Mega Man: The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2011

DarkeSword

Introduction

The year is 2011, and the Robot Masters of the world have once again come together in order to fight for supremacy, but not with elemental abilities! No! They've decided to fight with a more potent weapon: PHAT BEATS, WAILIN' GUITARS, and OTHER SIMILARLY EPICALLY DESCRIBED MUSICAL ELEMENTS.

So begins OCR's second annual Grand Robot Master Remix Battle!

Current News

The mixing and voting stages for the Final Battle have ended.

WillRock wins! Congratulations!

Join the social group to see voting history.

Brackets

final-bracket.png

mega-man-bracket.png

proto-man-bracket.png

Voting and Results

Voting takes place at the GRMRB social group, here on the forums. Things to keep in mind when voting:

• You are required to vote in each battle taking place during the round. If you don't, none of your votes will be counted for that round.
  • You are not required to vote in battles that have a competitor advancing by default.
  • You are required to make an actual decision between two competitors for each battle, meaning, you cannot declare a draw or a tie. This will be counted as not voting and your other votes for other battles will not be counted.
  • You are not required to give detailed reasons as to why you voted the way you did. However, artists always appreciate comments about their music, so consider leaving some feedback anyway.
  • When voting, consider three things: how well the mix is made from a technical standpoint, the enjoyability of the mix, and—most importantly—how well the mix arranges both source tunes.
  • Post the name of the remixer you're voting for in boldface text.
  • Post only once in each voting thread.
  • Everyone is allowed (and encouraged) to vote.

Submission

All entries must be sent to me (DarkeSword) via PM on the forums.

File names must be in the following format:

Remixer - Title (Remixer's Robot Master vs. Opponent Robot Master).mp3

Example:

DarkeSword - Snow Problem (Blizzard Man vs. Cold Man).mp3

Please note that the robot master names are two words (e.g. Blizzard Man, not Blizzardman). Also note that versus is abbreviated with a period (e.g. Blizzard Man vs. Cold Man, not Blizzard Man vs Cold Man). Your artist name and mix title can be whatever capitalization you want but the robot master names must be capitalized properly (e.g. Blizzard Man, not blizzard man).

Properly formatted file names make it much easier for me to tag everything properly, which ensures good, consistent metadata on all the files that will be distributed to voters. If you can, strip all ID3 tags from your file before you send it to me, because I redo all the tags anyway.

You must adhere to this file name standard. If you don't, I will seriously consider disqualifying you, and I don't think anyone wants to be disqualified just because they couldn't name their file properly. Last competition I got really cryptic file names like gmrb2wip.mp3 and frost.mp3, and that kind of crap is unacceptable. I like running these competitions, so please don't make the grunt work a pain in the neck for me.

Badges

These are the official bracket badges for this year's GRMRB. Show your bracket pride!

Mega-Man-Bracket-Badge.pngProto-Man-Bracket-Badge.pngFinal-Bracket-Badge.png

Remix Archives

The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2010 - Final Release

The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2011 - Final Release

FAQ

How does it work?

You, the remixer, choose any Robot Master from Mega Man 1-6 (NES), Mega Man 7 (SNES), Mega Man 8 (PSX), Mega Man 9-10 (DLC), Mega Man and Bass (SNES/GBA), or Mega Man Powered Up (PSP). Choose wisely, because this will be your Robot Master throughout the entire tournament. Once all competitors choose their Robot Masters, they'll be matched up with an opponent.

When the round begins, remixers will have one week to write a "VS. Remix;" that is to say, a remix featuring the themes of their own Robot Master and their opponent's Robot Master.

When the round ends, a public voting period of one week will be conducted for each battle. Voters should consider production, enjoyability, and how well the piece incorporates both themes.

Like last year's Grand Maverick Remix Battle, this year's tournament will be single-elimination, with two brackets competing on alternating weeks to make things manageable. There will be a Mega Man Bracket and a Proto Man Bracket.

So do I just pick a Robot Master? Is it first-come-first-served?

I'll be doing a draft again for Robot Master selection. If you're planning on participating, please post a list of five Robot Masters you're interested in claiming, in the order of preference. Once everyone posts their lists, I'll go through and assign everyone their first-pick, resolving any conflicts with a coin-toss and moving down the lists as necessary. You will only be assigned one Robot Master for the competition.

I don't mind if people really want to claim Robot Masters from last year's competition (especially the ones eliminated in earlier rounds), but I'd really prefer it if people picked other songs to remix, for variety's sake. Here's a list of last year's Robot Masters:

Time Man, Metal Man, Galaxy Man, Slash Man, Tornado Man, Stone Man, Magnet Man, Cold Man, Wood Man, Plant Man, Heat Man, Ground Man, Flash Man, Cut Man, Bubble Man, Magma Man.

When does it start?

The draft/recruitment period will last two weeks, so tell your friends and get people to participate! I'm shooting for 16 remixers, but if we get 24 or 32 that'd be phenomenal. Once we have the minimum amount, I'll gauge how much more interest there is and go from there. We should be starting for sure around mid-May.

I'm not a remixer but I want to take part somehow. What can I do to help?

We need sigs and artwork and stuff, so if you're good with the Photoshops, that'd be a big help.

What about Mega Man X/Legends/Battle Network/Zero/ZX?

This tournament is limited to the the main Classic series games.

Can I be Dr. Wily/Dark Man/Dr. Cossack/Mr. X?

Those guys aren't Robot Masters, so no, sorry. No intro stages either.

What if we think Blackberries are stupid?

This is company-wide, Dwight.

Awesome! Unfortunately I don't have the time, nor are my skills exactly up to par to participate, but I loved observing and voting on the first GRMRB and the Maverick Remix Battle, so I will definitely be looking forward to seeing how this one turns out! Since I caught this from the get-go I can vote for every round.

Good luck everyone!

n00b or not, I'm not getting any more experience unless I participate in compos! Sign my ass up. :tomatoface:

1. Gravity Man
  2. Gemini Man
  3. Magnet Man
  4. Crystal Man
  5. Bubble Man

Yes, this is waaaaay more than your typical 1-2 hour compo. I'm still going to give it an honest shot, especially since I'm done with classes right before it starts.

Hey Darkesword, I know you're a judge/coordinator/album director/etc., but you should join this competition as a participant, too. I think it'd be interesting to see what you could bring to the table :-D

Also, Come on everyone! This is an awesome compo, get in on it.

To be honest, with everything else I have to do (on top of organizing this competition), I just don't have the time to devote to writing earnestly competitive remixes twice a month.