Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Dj Mystix

Your real name Mansoor Nazar

Your userid 11757 (DjMystix)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged Bayonetta/After Burner

Name of individual song(s) arranged After Burner

Composer : Hiroshi Yamaguchi

System : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, (After Burner on Arcade, Sega CD, Genesis)

Original Sources:

Bayonetta:

After Burner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY78laSGops

OCR WIP Thread:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32466

Comments:

OK first of all, I leave it totally up to you guys to decide which game you want to accept this mix for (Bayonetta or After Burner or BOTH) i.e. IF you accept it :)

My inspiration to write this mix came from Bayonetta. When I heard this song in the bike level, it reignited my love for the After Burner source. But I still wanted to make something for Bayonetta which is why I decided to write a sexy and romantic song (Keeping her in mind). As you can guess from the title, it IS written for her ;)

I don't know how to play a real sax but I tried my best to make the sax sound as human as possible because there is no way the mix can be liked by anyone if the sax sounded mechanical. The idea was to convert the high pump action track to a slow, atmospheric song. I've tried harder than usual to make the most out of lead samples. I've also added breath effects to flute at the end so it would sound real.

Also, the sax at 2:30 is not my original writing. It is inspired from the song below (2:21). I heard this song in a friend's car and thought this piece would totally fit into my mix.

One last thing, the flute at 2:58 is actually part of source. Most people don't know this since it comes after the main song repeats for several times (I'm sure you guys know this but thought I'd mention it). However at 4:06, I wrote something myself to give the song a proper ending.

I hope you like it!

I'm sorry that I cannot listen to of any sort of sexy sax music without having

come to mind.

Anyways, I like what you've done with this mix arrangement-wise. Slowing down the theme really adds a lot of character, and you've done some nice work adding even more in your instrumentation and careful treatment of the sax and flute. I am a little curious why you didn't maybe contact some of our sax players here, as there are a decent number, but regardless, this is sounding nice.

The sounds overall are a bit vanilla, and it's obvious they aren't real, but I think they do get the job done for the most part. Overall the bass drum isn't coming through much at all, and the snare comes off as really fake, and would be the only instrument I think could really be changed up.

Sexier than a shirtless man serenading on a food court table.

YES

Another mix I reviewed on the workshop. ;) The extra work you put into the improving the sax really paid off. Sounds and production are clean, maybe a touch heavy on the reverb at points, and that beat could have been fatter, but overall this is a smooth, well-constructed mix.

If we could somehow get a fix without the cut-off ending, that would be cool (and if so, see if he can boost the drums a bit too).

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice arrangement, and though the samples themselves aren't mindblowing, the care put into the construction and execution of them is really solid, and easily surpasses their origin.

The reverb is a bit much, but the track still has decent clarity, and the sax sequencing is pretty impressive. The weak points are the piano stiffness and the drums, but overall I think the arrangement and sequencing gets this over the bar.

Yes

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2:30-2:58 of the arrangement vs. 2:21-2:54 of "So Right"

3. Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited.

I love the track in a vacuum, but nonetheless, the use of the "So Right" writing from the Roadside Romeo film soundtrack with the saxophone from 2:30-2:58 is arguably too much to be called "extremely limited." I had it at a bit over 10% of this piece.

Not necessarily looking to formalize something, but what's Dave's & the panel's POV on "extremely limited" outside song usage. 28 seconds may not seem like a lot. Does it matter whether it's 28 seconds of, say, a 2 minute arrangement vs. a 4 1/2 minute one, or it is really just about the length of time outside, non-VGM sources are used?

See this past decision and Dave's comments for more background: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13763