono's Theme myself, and I've personally heard more engaging remixes of the theme, but the arrangement was nice. Nice work on the expanding the feel of the more cover-style sections as well as the more liberal material, Ty. Not much else to say here, so Dave will do the work! Sorry about it falling through.

4:20? Are you stealing ideas from weed?

YES

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Ty's original work, but his remixes have also been consistently good over the years, and show a real growth in his ability as a musician. This remix in particular I think is his best work yet. The arrangement is absolutely superb - VERY nice usage of tempo changes, variation, bridges, and original sections, among other things. There is also a great structure present that keeps the listener interested with plenty of changes to dynamics and layering. At first, I felt that the climax might have arrived too soon in the piece, but on further listens, I found that I actually like the creative approach Ty took with the middle to ending passages. It's not what one would expect from a dramatic orchestral piece, but it's well-executed and really works.

I'm particularly fond of the instrumentation as well, as it incorporates plenty of different melodic and percussive instruments, not just focusing on the standard orchestral pallette. While the instrument samples themselves aren't as convincing as those used in, say, "The Frontier", I'm tempted to say that Ty has used his free tools better than most people I know use their expensive multi-DVD libraries. Good use of automation (tempo/dynamics), pitch bends, swing, harmony, unison, and effects really brings the mediocre samples to life. If I had to give any criticism of the production values in the mix, it might be that there could have been a slightly stronger high end to make the strings and brass instruments brighter, and the MP3 could have been encoded in VBR, but this is just nitpicking.

At least on these headphones and speakers, I don't hear any problems with the dynamic level of the melody instruments. I find the percussive and harmony work to be complex and interesting enough to merit a slightly different balance than you might otherwise expect from an orchestral piece.

Anyway, a resounding YES from me.

this should be approved already.

it has plenty of arrangement, variation and is well executed in all facets.

i usually spend more space/time discussing things that are borderline and this isn't. it also is no surprise to me that the work is inclusive and encompassing in terms of the connection between title, source material and the profound effect the piece has on the listener when beholding all those things at once. predertimination is not simply a title but a part of this piece.

this is nearly a no-brainer.

good work

YES