*NO* Super Cars 'Crazy Super Funk'

djpretzel

Hi there, i'd like to submit another song (third time lucky!).

Remixer Name: Ellywu2

E-Mail: cje4@kent.ac.uk

Game Remixed: Supercars

Individual Song: In Game (A)

System: Atari ST, Amiga

Composer: ....

Link:

Title: CrazySuperFunk

Well, this is my take on the ingame music for Supercars, a truly awesome racing game for the atari and amiga systems. I tried to make it into a live sounding funk song, i took a lot of inspiration from James Brown, like the drum solos etc. Hope you enjoy. If there are any problems, i'd be glad to fix them up. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't like the canned audience noise.

The thought that comes to mind is "mish-mash": instruments doing their own thing that happen to be playing at once with some random soloistic parts mixed in for good measure; a clashing and directionless arrangement. The "solos" in particular irk me as they have no place in the song and simply come and go, especially the weak Amiga sounding synth at 1:54 and again at 2:20. Some riffs and passages would be pretty cool if they were cohesive and were developed. Ending is just more of that hackneyed audience noise.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not really one for clapping and stuff like that if it isn't real. But anyway...

Love the hardness of the drums, I thought that was great. Some of the intro with the bass and organ sounded really messy, like off-key kind of messy.

Nice groove in this mix, although the 'get up' vocal samples were pretty cheesy. The sound is clipping all over the place in some sections, so that would have to be remedied above all else.

NO

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/archive/C64Music/Daglish_Ben/Super_Cars.sid - Subtunes 1 & 2 (just an ending jingle)

Don't forget the game was also on the C64. Was a bitch tracking down the source until I found out it was also on that system. Intelligent choice of genre for the mix here as the source tune really translates well to the funk genre. Had this on VGF52 to bring in the the noise, bring in the funk.

Intro's pretty cool with some crowd SFX alongside some nice bassline activity and laid back cymbal work. Hear a weird noise at :18 and again at :27. When you moved the bassline higher while it was in tandem with the organ work from :25-:34, it was really awkward-sounding. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it never ends up sounding quite right. Heh - at :34, you brought in the Ari Asulin-style™ slap bass sample of extreme discomfort.

Though the mixing could have been better, so things sounded like they were coming from the same stage, I liked the percussion work and hope it wasn't just some drum loops or anything like that. The voice sample at 1:25 & 1:33 was really stapled on top of the soundfield and didn't mesh well with the music at all. Got odd notes again from 2:00-2:16 as your low organ/keyboard notes sounded wrong when layered with your bassline. 2:17 had some more string work. The groove is fairly decent, but the texture seems pretty unrealisitic given the live setting you were going for. Everything sounded like it was upfront and at nearly the same volume, so re-examine the balance among your instruments with the volume and the panning/placement.

The applause you had and the beginning and end was a decent touch, but given the nature of the track sounding so clean and in-your-face, the fact that the crowd didn't sound crystal clear strained the quasi-authnetic live atmosphere you were going for. The playing sounds too robotically/perfectly timed though it's going for a live sound, e.g. the note-to-note movement and timing on stuff like the bass/strings and some of the drumwork. I felt like things were supposed to sound funky, spontaneous, and powerful, but it wasn't quite gelling together like it should.

This was definitely a quality arrangement in my opinion, so I hate to give you a review of sorts where it seems like I'm bagging on everything. Wish I could better articulate how to make this a more realisitic-sounding performance, but certainly check out the ReMixing forum for tips on potentially fine-tuning this one with some more realistic performance dynamics. A shame to be so borderline on this, but it needs a little bit of refinement to push it over the edge. This was pretty strong material from an obscure game that I'd like to see posted eventually. Nice job so far, Chris. Don't get discouraged, bro.

NO (please resubmit)

I don't mind the applause stuff so much. It certainly sounds more realistic than playing piano at an english pub </obscure reference>. Still, something's up with the mixing here in this piece; those drums sound like they're clipping when they get loud. Maybe it's just my headphones? Either way, they're too poppy and stick out too much in the mix.

That's the main problem with this mix. There are instances where the balance between elements is pretty bad.

Nice groove, nice arrangement, but I think it needs some better mixing and mastering.

NO