Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Dawx

Chiwalker

I want to thank you for isolating all of the sound effects directly from the game in one place. Some people think you can just put sounds from the game arbitrarily all over the track, and easily come up with a good remix.

I would listen to this track as-is. Good work.

*see most recent, or first post*

- Done more EQ with various instruments

- Added some soundscaping in the piano section

- ReEQ'd piano and the low piano 'Hits'

- Took attention to small details regarding piano arrangement (velocity, quantization, etc.)

After the judges reacted negatively to the piano section, I feel that the piano is still the only thing that needs to be worked on (and maybe re-written or taken out and replaced). But my question to anyone is - Do you think the piano arrangement section is ARRANGED poorly, or does it not sound right and therefore not MIXED correctly?

I'm still inventing new stuff for the wobble bass each time I open up this project ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Reviewed Snare and changed it's umph between trance and dub sections.

Monitored dynamics of instruments closer.

Readded triplet delay to piano.

Added a celesta section to the intro piano (playing the original melody) part to suggest the piano is more improv.

The celesta part I think could be good, but maybe it's not the right instrument?

-----

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I like the synth that comes in at 0.31, and the synth at 2.38 is really neat. This track has a nice atmosphere.

I noticed a couple issues. First, the high synth at the beginning seems a bit distracting and loud to me. I'd turn it down a little. The other thing that sticks out to me is the drums. I feel like they're too weak. Especially the kick, which doesn't enough punch or 'umph' to it. I usually expect a deep, strong kick with trance. I'm not sure about the snare, it sounds like it has too much of a 'pssh' sound, if that makes sense. The dub section sounds fine as far as dubstep goes. I'm a little bias though because I've never liked dubstep.

I'm enjoying what you have here, keep up the good work!

Ok. I'm the man of the hour.

I just moved in and It's my first time on ocr since last week!

I love both style and think it fitted togheter in this song. The only thing I bother is why a snare in the trance part?

Otherwise the intro is a bit long, the kick a little bit quiet and the bass too.

Now for the dubstep ! ^^

Verey nice glitchy intro. I would tune down the volume on the sfx tho. They are loud next to the rest of the track.

The LFO ARE GREAT. Keep this part. It's really really better than the last time I took a listen. I really love this track.

Hope I helped a bit :)!

It's been a while since I posted on this one...I would say that my previous issue with the track has been fixed.

Normally don't like dubstep, but the sound effects make that section 50X better!

I agree with what Cash and Change said about the intro.

Sounds much better than what my memory recalls of your previous take.

Greatly appreciate the comments!

I redid snare and kick - tryin to get closer to a hardtrancey sound.

Added some more bloops to dub section and monitored levels closer.

Also, is it just me (I NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS PART!) or does the pre-gliding bass/super phased drop sound outweigh the actual dubstep section itself? Please let me know if you feel it lost energy in the drop b/c then I may rework that as well.

I may consider doing an intro, but other than that I am, hopefully, one iteration from resubbing this.

(left the other one up for comparison)

http://soundcloud.com/chiwalker-1/uuc-iteration-3-26

• 3 weeks later...

The intro had me a bit worried, so I did some math and arrived past the guideline minimum 50% source, even without counting the second source. So that's good. For a track this long, the 44 seconds of intro I couldn't tie to either source is tolerable (unlike the arghbright synth melody at 0:25).

The interpretation is a bit predictable, but the minor key take on the source is a welcome change, and I think the source melodies are sufficiently creatively used throughout. it might be worth mentioning the second source when you resub it.

The arrangement is a bit problematic. Half the time it seems to be building towards a pretty cool edm track, the other half it seems to lose where it is and where it's going. It spends a lot of time building towards something, but only transitions to a different build-up. I guess 3:08 and 4:33 where the parts that were being built towards, but I honestly felt the track lost energy when entering the 3:08 part. Probably the rhythms and lack of strong mids. The dubstep finale work better in that regard, and works especially well in slowing the track down for the ending.

The intro works ok but leaves me at 1:11 already feeling like the track is winding down. That break and subsequent build-up seem to come straight from the intro, not from a high point. I don't think that works, structurally.

