Do -you- 100% games?

Cinderwild

I have a bit of an OCD tic, so I'm all about the 100% in general. If there are collectibles to be collected or unlocks to be unlocked, I'll do my very best to grab them. For example, I'm playing through Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii right now. (I'd played the first two games on GC a few years ago.) I played through the first game on Normal difficulty and realized I'd missed a limited-time creature scan (dear lord I hate those) by the end...so I proceeded to restart the game on Veteran at the same time I was also going through MP2 on Normal. And now that I've finished all three, I'm going through 2 on Veteran, plan to move on to 3, and then plan to replay all three someday on Hypermode. Yup.

Also, I'm a total achievement whore. So long as it's not next-to-impossible, I'll do my best to check every single one of them off. (And yes, that meant doing the gnome thing in HL2: Episode 2.) To be honest, though, I don't usually view it as work. I'm not the type who goes out and buys many newly-released games; instead, I have my old favorites that I like to revisit time and again, and I'll gradually add to those a few years after a game's released. In that light, so long as a game's good, replaying it to check off everything is usually an enjoyable experience to me.

If the achievements are too hard, fuck em, they aint worth doing.

Prime examples of Fuck Em achievements:

Finish and 5-Star all songs on Expert - DJ Hero - 200 G

100000 Kills - Gears of War 2 - 20 G

Obtain 100% in Single Player - Red Dead Redemption - 100 G

The Biggest offender of them all.

The Stupidestly Hard Achievement that counts for nothing.

Get all other Achievements - Street Fighter 4 - 0 G

None

Niheel

Nada

Best troll ever Capcom.

I applaude you.

usually no, in fact i hate game with % i prefer raw statistic or stuff like that so you're free do what you want without carinG.

few game i completed at 100% the ps2 ace combat series, fallout 3 (payed a visit to pretty much everywhere + unique weapon + all achievement)

game i will not complete at 100% just cause 2 :P

If I REALLY like the game, almost always. de Blob was a game I 100%-ed and I don't regret the time I spent doing it.

If it's an okay game or an enjoyable but insanely difficult game, I'll consider it if I want to play it and don't want to start a new save file or something. I won't break my neck trying to do it. Trauma Center games fall into this category (In other words, I don't try to S-rank everything - one run is good, along with surgeries I want to re-attempt).

If it's a game I am okay with, or don't like, I'll just beat the main boss/objective and call it good. If that. Mario Baseball games fall into this category.

In short, the more I like a game, the more I'll play it. If there's something I enjoy 100%-ing, I may play a sub-par game to do so, but never if it's complete torture.

I've actually decided to go BACK and finish all games I've started. I've SOMEHOW managed to live through perfecting the Tales of Monkey Island series, Trine, Demon Souls, and Resonance of Fate.

HOWEVER. I think I've found the harshest platinum trophy ever and I don't know if I'll be able to escape this game with my sanity intact. The Star Ocean 4 battle trophies are EVIL! supposedly it takes an average of 400 hours to achieve. I'm at hour 130 or so now. Un-freaking-believable!

like mistah briggs said, it all comes down to how asinine the goals are of reaching 100%, along with how long my interest stays with the game

although time is a factor too; if I know I have nothing else to do but sink an abnormal amount of time into a game, I'll probably go for 100%. case in point: first time I beat Wind Waker, I don't think I got any figurines. played it a summer or so ago, and I had the patience to get the Link & the King of Red Lions figurine.

I don't think I've 100% a game ever since I went to college, and even then I don't think I 100% that many games other than Mario or Zelda games when I was younger. I'll go through bonus dungeons if it adds more to the gameplay(like unlocking more abilities in IU or party lvl.6 in Eternal Sonata, but rarely take a game all the way to ULTIMATE completion. I've never been a fan of dumb achievements anyway.

