OCR01328 - Super Mario Bros. "Bowser Is Pissed"

djpretzel

Overall, the mood and emotion of the music changes alot, sometimes slow, sometimes fast and harder sounding, which isn't bad but... it does kind of weaken the entire song overall (although individually I like both parts [the quieter sections and the harder section]).

Overall, very true to the original, a good job turning that little sound clip into a four minute long piece. I would have rather seen the entire song sound like the ending (which is more "rocking" I guess). The title is misleading, as bowser doesn't sound THAT angry until the ending of the song.

Still though, worth the download if you like SMB.

If you're looking for a solid Super Mario Bros. ReMix. . .then prepare to be sorely disappointed. If you're looking for a generic metal song with lots of ripping synthetic guitars and some SMB thrown in for the Hell of it. . .you've got the right ReMix.

In my opinion, this wasn't worth the time it took to download. If I wanted something original and metally(?), I'd hit up Newgrounds or MP3.com or something. This is hardly a ReMix at all. More like an original composition with the Super Mario Bros. theme thrown in here and there just for the Hell of it. And even then, it's only a half-decent original composition. And on that note, this ReMix strongly reminds me of "The Legend of Zelda UnderWorldPressureCooker," by wRenchpilot. . . And not in a good way, either. In a sort of. . ."I couldn't think of anything better to do" way.

I'm sorry, but this completely fails to impress me in any aspect at all. How this became an OverClocked ReMix is beyond me.

Woo, my 16th birthday remix! And it's a nice present too. At first it seems just kinda crazy, but when the theme kicks in, it really becomes great. I can see Mario and Bowser fighting against each other in an epic battle with this music. It's great stuff, especially considering the fact you really don't have much to work with. I love it when remixers take simple tunes and manage to turn them into long, full-fledged remixes while still letting the original theme shine through clearly. Bravo.

Excellent remix. I love how the original mix gets stretched, the bassline of the original song gets redone and redone, and then the insane guitar comes out to play. Bravo!

If you're looking for a solid Super Mario Bros. ReMix. . .then prepare to be sorely disappointed. If you're looking for a generic metal song with lots of ripping synthetic guitars and some SMB thrown in for the Hell of it. . .you've got the right ReMix.

In my opinion, this wasn't worth the time it took to download. If I wanted something original and metally(?), I'd hit up Newgrounds or MP3.com or something. This is hardly a ReMix at all. More like an original composition with the Super Mario Bros. theme thrown in here and there just for the Hell of it. And even then, it's only a half-decent original composition. And on that note, this ReMix strongly reminds me of "The Legend of Zelda UnderWorldPressureCooker," by wRenchpilot. . . And not in a good way, either. In a sort of. . ."I couldn't think of anything better to do" way.

I'm sorry, but this completely fails to impress me in any aspect at all. How this became an OverClocked ReMix is beyond me.

Maybe because those here have better musical listening skills and taste, here. Almost the entire song uses the bass lines and the main lines from the original, reworked with many different instruments in different parts of the song, and extrapolates the main part and the bassline all over the song; sometimes together, sometimes seperate.

But I probably lost you the second I typed "bass lines". I'm guessing you never paid attention to that when you played the original game.

Excellent remix. I love how the original mix gets stretched, the bassline of the original song gets redone and redone, and then the insane guitar comes out to play. Bravo!

Maybe because those here have better musical listening skills and taste, here. Almost the entire song uses the bass lines and the main lines from the original, reworked with many different instruments in different parts of the song, and extrapolates the main part and the bassline all over the song; sometimes together, sometimes seperate.

But I probably lost you the second I typed "bass lines". I'm guessing you never paid attention to that when you played the original game.

Stepping aside from the flaming here, there is absolutely no question about the level of arrangement here. Like Joseph Collins here pointed out, and it's certainly something I heard on my own while judging it, the usage of the source tune is perfectly recognizable throughout the major majority of the mix. Even voting NO on it myself, that kind of conclusion isn't even close to true.

I remember that thread by Evil_Ice. I even posted in it a few times. I remember PriZM taking up the challenge. I recall his very first WIP from all the versions to the submission. Personally, this is the style of a remix that I like hereing, a small phrase manipulated over and over to create a new beast. Good job, PriZM.

