OCR02218 - Chaos Field "Knowing Heart, Distant Noise"

djpretzel

this is fucking great. the arrangement is awesome and the production is really clean. i think this also makes a really cool statement in defense of remixes that focus more on textural rearrangements rather than melodic/harmonic ones. i can totally hear some michael cassette in this, too (who is also awesome).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Taking into consideration that the original was already kind of minimalist in structure (albeit with more distorted synths), it may have fitted firm enough to something quite minimalist. And while I must admit it's not quite as busy as Mattias's other works, there's definitely a lot given to the backing elements like the piano intro, wobble bass and appropriate ambience work throughout. The arrangement generally feels quite straightforward for the most part, though given the nature of the source it does well enough in working with what's available and adding that twist to it.

I'm not sure about you but for some reason when playing it through the Youtube preview I sensed this sudden dryness past 2:10 that could be mistaken as elements of clipping; not sure if that may be a distractant or not, but the cut-offs here at that point give that slight uneasy conclusion. If it's not clipping, then I might as well have to say to watch for your gates at times to try and prevent that illusion. But hey, you're Mattias and I can always trust you to refine details like that. :wink:

All in all, definitely a more different piece from Mattias, and I hope you keep representing more undercovered games in future remixing endeavours :)

• 2 weeks later...

Seems difficult to dance energetically to this one. It'd go pretty well in a trendy clothing store though! :-)

I feel 'hip' and 'now' listening to this! Where's my credit card?

seriously though, it's pretty basic, but it works well and has some cool little details throughout. Not my favorite track from Mattias, but not my least favorite either. :-)

I love the crystal bell-sounding intro and the little bit of energy this brings to the darker atmosphere here. Not sure I could dance to this at all, but it's definitely a toe-tapper (or head-nodder if you prefer). It's got a fantastic beat and while some of the notes in this seem a bit too sharp, it's got a great arrangement and the production is done nicely. Great ideas with the wiggly synth and I liked the ending as well. Good ReMix here.

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02218 - Chaos Field "Knowing Heart, Distant Noise"