Personally I don't usually do New Game+ either save for a game like Chrono Cross that has a few extra endings close to the beginning of the game anyway. If I liked a game enough and it wasn't mind numbingly time consuming, I'll go back to it right away like I did with Infinite Undiscovery or Metroid Other M, but apart from fighters, I tend to take breaks in between completions.

I used to be all about completing as much as I can, but not at 100%. Over the years, I've collected so many games, many unopened, that I just want to finish one so I can move onto the others. I value the storyline more than anything else, so getting the best weapons or the most trophies aren't worth it to me if it will feel like working instead of enjoying.

One time I tried to 100% Final Fantasy XI but I didn't quite make it.

It's really hard. Dhar!!

What? How do you 100% an MMO, especially FFXI?

You'd need to make XI your day job, hobby, and career to truly 100% that shit. What's that? You have an alliance of 18 players to take down a dagron? And then the thing casts Meteor XXVI on you -_-

Most merciless game ever.

Getting 100% in games has drastically changed since back in the older generation of games. For instance, consider Duck Tales 2 on the NES. To finish the game, you only had to go through the worlds, beat the bosses, and take on the terminator duck at the end of the game. However, to get 100%, you had to find all of the treasure map pieces, which tells you where the treasure is located, and then go there and beat the boss to secure the treasure. This meant you could get 75% in 45 minutes and 100% in an hour. While there are exceptions to this, this was fairly common back then, and it's why getting 100% wasn't as relevant.

Let's jump forward to the SNES and N64 eras where percentage counters became more common (see, e.g., Donkey Kong series). People then began striving for 100% completion. I remember with Banjo-Kazooie, I got every last puzzle piece, musical note, etc. in my first playthrough, which took a long time. But here's the rub: I was, like, 12. Getting 100% in a game was a fun challenge for which I had the time.

Nowadays, the coveted Platinum Trophy and its XBL equivalent are the end goals that generally signify 100% completion of a game. Gamers who grew up in the older generation probably don't achieve that 100% as often as gamers who are young now. I've personally never gotten a platinum trophy. I just don't have the time. I have a friend who's gotten several of them, and good for him, but I can't spare the 2 hours it takes to do one little task in a game just to get the trophy. When I was younger, I didn't mind constantly resetting something just to complete that one little task. Today, with very few exceptions (final star in Super Mario Galaxy 2, I'm looking at you), I just give up after one or two tries.

Here's something to consider, though. If you are older (18+), do you or do any of your friends with less disposable income tend to get more trophies/achievements than you or one of your friends with more disposable income? I'm not rich, but I have enough money that I have a relatively consistent stream of games coming in, so if I don't get 100% in a game, it doesn't matter because I'll just buy a different one later. One of my friends, however, has significantly less money than me and, consequently, fewer games, but that person finishes most of them with at least 75+ percent of the trophies.

Guest Chibi_Ma

If I'm going to 100% a game I need to be balls deep in love with it. There are too many games that need playing, I don't want to bother getting every little thing.

I used to try for 100% on games on my Sega Genesis and PS2, but now, games are so big, it's incredibly difficult to get even close to 100%. My xbox claims that I have 100% completion of Oblivion, but that's a total lie. I have all the achievements, but I have not done everything in that game, there's no way. It came out FIVE years ago, and I'm probably still not even close to 100%. (Not that I've been playing it five years straight, but I pick it up every once in awhile)

Not to keen on 100% stuff, especially if there is an achievement for it.

It's almost mocking me when it holds that platinum trophy in my face.

Actually when I found out that Armored Core: Another Age had no trophy's, at first I was sad, thinking no one would really know I have it. Then I realized that I was completely free, no real expectations of what to do in my giant oversize mech with a smorgishborg of missiles and lasers. Just like the good old days when I could screw around in my SNES game and not feel obligated to really do anything the creators of the game told me to do. Needless to say I feel great when there's no weight on my shoulders of what people think of my Gamerscore/Trophy Collection. Me and my giant mech run free.