Metal? Was the remix replaced with another one after you wrote that? I hear nothing even remotely metal about it. Yes, there's guitars ("Heavy" ones at that) toward the end. But that doesn't make it metal. If it didn't have those techno(?) drums, then perhaps I could see some logic in calling it metal.

lots of ripping synthetic guitars

Just wanted to clear something up here. I never use synth guitars, I prefer to record my own. I figured it would be obvious while listening to the song. God I just wish negative criticism was more constructive.

Before we go on about the song being too much original material, I will tell you how I did it. Keep in mind that there are two instruments in the original, one we will call the bass and the other the drones.

0:00 - 0:10 -> Bass line from the source used as an organ intro

0:10 - 0:22 -> Complete original material

0:22 - 0:33 -> aHa ! Same complete original material with the drones played on guitar added to it.

0:33 - 1:20 -> Basically the source with an added drum beat.

1:20 - 2:00 -> Original material following the chromatic structure of the source

2:00 - 2:25 -> Bass line from the source spread over 8 measures, supposed to be recognizable

2:25 - 2:47 -> Same thing with the added drones played on guitar.

2:47 - 3:23 -> Heavy guitars playing my original material with a solo lead guitar playing the bass line from Kondo's song as a melody.

3:23 - 4:00 -> Guitar solo over my heavy rhythm guitar and the melody still playing in background.

4:00 - 4:15 -> One second original material / one second drones.

So 52 seconds of original material always resolving on something from Kondo. This is about 20% of the song.

Anyways I'm not here to prove anything to anybody, just wanted to clear things up, because I spent weeks trying to write something interesting with a 3bars source material without even a melody, and I don't appreciate people bashing on my song without an apparent or justifiable reason.

That's so good. This other version is very diversified. You substituted some instruments. And I love the rock concept in 02:47.

Yes. I heard it before in WIP forum. I love it.

Overall, nice mix. I was listening to that more than the original track! Aww, much better. That's really quite cool. Sweeping guitar in my ears. That make me shady laugh. Pure rock! In my opinion, that's really good to a new Mario game. Seriously, in Bowser's Castle or something thus. Because this opens my imagination to frightful things. "Okey dokey!" "Mamamia! We've been nailed by the tools in our pockets!" The beats makes me dance. And the other instruments are great. The melody created is good too (01:18/02:25). Hell! A very high quality mix. Nice work, PriZm. I can't wait to hear more from you in the future.

Cheers.

BOWSER IS PISSED EVER!!!!

I thought I'd let everyone know that I come here for the exact same reasons I go to mp3.com and that is why I hate this mix and why I can't think of why it's good because I have too many prejudices on my mind hey look at me I'm 100% critical and can't have any fun or look upon any other intentions of why music is created.

I like this song even on crappy speakers at low volume. It's a unique style, so one listen just isn't going to cut it. Creating the song just for the hell of it, because a random concept came in someone's head? Well I see it as the concept came in the head and then musical creativity was involved every step of the way thereafter, rather than such a haphazard making to get the process done as quickly as possible.

Get some goals straight. Who am I talking to I dunno who cares.

Every song I listen to I come in with prejudices. However, too many times to count I have come out appreciating a song after exposing myself to it. This is based on the music itself, so one could say I am just forming new types of prejudices...yet those new ones are actually valid...and yet I can still be critical of them even though I enjoy them overall. Of course if there are too many points to criticize that would mean overall enjoyment would be gone. IT'S ALL SO SIMPLE and related to the review of this particular remix in so many fashions, that one could call all of those fashions in one number: ZERO! o wait.

Oddity, could you mark more clearly where you're being sarcastic and where not? Text doesn't come complete with vocal intonations.

Anyway, the mix. The mix is good. You took a minimal riff and turned it into something big, powerful, long, and LISTENABLE. For that, you get kudos for certain. I'm not sure my own imagination could come up with something this good in my head from that limited source. Good work!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01328 - Super Mario Bros. "Bowser Is Pissed"