OCR01301 - Shining in the Darkness "Down in the Dungeon Just Creatures and Me"

djpretzel

Very slick guitar playing. Me gusta mucho. This mix definitely has a strong 'deth rock vibe, as Zyko points out. However, I don't know how strong the source material is here. There's nothing TOO catchy about the song; the focus is more on the performance and production here, rather than being something super-hummable. Which is fine, considering the genre.

Anyways...that is a REALLY cool ending. I likey.

8.4/10

Wow......I remeber this game with fond memories and a huge bit of nostalgia. Interesting remix that shows promise I must say. I would love for more remixers to have a look at this game and make some good remixex of the music from it.....so if I PLEAD will anyone feel uf to the challenge?

Good work.....keep it up

Man, this is awesome. You know when your only real gripe is that it's too short and you want more that it's probably pretty good. But this sucker REALLY delivers.

The initial break into the heavy stuff at 0:11 is also a little awkward, but is easily overlooked because the rest is so good. The bass is particularly inspired, the solo in the middle would make goat blush, and the organs at 1:43 are a very fitting touch. The oldschool ending was a nice contrast to the rest of the song; this is a mix that really shows off the mixer's skill.

I played this game all the way through three or four times and maxed out my guys to level 99 the last time around... and you can beat it on like level 40 or so. So, needless to say I LOVE this and am so fucking glad somebody (other than GMF, kudos to him) finally did a remix from SitD. Thanks, Taika.

Aside from some ridiculous compression on the occasionally lacerating, repetitive drums and overall muddiness on the low-end, this works well. The guitar playing is solid, with a great solo in the middle, and there's a lot of little cool ideas like the organ break and key change at the end that give this more momentum. Not a phenomenal mix overall, but the little touches and all-around solid arrangement make it a more pleasing listen. The last ten seconds is cool too...

00:00 - 00:23 - Good solid intro that gets fleshed out well.

00:23 Main Melody kicks in. There's enough variation in the playing to keep the listener jamming well.

1:00 The second phrase, the rhythem guitar takes over and the drums come up. Well driven. Waiting for the expected return of the lead guitar.

1:21 TRAIN WRECK!!!! Van Halen crawls out of the overdriven amplifier and screams out a hyped out solo. Not a bad solo, but it kind of shocks the listener.

1:43 - Church organ?

2:03 - Fades into main melody with coda into a march beat played on the open hi-hat?

Not bad when listened on the whole. A good piece that was well engineered. The heavy metal influence is definately in effect.

85/100

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Listening to my song couple months after recording it, the drums usually stick out in a bad way (but hey, it's casio drums, feel free enlighten my way to suberb drumkits) and there's also some other issues.

However, the flaws become very minor using one listening instruction.

PLAY IT LOUD!!

LOUD!!

If your neighbors can't hear the intro,

IT'S NOT LOUD ENOUGH!

Using this advice keeps you too busy headbangin' to get all technical (beer helps too)

Yeah, and title is infact from the Queen song, which I thought I quoted correctly (which I didn't)

-Taika

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Lead tone was a bit thin, and there were some rough spots, but it was pretty fun and I do think that the suggestion of extreme volume and copious amounts of beer would make this sound pretty awesome.

Solo was more just a straight-up guitar wank rather than a nicely composed lead, but I think it works on a gut level. It's intense at least.

Good source selection, I dig it; not a perfect mix, but it's charming and fun, and would be good for a post-sporting event party.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01301 - Shining in the Darkness "Down in the Dungeon Just Creatures and Me"