Your real name : Ben Briggs

Your email address : chthonic4@hotmail.com

Your website : http://www.geocities.com/chthonicmix

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : 5670

ReMix Info

ReMix Title : Fleeting Ecstasy

Name of game(s) ReMixed : Super Mario 64

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : Wing Cap Theme

My comments : The intro isn't a rip, it's a soundfont playing made-by-ear patterns; note the panning.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/smb1.zip - Track 5 ("Invincible BGM")

http://www.zophar.net/usf/sm64usf.rar - 16 "Powerful Mario"

Yeah, I remember Ben complaining (meh) over at VGMix when Rexy gave this one a less-than-deserved score in his opinion. Good job extending the mix a bit compared to the VGMix version. I liked the chiptune/NES-style intro all the way until :13. Good old-school touch without dragging the idea out. The piano didn't have to sound quite so fake, but it's a minor point relative to the big picture.

Good handling of the Wing Cap Theme here, altering up the rhythms of the source and genuinely spicing things up. There's the telltale DarkeSword sax coming in at 1:06. Could have sounded a lil' bit smoother and a lot more realistic, but the flow was good overall and lent its sound nicely to the track.

Sweet breakdown at 1:45 dropping most of the elements out and using hand drums and some new synth combinations to keep the mix fresh. Good ideas here in terms of changing up the style.

The section starting from 2:39-3:09 dragged a little bit, especially with that generic, cheesy-sounding drumwork placed lightly in the back. Luckily things filled out a bit more at 2:54 to cover that up and get the track moving again.

Good shit in upping the energy level again at 3:10. Pretty sweet realizing you didn't touch some parts of the Wing Cap Theme until 3:25. Nice return of the tenor sax again at 3:47 after working some chill sounds with the xylophone at 3:41. The ending came a little too suddenly, and, thematically, the vox didn't really make much sense in there to close it, but otherwise things were good.

Not spicy hot in terms of samples and so forth, but pretty much everything came together nicely on the arrangement and presentation. Funky fun and whatnot. It was the strong package with well-varied, solid composition, good sound combinations, and smooth production. A great example of substance over samples, baby. Keep on improving your game, Ben, and congratulations.

YES

Pretty good arrangement. Some parts strike me as a bit gimmicky, like the intro. I'd say on the whole it's pretty stylish. There are some fairly solid displays of competency here, like the gated synths that sit well in the mix. The whole mix is put together fairly well too. Instrumentation throughout it is also well chosen. I particularly like the percussive sections. By the end some sections tended to drag on a bit, although I liked the actual ending section with the vibe/marimba and sax.

This doesn't take too many chances, it's pretty straightforward, by the same token there's not much wrong in this mix either. I'd say it's a nice mix and a passable one at that. Nice work.

Yes