Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

So what, a year and a half isn't enough time between system launches?

You're missing the big picture. By the time the new console comes out, the 3DS should finally have some good games and might just be priced a bit cheaper, so it'll incentivize people to buy it at that point.

Relatedly, here's hoping the new console has decent launch titles. The 3DS' lineup was poor, and as good as Super Street Fighter 4 is, it just didn't hold my attention very long. Thank God for backwards compatibility.

The Dreamcast would like to have a word with you, as would the XBox.

Xbox had Halo and DoA3 as launch titles that were actually memorable and decent, but everything else was forgettable. Who the hell remembers Arctic Thunder or Fuzion Frenzy?

Dreamcast did fair better, I'll give you that.

Even if it's just to see how far these franchises can go, I'm interested in the Sixth Nintendo Console, but I have to wait for Smash 4 or a price drop, whichever comes first. Unless Nintendo can meet certain circumstances, I'll have to wait for both. I'm confident that Nintendo will make their own games good, for when have they not? I'm also confident that Nintendo will have its 3rd party support back. My favorite 3rd-party Nintendo games were for the N64, so the challenge is surpassing that.

Xbox had Halo and DoA3 as launch titles that were actually memorable and decent, but everything else was forgettable. Who the hell remembers Arctic Thunder or Fuzion Frenzy?

Dreamcast did fair better, I'll give you that.

Halo, DoA3, Project Gotham Racing, Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X (1 and 2 together), NFL Fever 2002... all got solid reviews. Even titles like AirForce Delta Storm and Fusion Frenzy had above average review scores (FF more so than ADS). And that number of titles is noticeably higher in count than the entire SNES launch line up.

The DC stands a bit better in terms of game count, regarding games that were worthwhile and above average.

A lot of you are in your 20's now which is why you are bitter (Nekofrog) and unsupportive of Nintendo's work lately. However, I know that there are lots of 7-12 year olds who went apeshit for Donkey Kong Country Returns (I have some cousins that play the Wii Mario, DKC, Zelda, Kirby games all day every day.) While there is definitely work to do to bridge the gap, saying "DKCR sucked because it didn't give the same wow factor when I played DKC for the first time 17 years ago!!!!!!!!1" is a bit unfair, don't you think.

DKCR isn't "Nintedo's work" really, its made by Retro Studio, and DKC wasn't their work either, it was Rare.

Regardless, DKCR is actually a very good game, but marred by a few things:

Can't use classic controller, have to use wiimote side ways or akward Wiimote+Nunchuck configuation which works better for 3D games than 2D.

HAVE to use "waggle" to do basic moves which could of been done with a button way easier in the old games.

No underwater levels.

TOO many minecart levels.

Havn't played it all, but Tiki masks as enemies and the tropical island theme feel more like a Crash thing than DK thing. Not sure if K.Rool shows up later, but hes not shown up through half the game so far. Just stupid magic tiki nonsense.

If these were fixed it would of been fantastic, but as is, I still think its a good game personally. I think thats a major problem for Wii games, is that instead of just trying to be a good game as possible, they try to incorporate waggling for no reason. If all of them had proper support for the Classic Controller, i think half the games would be improved dramatically.

Edited by Crowbar Man

DKCR isn't "Nintedo's work" really, its made by Retro Studio, and DKC wasn't their work either, it was Rare.

Regardless, DKCR is actually a very good game, but marred by a few things:

Can't use classic controller, have to use wiimote side ways or akward Wiimote+Nunchuck configuation which works better for 3D games than 2D.

HAVE to use "waggle" to do basic moves which could of been done with a button way easier in the old games.

No underwater levels.

TOO many minecart levels.

Havn't played it all, but Tiki masks as enemies and the island theme feel more like a Crash thing than DK thing.

If these were fixed it would of been fantastic, but as is, I still think its a good game personally.

You can actually fix the controls thanks to some Ocarina codes. Unfortunately, you need the Homebrew Channel to use Ocarina, and Retro should've added Classic Controller support in the first place, but it is something that can be fixed by the player.

