OCR02381 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'elegy of the solipsist'

DragonAvenger

Nice soundscape with a lush sortof jazzy hip hop sound; I wish the piano was just a few DB louder to take center stage, but it definitely does some work as-is. THe pads are a touch loud, but everything else feels really nice.

I wasn't feeling the quote clips that much either, which ended up being non-distinct and difficult to hear clearly, just adding distraction for me.

The arrangement was good, with an expanded sound and some nice piano comping and runs. The source here really feels like it was treated with care, and the song itself, while having a pretty static backing, still has a lot of interesting stuff going on. The beats seemed pretty auto-pilot, but the relaxed mood was actually enhanced be the repetition, so I'm willing to consider it a stylistic choice.

The concept of this mix is pretty high level, and while I'd prefer the expression of the theme to be said via music rather than voice clips, I think there is enough going on here to be considered a pass for me.

Yes

this is one of my favorite Zelda tunes, and you've done it great justice. you've definitely established a distinct sound, always full of lush, flowing textures and beautiful color tones. I agree that the beat can get a little repetitive at times, and those killer basslines could've been brought forward a bit more, but overall, I'm loving this mix. nice work. :)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

The gentlemen hit most of what I wanted to say. I'm never usually a fan of quotes/sound effects, and this isn't anything different, as I find it hard to focus on what's actually being said, and more hearing it as just a noise factor overall. Balance could be tweaked slightly, with the piano coming up a little, and the bass/pads coming down a touch.

Arrangement is pretty fantastic, and I enjoyed listening throughout. I didn't find the lack of drum variety bothersome at all, since there are so many other details to take in. Fantastic soundscape all around, really like how this one came together.

YES

• 2 months later...

Total agreement on all of the production/drum writing crits mentioned already, so I won't beat a dead horse (I'll only say that even just varying up the hats from the 8th note pattern would've gone a long way in this regard). I heard a few mixing issues as well where it seemed like some elements were bleeding/interfering with each other, but nothing major there.

One thing that threw me that I'd like to ask the mixer about is the sudden entrance & exit of the high string/pads at :24. It sounds like they get cut off mid-phrase, which doesn't sound intentional to me.

Yeah, it's a stylistic choice, but I would've cut the vocal clips :)

Fadeout ending was just ok. It could've been strechted out longer. Personally speaking, I prefer actual endings vs fadeouts, but that's not to say you should never use them - it just didn't feel like this song came to a real conclusion in the end.

I will comment that you've done a great job expanding on such a short source; while both staying true to the original and keeping the track sonically interesting to listen to.

I'd yes this, but I want to hear if that string part is intentional or not before it hits the front page so:

Yes, conditional on string (flub?)