OCR02217 - Castlevania: Bloodlines "Crimson Twilight"

djpretzel

:smile: I think your OCRemix on this one is fantastic; I'm definitely downloading this. The only thing that felt off to me were the choir aaahs after 2:40 (listened to youtube preview). I felt that the initial volume just took away from the whole effect somewhat; the attack might have been a bit too heavy for them (imho). The way it is each one feels almost too sudden to me.:? Anyways, I still love this, and I appreciate the time and effort you put into this. Thank you. :nicework:

There's a lot of great musicianship here. Only thing i find odd is the amount of limiting kinda gives the track a sort of "pumping" feel. Gives me the same feeling as sticking q-tips in my ears. Not sure if that's normal. Im still getting the ins and outs of mixing myself. Other than that, really awesome stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Good choice of source, Dr M. I'm glad to see that the SEGA-based Castlevania side is getting some love :)

So the arrangement typically follows the source closely, but with some nice expressive guitar work and some sweet organ/string/drum work being thrown in to compliment the setting as well as a sweet transition at 1:45 it manages to show its expansions. And I got to admit the calm at 2:40 before leading into that insane wah solo was icing on the cake to me - showing a lot of Dr M's colors of a player. So we basically have an arrangement that generally has a straightforward approach but really starts diving into Dr M's character around it. Neat work.

I can't however leave this with a little criticism. I don't know if it's me though, but I can't help but notice some over-compression on the track somewhere. I think it's more noticeable on the rhythm guitars; often when they're making a presence they seem to push the mix down slightly uncomfortably.

But there is at least a plus to come out of it though - no MIDI trumpets this time :razz:

All in all, a very enjoyable track for me; be sure to keep rocking the Dwelling of Duels and sub to here every now and again; I've been quite a fan of yours over the past several years and I'm glad you're there to keep delivering :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The doc here just knows what it takes to melt your face off with quality rather than loudness, and with a source like Castlevania, he pretty much has to. This ReMix has the classic gothic idea to it in the arrangement, but the guitars drive home the absolute feeling of power. The breakdown and higher return was the extra mile of variety that makes this one of those ReMixes I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to someone. Amazing ReMix, doc.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02217 - Castlevania: Bloodlines "Crimson Twilight"