Also, the island theme has been there since the original Donkey Kong Country. Not sure where you're getting the feeling that it's more of a "Crash thing" when DKC1 and 3 were both set on tropical islands.

A lot of you are in your 20's now which is why you are bitter (Nekofrog) and unsupportive of Nintendo's work lately. However, I know that there are lots of 7-12 year olds who went apeshit for Donkey Kong Country Returns (I have some cousins that play the Wii Mario, DKC, Zelda, Kirby games all day every day.) While there is definitely work to do to bridge the gap, saying "DKCR sucked because it didn't give the same wow factor when I played DKC for the first time 17 years ago!!!!!!!!1" is a bit unfair, don't you think.

Bitter?

How about I can recognize an awful game when I see one?

Also, the island theme has been there since the original Donkey Kong Country. Not sure where you're getting the feeling that it's more of a "Crash thing" when DKC1 and 3 were both set on tropical islands.

Taking place on an island and being island themed are two different things. The older game the only way you really knew it was an island was the overworld. The levels were all varied, usually in some lush jungle. The enemies were reptile pirates!

DKCR every level looks like some beach except for the cave levels. All the music is like tropical remixes or original terrible tropical songs. All the enemies are Tiki masks.

Taking place on an island and being island themed are two different things. The older game the only way you really knew it was an island was the overworld. The levels were all varied, usually in some lush jungle. The enemies were reptile pirates!

DKCR every level looks like some beach except for the cave levels. All the music is like tropical remixes or original terrible tropical songs. All the enemies are Tiki masks.

I'm guessing Rare still holds the copyright to Kremlings and that's why they didn't appear in the game at all.

I haven't been following this thread but just to respond to this one post... This is the dumbest thing I've EVAAAAAAAR, heard. People didn't stop caring about Nintendo because they got older, they stopped caring about Nintendo because Nintendo stopped caring about Nintendo.

Edited by Brandon Strader

I'm guessing Rare still holds the copyright to Kremlings and that's why they didn't appear in the game at all.

nintendo holds the copyright to every character that first appeared in a donkey kong game, except for banjo and conker who were created by rare before they appeared in diddy kong racing

DKC Returns was amazing. I'm 29. I had the Nintendo Power tape for the original game and I must've watched it ten to twenty times. I loved the new game and I'm at 156% right now. My only complaint is no underwater levels. You haters are nuts.

I'm 17 and I loved DKCR :<

I haven't been following this thread but just to respond to this one post... This is the dumbest thing I've EVAAAAAAAR, heard. People didn't stop caring about Nintendo because they got older, they stopped caring about Nintendo because Nintendo stopped caring about Nintendo.

Where did I say "People didn't stop caring about Nintendo because they got older"? All I said that the magic is still there for the kids, just like the magic was there when you were a kid and opened your SNES for the first time. So now that you are much older, you are expecting Nintendo to cater to your much older tastes.

I know that Nintendo's severe lack of quality sports and FPS games from 3rd party companies was a huge drawback...but at the same time, they sold the most units and were able to appeal to the most people, so there is no point in saying they failed or dropped the ball or Nintendo stopped caring about Nintendo blah blah blah. That is really the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

The real question and problem is that Nintendo isn't evolving their franchises. From the perspective of a guy who played every game in the series, that's an issue. From the perspective of a kid who just got his Wii, he doesn't care. And from the perspective of a loyal fan, he doesn't mind either. But it's not going to be a complete carbon copy, and even when it is, the fans bitch but the game ends up selling anyway (Twilight Princess).

So, from a business standpoint Nintendo is pretty much genius for keeping their franchises so very stagnant over the ages. Zelda especially. The fans don't even want it to change, that's the thing. Sales show that much. Actions are louder than words.

If Zelda is an extreme of that, then I'd say Mario is the exception to the rule, however, because the 3d series flops time and time again and yet Miyamoto keeps on making new ones. When I say "flop", I don't mean they totally tank, but compared to the 2d games they're pretty fuckin terrible. They should at least be given credit for that. Plus it's not like Metroid and Kirby are as bad as the Zelda games are. They change things around pretty frequently.

summary - Bitch about Zelda, but be thankful for Mario.