OCR01322 - *YES* Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 & 3 'Legend of the Snake'

djpretzel

Sorry, the last file submit was abit large. I've cut down the bitrate on this one.

Remixer Name: Reu

Email: Reuy@email.com

Userid on forums: Can't find the number...

Name of game remix: Metal Gear Solid I-III

Name of song based on: Main Themes

Name of Remix: Legend of the Snake

Blurb: This was an experiment to try and emulate roughly a mix of orchestral and digital beat arrangements as well as incorporate elements of both western new age and oriental new age together. Something new to me but what I've always admired in Harry Gregson William's arrangements.

Really had fun with some of my new drums XD.

/endblurb

Here's the download link:

pretty good. i enjoyed it. the mix unfolds well, it's well-paced, it keeps moving while maintaining plenty of dynamic experiementation.

there are some issues; the percussion is often too strong..the leads are often too quiet, and the strings often sound weak next to the drums.

the composition is good, nothing mind-blowing, but i think this is clearly OCR material.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Good effort, and one I'm familiar with after playing it on VGF44.99. Yeah, this was a mishmash of themes, although to be honest, I didn't feel as if I heard much of the MGS3 Main Theme in there. I suppose it depends where I'm looking, and hopefully Reu can give further details on how he used all 3 of the Solid series' main themes in the near future. In any case, I heard a great deal of stuff derived from MGS2's version, as well as some from MGS1. Can't really articulate it further than that, but it does pass the arrangement test.

I felt Vig's comments on the issues with the piece were excellent and on the mark per his usual:

the percussion is often too strong..the leads are often too quiet, and the strings often sound weak next to the drums
Great summation of where basic improvements could/should have been made in order to strengthen the performance.

Reading some of the feedback at VGMix about the piece, I felt Gwilym & H the 8th's comments on the piece being poor for being a "weaker" orchestrated version of already orchestrated originals was off-base. I don't see a substantiated point in essentially saying "you can't remix a track this way" or "this'll never sound as good as the original". I liked mv's very critical yet very fair & detailed assessment of the track much more.

People are certainly open to those types of opinions, but it's misguided to say you can't or shouldn't bother attempting to rearrange a cinematic-styled original in a similar genre. As for comparing this to the sheer power of the originals, anyone should obviously be able to tell that Reu wasn't simply going for a bombastic, heavy-handed approach here, even during the tenser moments of the track. His interpretation of the themes offers a calmer, lighter feel overall, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

There were definitely some areas in the track where the instrumentation could have been stronger, and where the arrangement could have offered some more unique-sounding ideas, but otherwise this was a very well-made offering. Solid work from Reuben as usual. He's building up quite the catalog here.

YES

The first thing I notice about this track is the atmosphere. It's got mood, it's got direction. It knows what it's doing. It's got a full, developed orchestration, and constantly moves into new sonic territory.

The percussion is decently arranged, although it does sound somewhat mechanical. However, this is but one nitpick among a very well done track.

Direct post material, IMO.

YES

-D

Great stuff. Reu's style is pretty apparent. A lot of his mixes have a signature sound. A lot of people complain when that happens with mixers, but I think it's a good thing. There's nothing wrong with finding your own style and sticking with it.

I agree with vig that the percussion is too strong, but this is pretty typical of this type of music. However, I feel the percussion would have been better further back in the soundstage, it's fairly upfront placement. It's a personal taste though. I also wish the asian woodwind was louder and more upfront myself.

Good arrangement, nice varied instrumentation, very good production. Loved the ending parts in particular. Quality mix, easy YES.