OCR01311 - Super Mario 64 "Fleeting Ecstasy"

djpretzel

Wow, although I would have never thought that this theme would be done like this, it's a good thing someone did. This peice is put together very well. Lots of change going off the pace of the theme here and there, and before it starts to get old, moves on. This is something I could put on loop all by it's lonesome and it wouldn't get old. That vocal of someone going "Yeah!" that's in this mix a few times is a nice added affect even. When it goes slow with the sax playing near the end is a nice way to end this great mix. I hope to hear more from this one.

I'm just going to paste my review of this from the WIP board because I'm a lazy bastard:

Looks like this did make it on the site after all.

I'd say the biggest thing this mix has going for it is that it takes sparse material and tries different things with it - with varying degrees of success. The scratch and vocal samples I find mildly irritating, and I don't know really why they're there in the first place. The sax solo is also completely out of the blue, and though it's sequenced interestingly, the fact that it's a sample and that it wasn't really in any sort of context makes it downright goofy.

There are some interesting effects employed after that, which work pretty well, and a breakdown takes the mix back to the melody section. The major complaint I have here is that while this mix changes up enough to make itself presentable and listenable, there is not really anything exciting or new going on in the arrangement. This would have been a great section for a little bit of deviation from the theme, but instead the synth keeps repeating the same two lines and it starts to become tiresome.

After listening to the ending (which was a neat idea sans the sax), I can tell that much effort went into making this presentable and enjoyable. While a lot of the effects aren't staggeringly original and some don't work incredibly well, there is an energy here that differentiates this from a standard mix of this type and puts it above the bar. So all in all there's room for improvement but this is not a bad effort by any means. Good work.

I don't like to pin myself down by choosing a "favorite" type of music. I'm a fan of anything good : wink: That said, this song crosses a number of borders between types, ranging from latin to synth to jazz. I can't say I love all the crossovers, but the piece overal does some really nice things.

However, it doesn't help the remixer to just say, "wow, best thing ever." So if I had to ask for an improvement, I would say that the synth gets a little heavy, and detracts from the nice latin feel of the piece.

Besides this, it is an excellent coverage of a difficult tune. Oh and kudos for putting the original at the begining. Thta brought tears of remembrance to my eyes.

Not bad. It's got quite a blend. This sounds more like house than dance just because of how the NES snare from the soundfont mixes in with the rest of the percussion. It's got that groovability while having that same repeating chord progression.

Beats are good, the sax blew me away, and the piano adds a very nice touch. It honors the roots of the original Starman theme which is what I feel some of the newer OC Remixes don't do when they deviate from the original source and are just plastered with original uneeded solos, chords, and riffs. That is why this deserves appreciation. It's great to see a mix like this one return to OCR.

Good job. :)

Wow, that was an extremely good Remix.

The NES blend really set a good attitude for the song. I extremely liked it when the guy yelled "YEAH!" just because it was pretty shaweet, and gave you the feeling of jamming. I would like to see more like this!

Well, hear more like this.

Normally, I don't like people randomly shouting things or sound effects added in. Many times it seems kinda silly or just downright stupid.

chthonic has managed to bypass this obstacle with FLYING COLORS in a way that is only matched in quality (at least from what I've heard) by the sound effect use in "McVaffeQuasi Ultimix" (Tetris). The integration of the NES theme is flawless, and the instruments used all sound great. It's particularly impressive that the NES theme and the instruments are playing side-by-side without conflicting with each other.

One of the best Mario remixes on the site. Nice work all around. :D

This is AMAZING. You've taken an overly repetitive Mario theme and breathed some new life into it. It's a good repetitive and FAR from boring, the instrumental work is beautiful, and the sound effects are bliss. This is the kinda quality all mixes should strive to achieve. Purely Awesome.

The style of this song reminds me quite a bit of Fragments of Gold by Beej. Although I can definitely see djp's point about this almost being something you'd expect from Disco Dan.

I just simply love the song at 1:20, but I definitely need to take a music theory class so I can explain in words why.

So, lacking that, I guess just about all I can say is:

Good stuff!

-Austin Spafford

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01311 - Super Mario 64 "Fleeting Ecstasy"