Spiral Knights

NeoForte

So has anyone played this yet? It's actually surprisingly fun. It's kinda like a simple PSO mixed with Zelda? I dunno but it's very charming and cute and fun to get a group together and just kill crap.

Player List:

NeoForte

Kiyobi

Lorenith (cobaltstarfire)

Jayshen (The Author)

Garianse (Garian)

Thylacine

HoopyFrood

NegimaSonic

Jovianus (Native Jovian)

Cinderwild

Edited by NeoForte

I heard about this on Ars Technica during the closed beta, they even gave away 50 keys when the article ran. I really enjoyed PSO but never had the chance to play it online so if this game is in the same vein, I might give it a shot. It's nice to see Sega supporting smaller devs, even if they aren't making the most of their own in-house groups.

Yeah I've been playing it, catch me as Lorenith if you can I guess?

If you find you can't afford the trade rates for crowns>crystal energy and don't want to use real cash to buy some, there are a few ways to help a bit.

Mainly by using less energy, the loot doors are very rarely worth it so don't bother opening them. Be wary of danger rooms, and if able let a friend revive you rather than using energy (as a general rule if you are energy reviving you shouldn't do it more than once or twice, it's more efficient to just lose all your heat and start over).

Just doing that can save you alot of energy, and that is often all the difference between finding enough crowns to trade for 100 more CE to keep playing.

Edit: It's also worth noting that you can't "friend" people as far as I'm aware without being on the same screen as them, it's like that in other OOO games as well. So if you guys all start playing you'll want to set up a meeting area to friend each other.

Edited by cobaltstarfire

I gave it a shot. You can probably figure out my screen name, if I choose to play it again.

I can see this energy thing is a real problem. I used all of it going down several levels, and I had fun with it, but... Man, I don't know how much fun I'd have with that game if the energy issue becomes a serious problem.

But I'm looking back on it and thinking that I was enjoying myself, and it wasn't as horrible of a timesink as other online games.

Edit: It's also worth noting that you can't "friend" people as far as I'm aware without being on the same screen as them, it's like that in other OOO games as well. So if you guys all start playing you'll want to set up a meeting area to friend each other.

NeoForte managed to friend me while I was offline. o.o

I guess I'll have to go poke at the wiki to figure out how to do that, cause there is no obvious way to do it. (oh I figured it out)

If you don't like the microcurrency, you may as well get used to it because OOO has found this system to work best for them in terms of player #'s and revenue over the years and it isn't going to go away. Although they may tweak the energy cost associated with some things.

It appears that energy has stabilized at around 3600 crowns, or it's been sitting about there for almost a week now.

3600?!

It was like 2500 last week!

BTW, on a side note, I don't think I'll be playing for the next couple of days. I'm putting my mist EN up for free if you guys wanna craft something.

I can craft:

Calibur

Blaster

Shadowtech Alchemer

Cobalt Armor Set (Helm and Armor)

Magic Hood

Jelly Shield

Owlite Shield

These are all 2 star weapons, so if you wanna get into Tier 2, you might need some of these. Let me know if you guys are interested. Just spot me the materials and crowns, and I'll provide the energy.

Edited by Kiyobi

All I gotta say for now is Fuck the graveyards. :)

Other than that, it seems like a neat game. I'm playing as Garianse so feel free to add me :)

Yeah, graveyards are retarded.

Having an elemental type sword helps. Or one that has Undead bonus...

But other than that... THEM RED BUGS

I'm surprised how much I'm okay with the energy limit. I don't like sinking a lot of time into one game, and it seems like I hit an energy "wall" right about the time I plan to quit anyway. The alchemy that requires a full day's worth of energy might be a problem, though.

I take it the recipes that require 200 energy are going to be impossible without shelling out a few bucks/crowns on top of whatever I'm paying for ingredients and the cost of the armor itself?

And as far as the graveyards go, relevant link about one of the guys who made the game (but might not be directly responsible for the Phantoms).

Edited by Thylacine
Trying to get the link to work - BB Code doesn't like me

I take it the recipes that require 200 energy are going to be impossible without shelling out a few bucks/crowns on top of whatever I'm paying for ingredients and the cost of the armor itself?

It may not be as bad as you think, as you go deeper in the clockworks the payout seems to go up alot. To put things in perspective, Doing just two floors in the second group of Tier 2 made me slightly more than 6000 crowns recently. Doing the first group of floors in tier 2 should net you anywhere from 3200-4000 crowns.

Or you can do what my guy does, he does alot of selling/buying in the energy market, and has turned quite a profit already. (Enough that he can seemingly afford to buy whatever he wants, and never seems to run out of energy). He hasn't bought any crystal energy with real money yet, and I doubt he'll ever need to, because he did the exact same thing with the doubloon market in puzzle pirates.

Considering it's my guy that does it, and not me I couldn't tell you. All I know is it takes patience, luck, and time. Many people do it with varying levels of success, he's not really special for playing the energy market. And he has alot of experience from doing the exact same thing for a good 5+ years in puzzle pirates, which uses the same microcurrency system.

I just get by playing the game short amounts of time, I use up 150-250 energy a day, and then get off to do work, or go to bed.