Do -you- 100% games?

Cinderwild

I will only 100% a game if it's easy to do, and usually if it's possible to do before the credits. I have a backlog of like 25 games. I'm not about to go earn pure platinum trophies on every difficulty in Bayonetta, or do the bonus dungeon in Arc Rise Fantasia, or even get the true ending in Radiant Historia. Too much work for too little reward, especially when I can just pick up a completely new game off the pile and play that.

Eh, some games have rather lengthy or boring 100% portions, such as the Grand Theft Auto series. I try to complete as many quests as I can in most RPGs, but FPS I will only play once. Except Half-Life 2, which I don't play to beat it; I play to enjoy it.

Multiplayer FPS 100% can die in a fire.

I'm with a lot of people on this page: If the game designers put thought into making 100% completion a reasonable challenge, I'll sometimes do it. I don't know if I've ever beaten Super Metroid without first making sure to get 100%...it just seems wrong to let all those items go uncollected. The same goes for other Metroid games, Mario games (I still need to go back to Super Mario Sunshine before I'll be satisfied), and Zelda games. I made sure to unlock all the cheats in the original Goldeneye, I beat the weapons in FFVII, etc. With a lot of those older classics - and some newer Nintendo games - 100% completion is fun and rewarding.

The problem is, developers have increasingly abandoned the idea that 100% completion should be for people who want to get a little extra out of their game. Instead, 100% completion is now for people willing to treat the game like a full-time job, and trying to attain it is usually a monotonous slogfest. Why would I want to spend hundreds of hours collecting spheres in Final Fantasy X to erase the whole sphere grid, replace the spheres with better ones, and complete the whole thing with all the characters again? That's not playing a game; that's working on a grueling project. There are so many collectibles in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl that it's not even worth attempting, and I'm tired of trying to get a Danjuro in Final Fantasy XII, too. ;-)

The highest achievements in Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 games are usually in the same vein, and they're made so absurdly time-consuming to obtain that they make you feel hollow instead of proud after earning them. TVTropes has a good example:

Achievements in Xbox 360 games can be completely ridiculous. For example, Hundred Percent Completion of the Achievement list for Gears of War required you to get 10,000 kills in ranked matches to get the "Seriously..." achievement. The sequel increases the number to 100,000 but makes it much much easier by letting you get your kills in campaign mode.

It might have taken me a month or more to get all 120 stars in Super Mario 64 back in 1996, but I knew that however long it took, it was dependent on my skill. If I had been good enough, I could have done it all in a day. It's just a totally different story with the "collect one million roses" kind of achievements (World of Katamari), which actually demand an excessive time investment no matter how good you are.

Even though I rarely attain a true 100% though, I don't always stop at just "getting to the credits," either. I guess I create my own personal standards for "reasonable 100% completion." I wouldn't feel satisfied beating Mass Effect without completing all the side missions, but there's no way I'm going to play through a bazillion times to get all of the achievements (which are impossible to earn on a single playthrough). Speaking of Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 is probably one of the most reasonable modern games to get 100% completion in. Completing the loyalty missions, saving my whole crew, and completing all the side missions is just a given for me, and the only obstacles left in the way of 100% completion are relatively reasonable, e.g. beating the game on insane difficulty. I'm not actually going to DO that, but I can see why people consider it a fulfilling challenge.

In short, I think it comes down to this: I have respect for challenges that reasonably test my skill or curiosity (i.e. thoroughness while exploring)...but I don't have respect for challenges that are constructed exclusively to test my patience or amount of free time. (I wouldn't have respect for unreasonable tests of skill either though, like "complete the whole game on the hardest difficulty level without getting hit once." ;-)) This thread makes me think of the million hit combo in God of War 2...

Depends on the game/reward/content/ownership

I tend to full clear Donkey Kong Country, Metroids, Marios, Smash, Zeldas. I'm a fan of sequence breaking, too. Speed runs are more enjoyable to watch than do imo. For games like Starcraft or Diablo I typically play them to death until I feel like I've "beaten it" ...which may explain my competitiveness in fighter & rts games. I'm not interested in full comboing/clearing/perfecting Ikaruga/I Wanna be the Guy/DDR tho.

Edit: How could I forget Dragon Warrior 3? I played that on my GBA sooooo much.

There are definitely a lot of games that I like to "100%", often to the point of doing silly side things that are of little benefit just to say I did. Getting items in an RPG that I don't need just to have them for a collection? Sure, I'll do that.

When it comes to achievements, I like to try and get all of them if I feel they're reasonable and not completely excessive. I think Trine sticks out to me as a game that had some difficult, but completely reasonable achievements that I very much enjoyed getting 100% in. Braid's achievements were all easy except for the Speed Run, which makes you play the game in a completely different manner and was also a lot of fun to eventually unlock. My current game of choice, Super Meat Boy, has quite a few difficult achievements, indeed, simply finishing every level and unlocking every character can be considered one of the more difficult ones. But it also goes beyond that with some particularly ruthless achievements (no death runs for entire chapters) that I originally almost scoffed at, thinking they were impossible, but now these are probably some of my favorite achievements to work on. I've actually managed to get all but 3 of them and the feeling of accomplishment upon finally getting each one was an awesome feeling. I may also just be a masochist.

Then we have games like Torchlight, which in my opinion just had some stupid achievements, involving things like retiring characters or having x number of mods installed. What if I like my character? What if I don't want to install mods? So achievements can either be really fun, or really stupid, and I don't necessarily think having all of them is an indicator of whether or not you have truly "100%ed" a given game, it just completely depends on what said achievements want you to accomplish and how relevant it is to whatever skill the game utilizes.

You may have 100% the game, but have you ever 150-200% the game? You know, the extra challenge modes after beating the initial? Lemme see:

• Super Mario World (including the Special stages, normal stages, shortcuts, etc.)
  • Super Mario 2
  • Super Mario 3 (w/ and w/o whistle)
  • Super Mario 64 (fuck Yoshi)
  • Super Mario Kart 64
  • Rayman 2: The Great Escape (excellent game, wack ending. Gots all lums/cages/masks)
  • Super Smash Bros 64/Melee (sold Brawl before I beat it)
  • Ocarina of Time (all items)
  • Majora's Mask (all items)
  • Windwaker (all items)
  • SoulCalibur 2
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Chrono Trigger (yes, beat the New Game +)
  • Spawn (SNES) (Watched the credits and heard Malebolgia's ROFLing)
  • Castlevania Dracula X (got both Maria and Annet, killed Dracula)
  • Mario Party 2 (all mini-games and stuff)
  • Star Wars Ep 1: Racer (the second of the last four courses was GRRR)
  • Yoshi's Island
  • JSRF (secret characters, graffiti souls, etc)
  • Jet Grind Radio (^)
  • Sonic Adventure 2 (all missions, chao, etc)
  • Sonic Heroes (PAINFUL)
  • Streets of Rage 3 (secret character, boxing kangaroo: Roo)
  • Sonic 3 (+ Knuckles) (only one time)
  • Power Stone 1/2 (all items, characters, stages)
  • King of Fighters '99
  • Tekken 3/4/5
  • Marvel vs Capcom 2
  • Capcom vs SNK
  • X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
  • Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
  • Bushido Blade 2
  • Super Mario Land (beat the second challenge too)
  • Link's Awakening

Don't feel like naming any more. Not that many games, honestly. Or is it? Idk.

apparently ea didn't like the prototype they had for ME 2 so the project is in limbo.

also while it is certainly short its a game you can actually play through again and again because doing it well is soo much more fun than doing it "oh i got through the level" style

which is why its a good completion game