OCR01328 - Super Mario Bros. "Bowser Is Pissed"

djpretzel

Awesome progressive metal representation! And a terrific mix concept too. I've never considered what the inside of Bowser's head would sound like, but I'm pretty sure this would come close to it. After spending so much time outfitting your lair with booby traps, lava pits and minions, I'd be pissed off watching someone traverse it all without breaking a sweat too.

This mix is littered with ingenuity and complexity, and operates on dual levels of the stylistic spectrum. It goes from technical metal wizardry to an undeniably brilliant traditional heavy guitar climax. It conveys its narrative about as well as any mix I've heard on the site, and does it with style and substance. On top of that, and most importantly, it's just a great listen.

You'd be mistreating yourself to not give this at least a once-through. The genre may not be for every pair of ears, but its hard to deny the amount of skill present in it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01328 - Super Mario Bros. "Bowser Is Pissed"
  • 3 years later...

Holy god, what is my other account's 2005 post even TALKING about?

Anyway, I'm posting in this era on mixes if anything crosses my mind while going through every mix on this site and if they're still apart of my favorites. With that out of the way, I wanted to say a couple criticisms: the synth during the intro of the shredding rhythmic guitar entrance could be quite a bit louder, to give prominence, though not to the point of synth grate. Also, that section repeats a bit too much prior to the Flight of the Bumblebee section.

It's funny how small tweaks could make the past have way more perfection. It's gotten to the point where a few extra repeats of measures makes me embarrassed to listen to something; but I have to look past it, no matter how painful that "microcosm" is.