OCR00521 - River City Ransom "River City Robot"

orkybash

River City Ransom 'River City Robot'

Personally, I've never played RCR, so I never really got why the music was requested so often. Now I understand why, if po's rendition is any indication. Kinda minimalistic, but artfully so. po definitely fills a jazz/hip hop niche here, which is good cause it's a style not many remixers take on. Coulda done without the several repetitive measures of drums and bass, but overall this works well. Recommended.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

This is a great song for a rap...(not River City Rap though). I like it alot, but the melody is covered very minimalistically. There was alot more of a melody in the original track. This just covers a tenth of the main melody.

Although, the beat is killer, the patches are excellent, the bass will kick your arse, but it just needs alot more to it. If there's a version of this instrumental without any rap lyrics overtop, this will be a highly recomended song.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So funky.

So, so funky.

Great groove on this. And historically, this is what it all comes back to for po. So many of his tracks feature a snippit of this groove in some form or another. Sort of like Totaka's Song to Nintendo games, this track seems to have influenced po's work dramatically.

That said, this is probably the weakest of his arrangements in that it's barely there, but I love it. I think if po were to do this now, there'd be madcat soloing over the thing, which would rock, because that's how the original was - a melody with a bunch of soloing.

Either way, this piece is a great benchmark in po's repertoire. Definitely worth checking out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The intro is a little to slow to build up; it takes 1:16 before it really "gets going". Even then, the main melody is pretty overshadowed by the everything else, which is fairly repetitive.

It does have a nice urban/techno beat and has potential, but in the end, it wasn't fully exercised.

Where's the rap?

Yeah, it's basically like a vocal-less rap song, which is weird.

I've only heard po's more recent stuff, so it's kind of cool to be able to compare this blast from the past to songs posted only a month ago. He's obviously come a long way. :P This is a little too simple but it does have a hypnotic repetitiveness to it that distills the essence of the source. Would have been awesome to hear some vocals or a lead over that.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Samples are terrible all around. It sounds a bit empty too, but part of that might be the samples. The main thrust of the mix could've started much earlier - it took more than 1:15 for something to develop. It also doesn't seem to really go places either, just maintaining the same steady and unchanging progress through the song. Overall this is kinda bleh to me.

• 1 year later...

If this were bitcrushed just a little more, I would have been super-happy. Would have been more robotic sounding and changed it from sounding coincidentally kinda like a robot to deliberately definitely like a robot. Still, I'm liking the stiff semi-funk with the slow build, like the robots are out on the streets in the wrong part of town looking for a good time. Not familiar too much with the source but on its own merits, this doesn't age as bad as others because of the intended sound.

Could have had a bit more development and attention to the "robot sound" (really, I was secretly hoping for a ripoff of Daft Punk's ROBOT ROCK), but I still kinda liked it. Guilty pleasure, you could say.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00521 - River City Ransom "River City Robot"