When listening to OCR

Skinner3D

:) What media players do people use to listen to the songs from this site when playing them on their computers?

Is there a good EQ setting to get the most out of these songs? I know that varies from person to person and from song to song, but is there at least a midline?

I use WMP with a 3 speaker system.

:) What media players do people use to listen to the songs from this site when playing them on their computers?

Is there a good EQ setting to get the most out of these songs? I know that varies from person to person and from song to song, but is there at least a midline?

I use WMP with a 3 speaker system.

I'd say the best EQ setting (unless you have cruddy speakers) is none! If anything boost the bass a bit. Or just do the whole midrange scoop for hi-fir.

I use Winamp, but I used to use Foobar2000.

Happy hunting!

I have a 4.1 (the bass is like, bigger than all the speakers combined. I can make the monitors on my desk move when it's up all the way), but I put the left and right ones together so I get more stereo than surround (nothing I do requires anything more than stereo anyways, do fuck it).

As for software, Winamp is perfectly fine. It's not like there are any real differences between programs.

I also have some Sennheiser headphones I use occasionally, but that's more for when I need to keep things quiet.

TDon't use an EQ on the songs.

The artist mixed and produced something a certain way, and you should try to listen to it how they made it rather than altering it.

Only EQ to compensate for bad frequency response on a system. (really bad bass response on speakers = you enhance the bass)

Perhaps in a perfect world. That's just such a dogmatic response. Firstly everyone's listening systems are different and anyone who owns more than one pair of headphones will have the "wow, this song sucks on this pair" effect.

Secondly, whilst trying to keep the EQ all perfect is preferable whilst mixing, the listener has the joys of being able to do what the hell they like. If you want more bass, turn your subwoofer way up. Grating high frequencies? Trim the high EQ. Heck, even the WOW setting on some media players and headphones - go for it if YOU like it.

I dunno, songs are to be enjoyed, not necessarily clinically analysed.

Don't use an EQ on the songs.

The artist mixed and produced something a certain way, and you should try to listen to it how they made it rather than altering it.

Only EQ to compensate for bad frequency response on a system. (really bad bass response on speakers = you enhance the bass)

I turn my subwoofer all the way up just to piss people like you off :tomatoface:

Funnily enough, all of my neighbors and roommates and anyone in a 500 yard vicinity of my house seem to hate me. Go figure.

Perhaps in a perfect world. That's just such a dogmatic response. Firstly everyone's listening systems are different and anyone who owns more than one pair of headphones will have the "wow, this song sucks on this pair" effect.

Secondly, whilst trying to keep the EQ all perfect is preferable whilst mixing, the listener has the joys of being able to do what the hell they like. If you want more bass, turn your subwoofer way up. Grating high frequencies? Trim the high EQ. Heck, even the WOW setting on some media players and headphones - go for it if YOU like it.

I dunno, songs are to be enjoyed, not necessarily clinically analysed.

Hmm, I gotta say I can see both points you and Neblix make but you are right that you can pretty much do what you like with tracks in your library.

What I will say is that if you end up going to far into EQing and WOW effects, it'll sound good for some songs and bad for others, regardless of your headphones/speakers so unless you want to end up changing the EQing for every song in your Itunes/winamp whatever its better to leave it alone.

If everyone owned a flat monitoring system, this would be ideal, but that's far from realistic. My monitors at home are fine, but the generic computer speakers at work favor greatly from a turn up on the tone knob (which typically raises the highs).

This has some some truth, but like boosting frequencies from a recording, you can't boost what isn't there in the first place (due to a bad recording, microphone choice, etc.). Likewise, you can't boost frequencies the speakers just can't reproduce.

I use Winamp and iTunes with no probs. To be honest, I haven't really compared the sonic quality of different players, but it seems like they are all pretty uniformly sound.