The sounds are quite vanilla, but I'm more concerned with how empty the track sounds at times, and how dominating pads and other sounds get when they're there. The piano could be more separated from the trance stabs in the 0:44 part. On the other hand, the 1:12 part has the opposite problem, where the piano stands out a bit too much. The pads get dominating at around 2:00. I get that they need to be big for the 2:10 part, but that part hasn't imo been appropriately been built up to, and it's more intense than when you've got drums in the track. That seems a little unbalanced.

As already stated, the empty mids in the 3:08 part, along with a rhythm that until 3:16 holds the track back (a valid arrangement technique, it just seems placed wrong here) hurts the track, as does the heavy compression/sidechaining in that part. If you look at the wave display on soundcloud, you'll see that you've left a few dBs of headroom. Seems like you normalized the track to a different peak, so there's probably an instrument that's too loud somewhere in the dubstep part. You could also limit the drum transients to make further use of the headroom you've got. All this while reducing the compression (higher threshold, lower ratio, shorter release, something) on everything else.

Much of the track has passable sounds, a bit vanilla but not terribly so. The arghbright lead at 0:25 needs some fixing, tho, as could the eq/filter at 3:07, it's a bit too resonant.

Overall, it's far from terrible, but there's things left to fix, and I'm not sure how well the arrangement works: there's parts that do and parts that don't. It's also got a personal pet peeve of mine: voice clips/sound effect, but don't let that bother you.

You've managed to avoid most of the problems on the checklist, so I won't even use that.

I think it's primarily the arrangement that's a problem here, the technical things are fairly easy to fix. In this state, I'd probably reject it if I was a judge, probably with a resub vote suggestion you rethink the arrangement. It seems lacking in this nebulous thing called direction. It's like you have all the right parts but they're not in the right place.

That's my arghlong review, make of it what you will.

I just wanna emphasize... The first :45 seconds are kind of long for an intro. So I agree... Some hints at what's to come there might help.

Also those really high synths coming in at :21 REALLY pierced my ears a lot. Some people are more sensitive to those frequencies (also I'm wearing headphones), so please, tone them down, it actually hurt lol.

I'm getting clipping with lower tones at around 1:45 - 1:50, also those synths might be a LITTLE too overpowering by that point, they drown out the piano really fast, and I understand that they are taking the wheel, but they sound too flat for the duration. Maybe give them a bit more movement in tone (head towards treble a bit more) and maybe start adding some elements (like a throbbing eighth note something under them that slowly pushes the mix forward) instead of just starting w/ sidechaining a those synths after the pause. Hope that makes sense... The synths are whole notes, they flatten the progression... Finding a way to subtly drive into the next section would help.

Also, by 3:10, I'm starting to lose interest in the song. By here, your song is begging for some accompany to those gated synths. Get a lead in there, solo around them, accompany them in the progression. The song seems like, the further it goes, the more it tapers off into just a beat and a chord progression... It's really missing something.

Also holy shit at 4:44, that LAUGH lmao. Awesome. Why didn't the rest of the song have stuff this interesting?

Good luck *_*

I'm no mod, but I work with this genre a lot. I like it. I heard no high synths splitting my head open. (Beats Audio Headphones/Pioneer DJM 800 mixer). Sound FX are nice. What I would do is level out the sounds a bit more and make it sound a bit more even. Love the piano. All in all this is great. I enjoyed the listen. Listen to it in depth and have a play about with the mixing.

This is talent. Keep it up.

Seems like people needs a Masters in Audio Tech or engineering to get stuff successfully submitted and accepted on here. lol

Possibly colab sometime mate,

-JT

;D

Seems like people needs a Masters in Audio Tech or engineering to get stuff successfully submitted and accepted on here. lol

Explain my ten posted remixes, then, I ain't got no masters. :P

This board is a great place to learn to listen critically, and that's pretty much a requirement to making good music, no matter where you are. :D

Explain my ten posted remixes, then, I ain't got no masters. :P

This board is a great place to learn to listen critically, and that's pretty much a requirement to making good music, no matter where you are. :D

Haha, agreed mate. I get discouraged easily I guess. It dosen't seem like the genre of music I remix in gets accepted too often and mixes with guitars, or rock influences get accepted a lot easier. I try and incorporate a bit of everything in a mix.

Oh, and my arguing statement is, some people are gifted and their music just "Ticks" or you know people. [=

Much respect Rozovian.

In fact I'm about to put my Lost woods remix up for mod review this upcoming week. It's DJ Friendly so a lengthy Drum/bass intro and outro is included.

Piece and peace,

-JT