I think my CPU is busted.

Nabeel Ansari

segerg.png

This is before and after I blew into the CPU vent. Before is also with power saver battery options on, after is with High Performance on. Makes sense, I guess, EXCEPT FOR THE EFFIN TEMPERATURES? Did blowing into the vent really make 30 degrees difference even when I turned on High Performance battery settings on afterwards?

Laptop processor, btw.

Well I had this whole thing typed out saying why running 1ghz higher on both cores will lead to a 30C increase in temp, but I just noticed it's a 30C decrease.

I would say you probably had a brick of dust in your fan preventing it from spinning efficiently or even at all. My friend dropped his temps like 40C in his desktop by dusting his case out.

Judging by how Intel processors work, I'm assuming Athlons do the same thing. When the CPU is overheating, it will reduce its CPU speed to compensate, which makes perfect sense from the screenshots you provided. So even at a lower clock speed, it was getting high temperatures. Once you cleared out the vents, airflow increased, lowering the temperature, and the CPU was able to work at a higher speed.

Rule of thumb, especially for laptops: always make sure those vents are free of dust and debris.

yeah, his processor has speedstep, so it likely stepped down when his fan wasn't running.

buy a can of air and blow that shitter out. otherwise, mail it to me, and i'll replace the fan with something we have at work.

Don't think that'll be necessary; I have some compressed air thing lying around somewhere. I'll also be building a new computer when summer hits (if I maintain my GPA) and since the fan will be more accessible then, (that'll be a desktop I build myself, I'm currently on a Compaq 515 laptop) there's no need to shell out money for some upgrades to this thing.

Thanks for the offer, though. :D